Best Tuba Player?

Tuba or Bass?

• Total voters

Dave Payn

Dave Payn said:
John Fletcher for me. And I reckon he'd still be the best around today if he were alive.
p.s. no disrespect to the many, many fine tuba/bass players around today!

The Cornet King

Dave Payn said:
John Fletcher for me. And I reckon he'd still be the best around today if he were alive.
Agreed Dave. Listen to some of his recordings and they are just mind boggling. The standard of playing and his range are just sensational!
Can't think of anyone better.

Of those alive today i would have to say that Dyke's Joe Cook is an amazing talent.
Don't you just hate people who are that good? :( But don't you just love listening to them :D

johnflugel

Pat Sheridan can do silly things on the tuba.

In terms of banding, for full blooded section leading power it has to be Gavin Saynor from YBS.

When I conduct bands, I try to call basses tubas, because that's what they are.... but you get frowned upon!

John
Rothwell Temps (& rogue conductor to other bands :wink: )

dyl

johnflugel said:
In terms of banding, for full blooded section leading power it has to be Gavin Saynor from YBS.
I'd have to agree! Besides, the wife wouldn't forgive if I didn't back her brother! ;)

PS. Can't see the point in having that poll at the top though!

Cantonian

It must be John Fletcher.

I once heard the Philip Jones Ensemble play a very avant-gard concert in Cardiff Uni. In the interval John came onto the stage and said that the band members had just done a note count and he had played the least notes in the first half. That meant he had to play a solo item. We expected more of the same but he proceeded to play 'Flight of the Bumble Bee' and was amazing. A great guy and talent sadly missed.

stopher

For me, Big Gav!

Top bloke, good laugh, excellent musician and gives the kids in the band someone to look up to, literally!

He is the loudest bass player I've heard - I played in a theatre pit with him once where he ripped a note on the bass. Not only did he make the dancers jump above him with the power, he also knackered the bass by blowing a lump of solder out of it!!!! Animal!

Steve Sykes. :D
I have heard him play the most amazing fast technical stuff and really entertain the audience.
But it his slow playing I really enjoy. He has got a wonderfull sound and puts so much expression into his playing.
He is a really nice guy as well - he has been the bass tutor at the Summer School I go to and has given me a lot of tips and encouragement

Accidental

Supporting Member
Has to be Steve Sykes - top bloke. I really like James Gourlay too, only ever heard him as a soloist though, not in a band.

Mrs Fruity

John Fletcher, but don't forget the doyen of the fab Dyke years, Derek Jackson, that's if we're talking bass players.

Mark Bousie

Of the players of today- Pat Sheridan, Sam Pilafian, Roland Sventpali (also a fine composer), Jim Gourlay, Steve Sykes are all great soloists. We also have many great players in bands at the moment- Shaun Crowther, Joe Cook, Gav Saynor to name but a few.

B Flat is another art, Dean Morley and Derek Jackson being 2 of the greats.

paddo

Best Tuba Players?

We now have a problem? are we talking Tuba, which i class as Eb or are we talking the real men! the Bb players?

I think as far as tuba playing goe's it would have to be Fletcher, but this i think would be closely followed by Syke'sy.

Bass players on the other hand, well now let me think?

There are the obvious ones, but what about the ones that have been there for years and as they don't play with the cream of banding must not be any good? eh!

any thoughts on those players?

Naomi McFadyen

Accidental said:
I really like James Gourlay too, only ever heard him as a soloist though, not in a band.
...and if anyone hasnt heard him as a soloist then you need to get Leylands latest CD, The Alchymist's Journal!! :D
James Gourlay solo's with us playing Vaughan Williams' Tuba Concerto...

(Just thought I'd sneak another promotion of the CD) :lol:

;-)

now, back on topic! :p