Best Youth Bands

drummergurl

i think ive already said who i think are some of the top youth bands in the uk, but most have been mentioned. i see that people think st helens youth are a good youth band. i dont disagree. but what i do think, is that st helens are on a downward slope now. i think that they arent as good as they once were.

in my eyes any youth band who can put a band of under 19's (with perhaps 3 tutors) out at a contest should be proud! no matter if they come last at the contest, or if they win. afterall im sure that lots of brass bands have beginners bands, or junior bands that run along side the band, and have members of the band teaching them. its a small minority of the amount of beginners bands and junior bands that can get enough players in the band to enter a youth band at a contest. (make sense?)

every band (including adult bands) has players who are good, and players who arent so good. the good players tend to be those with a bit more experience! having those players in the band gives other players some determination. particularly if you are young in a senior band, you can aspire to be as good as one of the players in your band.

most of the better youth bands will be those with more older players that have more experience.

ino we'r not the best i never said we were and its going to show this year at music for youth just like it did at the nationals we'l be luky if we get any thing at music for youth this year no offense to ian hes going to do the best he can to get us up to scratch but we'l have about 2 practises before it ann with the wind band holiday a few weeks before we don't have much time left and when we'r up againts such good bands again (newport i think, youth brass 2000, mount charles n a loads i can't rememeber)

sorry to any one i have offended

Last edited:
has anyone heard Wardle recently they've really come on in the last 12 months they were really gd on whit friday and the entertainment contest if they continue like they have then they'l most likely be taking some prizes home every soon

dyl

Rochdale_Euph/Ben said:
ino we'r not the best i never sed we were and its going to show this yr at music 4 youth just like it did at the nationals we'l be luky if we get ne fin at music 4 youth this yr no offense 2 ian es gunna do the best e can 2 get us up 2 scratch but we'l av about 2 practises before it n with the wind band holoday a few weeks before we don't av much time left n when we'r up againts such gd bands again (newport i think, youth brass 2000, mount charles n a load i can't rememeber)

sorry 2 any one i have offended

Ben: just in case you've missed Peter's earlier message, here it is again (for the FINAL time):

PeterBale said:
I realise this thread is mainly targetted at you younger folk, but, for the benefit of us "oldies" who like to follow what's going on, can we please try to cut down on the txt spk?

Thank you. PB, Mod

Can I also point you in the direction of the tMP Rules and Guidelines: http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=56

in particular Rule 4(e):

4. Bad Language: Please do not use bad language or make needless, incessant usage of:
(e) "txt" Speak - which is very hard to read and quite frustrating​

if 4 is all you have then start a brass quartet there loads of fun. a group of us from band have started one and we'r doing load of music you can't do in brass band more along the lines of jazz etc ragtime because we do loads of the stuff temperence 7 did

yonhee

Haha tiger rag! We really couldnt do a brass qaurtet were rubbish. Oh and Ive just realised theres five of us. Or possibly six but were never all there at the same time. St Helens youth are good. I dont believe I just said that...

drummergurl

yonhee said:
Haha tiger rag! We really couldnt do a brass qaurtet were rubbish. Oh and Ive just realised theres five of us. Or possibly six but were never all there at the same time. St Helens youth are good. I dont believe I just said that...

you dont believe you just said what?

Steve

Rochdale_Euph/Ben said:
has anyone heard Wardle recently they've really come on in the last 12 months they were really gd on whit friday and the entertainment contest if they continue like they have then they'l most likely be taking some prizes home every soon

This highlights a major issue in youth banding, when I first began playing 9 years ago Wardle were THE band to beat (with Gwent, Lothian, Stockport) but they were awesome. They are sounding good again (aparently) and so another cycle has completed. A youth band can be the best around in August then the worst on the planet in September when the older players have gone. Having conducted one of the previously mentioned bands, I loved the comments by little_miss_marcroft, good on you. The rivalry between youth bands is disgusting and something I tried to eradicate during my time at the front. As for overage players, who can honestly say they havent known of a player who helped out a band in desperate times despite their age.

lynchie

I've spoken to more people who are ex-youth band players since I last posted and they gave me even more examples of overage players, but in the end, the best band will still win... I think a mix of available resources and the quality of conductor usually makes the standard of a youth band. Anyway, it's only a step on the ladder to real banding anyway... ;)

Kayleigh

St.Dennis Youth Band, (who i play for) put up an excellent performance at Bugle on saturday. it was a shame that we didnt have any competition. Were they afraid?? Lol!

sevenhelz

personally i think all the fuss over borrowed players is over the top. i mean, yeah you could bring back a good soloist (and i do think most borrowed players are recent exes of the band...) but one soloist doesnt bring up the standard of the ensemble playing, in fact they can put people off... so...

and i don't remember us having any players from terribly far away, except perhaps alastair(sp?) who played trombone for us for about a year. that was a while ago and we didn't drag him in, he chose to come to us because he liked us. sorry if i sound defensive here but we really are a town band and it's our conductor that makes us the standard we are.

anyway i love hearing youth bands because there's so much enthusiasm and potential :) i could and will happily say well done! to west lothian for their nationals wins in the past few years, it just shows the standards everywhere are going up.
xx

jingleram

sevenhelz said:
i could and will happily say well done! to west lothian for their nationals wins in the past few years, it just shows the standards everywhere are going up.
xx

That's what I like to see, respect for an opposing (maybe not sure) band. I think we need to have more of that around at the moment, and if we do see mutual respect in youth banding, then i think the whole standard will be raised!

Andy Moore

Rochdale_Euph/Ben said:
although i play 4 rochdale youth i erd that st. helens drag players in from much more then 10 miles (wardle) were we get them from bwt 3 miles ov our music centre. but they'r all gd, west lothian, greater gwent (newport music centre) st. helens, stockport 2 name just a few but unfortunately i disagree wiv the way they all get players by draftin the in from all over, then usin the name ov sum random little town.

We don't drag anyone mate, and we only have a few players from outside St Helens, i.e. W*gan, or Ormskirk. I don't think we have anyone who's from Wardle.

Last edited:
camborne only cause i play for them put there the best band i ave played for at the mo and were ave got camborne + mount charles etc cornwall's the best

Product tMP members are discussing