Best Tuba Player?

Tuba or Bass?

• Total voters

Darth_Tuba

KWiper said:
Chris Doran's virtuosic performances of Alpine Tuba are world class.

Some of the high register stuff is amazing - Almost sounds like a cornet at some points.

Thanks Kidney! I must add that I actually play all those notes myself. Do you like the way I can also sound like a glock? Takes years of practise, and a quality bin lid! :lol:

Has anyone heard of Sam Pilafian (ex-Empire Brass Quintet and mate of Pat Sheridan). In my opinion probably the greatest exponent of the TUBA alive and playing today.

But John Fletcher is still and will remain the best player of all time in my opinion, just sorry he passed away before I could meet him. His recording "The Best of Fletch" is still out of this world by modern standards.

KWiper said:
Some of the high register stuff is amazing - Almost sounds like a cornet at some points.

but surely sounding like a cornet on a tuba isn't a good thing!?!?!
hehe, no offence doran. i don't personally think u sound like a cornet

Darth_Tuba

big_benthomson said:
KWiper said:

but surely sounding like a cornet on a tuba isn't a good thing!?!?!
hehe, no offence doran. i don't personally think u sound like a cornet

I'm hoping he was refering to Twissy's echoes... although the last note has at times sounded about as tuneful as dying cat, but with less tone. :lol:

fizzyduck

I'm with David Smith on this one. For me it has to be Shaun Crowther. But as my conductor I'd have to say that wouldn't I?!

AJSOP

steve sykes was pretty amazing in his little performance before the results at the 2002 finals, dont u think?

I think it is very difficult to pick an overall best tuba player as there are so many different players doing different things. There are solists, orchestral players, band players, jazz players, chamber ensemble players. I don't think there is one player that can do all of that to a great standard!!

Deano

I'm going to throw 2 new names into the discussion,

John Prosser (BAYV Cory)

Phil Goodwin (Black Dyke)

both have been with their respective bands for over 20 years, they must be doing something right or they would have been out on their ears along time ago. They may not be regular stand up soloists with their bands but when the pressure is on they always do the business.

Darth_Tuba said:
although the last note has at times sounded about as tuneful as dying cat, but with less tone. :lol:

Ha ha ha

Just recalling Lordy bringing out that stuffed fox at that random primary school faff! Remember??!!!!

Tres amusante!

PeterBale

Staff member
Having attended the lunchtime concert with Royal Scottish Academy Brass in Glasgow on Saturday, I was extremely impressed by the tuba player who played in the James MacMillan quintet, but I didn't catch his name. Tremendous control needed to play those pedal-notes at the beginning, and then it just got better :wink:

Anyone know who he was :?: (Bryan Allen said he's recently won an award, as have two of their trombonists)

fitzy

Jens-Bjoern Larsen who plays with the Stockholm Chamber Brass Quintet is the finest player I have ever heard live. He is simply amazing. Check out some of the SCBQ recordings if you haven't heard of him.
John Fletcher is one of my favourites and he is one of, if not the best I have heard. Arnold Jacobs, Steve Sykes, Roger Bobo and the principal tuba of the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, Fabian Russel are also extremely good players along with Oystein Baadsvik. Both Jens and Oystein wre in Melbourne last year for the innaugural Melbourne International Festival of Brass
www.mifb.com.au
and they were both amazing. The festival is happening again this year if anyone is interested. August 7th-14th 2004

nickjones

Just had a thought....Andy Duncan , Stuart Roebuck..and Ewan Easton 3 generations of Halle Tubists..great players..

nickjones

cheers Amigo....will explain the burning smell of slowly turning cogs too....
back on topic tho Dyl...Andy Duncan is a class tubist...

bruceg

James Gourlay and John Jenkins (formerly London Philharmonia and Equale Brass - John Wallace's ensemble) both rank right up there. Had the pleasure of meeting both of them as tutors in the distant past.

Also, prefer to say I play tuba rather than bass (no comments about the signature line please :) ).

Syrup

Steve Sykes for me, simly amazing what he can do on a bass (not tuba!).

For loudness, has to be Deano on a YABB trip!

Product tMP members are discussing