Best Tuba Player?

Tuba or Bass?

• Total voters

Lassonbass

Not that I'm biased, but in the Bflat bass stakes, when it comes to the current generation, I'd say Grezzy takes some beating. However, I know he believes that Derek Jackson was the ultimate break-through player who paved the way for all to follow......

Alice

Pål Magne Austnes from Stavanger band is the most amazing tuba player EVER. His playing at the European and the Open was unbelievable.

brassneck

Mrs Fruity said:
On the subject of John Fletcher, the best thing I've ever heard him play is the Sleeping Beauty Waltz, where he plays all of the parts himself. Unfortunately we've lost the tape, so if anyone can tell me which album it's from, I'd be very grateful.
... erm, took me ages to reply to this but the album it came off was Le Tuba Enchantee recorded in Toyko in 1980. Michael Reeves was the pianist and has a good wide selection of music on disc. (... and no, I'm not selling it to anybody! I was lucky to buy it years ago.)

Amazing choices of tuba players listed on this thread and I will add more of my favourite players over the years. Walter Hilgers, Michael Lind, Floyd Cooley, Gene Pokorny, Harvey Phillips, Daniel Perantoni, Tommy Johnson, Bob Stewart, Oren Marshall, Roland Szentpali etc. etc. etc. (... far too many players to list because of their individuality and technique).

Is there anything in the rulebook that stops bands using the European/USA style of rotary-valved chimney-stack style of tubas? Totally different experience compared to a Sovereign, Yamaha or Courtois. :-?

brassneck

oops! wrong CD! (... just found it) What's on this is another Tchaikovsky,.... a quartet version of the Overture from The Nutcracker Suite! Still great though. :-?

Damnit! Now found the LP the Sleeping Beauty Waltz was recorded on... Divertimento (1977, Argo(Decca) ZRG 851) with PJBE.

Last edited:

tubafran

brassneck Is there anything in the rulebook that stops bands using the European/USA style of rotary-valved [i said:
chimney-stack[/i] style of tubas? Totally different experience compared to a Sovereign, Yamaha or Courtois. :-?
We had a thread on this some time ago as follows

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6107&highlight=rotary

and there is nothing in the rules preventing the playing of tubas or any other instrument (save a trombone) with rotary valves. See more of them in European bands however than any UK based bands - interesting to know exactly how many bands in the UK have rotary valve tubas. I have only seen one at a contest earlier this year.

brassneck

... thanks for the link. The tuba question reminds me of the situation when Ifor James replaced tenor horns with tenor cors in the '70s. I don't remember if they were actually used in competition.

p.s., ... this was with Besses!

Lil Miss

there was this awesome player who had recently played at the international brass festival, Oystein Baadsvik.....so good!!!

Tony Tuba

Sam Pilafian any day! Just get hold of Empire Brass' 'Braggin' in Brass' CD and hear for yourselves! Especially Aint Misbehavin and When the Saints.

TT

The best I have heard has to be John Fletcher.

In the SA banding world at the moment I don't think there are many if any that are better than Paul Drury. He is a great section leader as well as being fine soloist.

Ali

On BBb I would have to say Grezzy, Derek Jackson and Dean Morley. On EEb, it would be either Mr Gourlay, Pat Sheridan or my old mucker Peter Smith. And by the way. Its a Tuba, regardless of pitch!

Anonymous_user

I agree with you Alan. The trouble is, while there are many good Bflat players around, there are not many great ones. Can be counted on 2 fingers. (Simon Cresswell and Dean Morley.)

Although, IMHO, Cresswell takes the accolade every time for his ability to influence a band sound with true breadth and depth. Morley, while also a superb player, tends to be a little 'in your face' and therefore doesn't add the extra sound quality that Cresswell brings.

Only my humble opinion.......

Lassonbass

So who's going to take over as the Bflat Kings from 'Cresswell and Morley' when they have retired? Is there anyone coming up the ranks?

Tubaplayer.com

Alice said:
Pål Magne Austnes from Stavanger band is the most amazing tuba player EVER. His playing at the European and the Open was unbelievable.

Thank's Alice! I'm honoured to be mentioned :D

Personally I'd have to go for Fletch as my favourite from the past. The greatest living tubaplayer (soloist)? No doubt: Øystein Baadsvik! He is the most versatile tubaplayer I have ever heard, and a great inspiration to all tubaplayers. If you haven't heard him play, BUY A CD (or the 2003 European DVD)!!!

On 23.11.2003, I posted...

Steve Marcus said:
As a tuba/bass star of the future, consider 18-year-old Carol Jantsch. She was one of the semi-finalists for the New York Philharmonic Orchestra auditions last month; virtually every other semi-finalist already had experience in major orchestras!

Now, at the age of 20, Carol is the Principal Tuba of the Philadelphia Orchestra!

trumpetmike

She certainly seems an incredible player, according to the guys who have heard her over there she is simply amazing.

Nominations for my favourite:
Fletch wins:clap:
Closely followed by:
Sam Pilafian
Pat Sheridan
Oren Marshall (very surprised not to see his name already mentioned)
Charles Villarrubia (tuba with Rhythm & Brass - an incredible brass quintet)
Igor Gocenko (tuba with Brandt Brass - and I am fairly sure not many of you will have heard these guys - they are incredible, take my word for it or check out the latest Brass Herald)

brassneck

trumpetmike said:
...Oren Marshall (very surprised not to see his name already mentioned)...

I did! ;)

Amazing choices of tuba players listed on this thread and I will add more of my favourite players over the years. Walter Hilgers, Michael Lind, Floyd Cooley, Gene Pokorny, Harvey Phillips, Daniel Perantoni, Tommy Johnson, Bob Stewart, Oren Marshall, Roland Szentpali etc. etc. etc. (... far too many players to list because of their individuality and technique).

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.