Best Trombone Player

Boneman

Back to Christian Lindburg - He did play with a Brass Band at the National Finals concert - I think it was Grimethorpe - He played Derek Bourgeois Trombone Concerto or Concerto for Trombone (which he premiered with Sun Life Band)

He playing was amazing! - He may provoke controversy for his choice of music - but surely not for his ability!

To answer the original question - My favourite Brass Band Trombone player is Nick Hudson, closely followed by Brett Baker and Chris Thomas.

When it comes to Trombone Sections - I personally think that Grimethorpe have the best trombone section going.

Brian Kelly

Razor said:
SA band tenor trombones: Clarence White (ex-Canadian Staff Band), Burt Mason (New York Staff Band), Nick Heywood (Canadian Staff Band - recently appointed bandmaster of CSB - what a waste!), Andrew Justice (ISB and Enfield)

Brian

Presume you meant Kevin Hayward as opposed to Nick Heywood!

Ray Collins

I did indeed mean Kevin Heyward! Apologies! :oops:

Thanks for the info on Michael Newing.

I guess I am just a trombone geek. If someone has published the trombone equivalent of those Ian Allen trainspotter books, I would be one of the first to buy one!

markyboy

kirmat said:
Frank Berry-of Dyke 60`s & 70`s- Nuff said!
Obviously worth a mention for all the trophies he won in his distinguished career. But could he live with todays top Brass band players?. The pieces and solos back the were not as hard as todays, although Frank could only play what was put in front of him.
Like I said, great player for his time, but times have changed.
Comments anyone?

PC

My old tutor at the RSAMD Lance Green who is top bone at the RSNO is not only off his head but an amazing bone player i would argue best in the country. But I cant believe no boby has mentioned Simon Johnston simply outstanding!!! :roll:

Blot

johnflugel said:
Away from traditional banding: Joe Alessi, Christian Lindberg, Ian Bousfield, Dudley Bright...all very different but everyone of them are terrific.

John
Rothwell Temps

I'd support FlugelJohn's choice of Christian Lindberg (Yea, I know he didn't come across too well at the concert after the RAH Nationals). I did a concert with him and my ol' band with Chris Jeans depping on solo trom. I know Chris wouldn't mind me saying but CL is a Trombone genius - technically and especially musically. Certainly the best brass player I've had the privilege to be on stage with - whether cornet, euph or whatever. Magical.

neiltwist

I've found out a name finally, and my favourite bass trom player (never heard him play tenor) is Adrian "Benny" Morris. Simply amazing.

Bassbones

Have to agree with Neil,Adrian Morris is certainly up there with the Bass Chainsaw. Ex Leyland Band player Circa 1987.Mark Frost must be up there as well great sound really versatile able to turn his hand to Brass band orchestral & what an incredible big band player with The Andy Prior Orchestra. :D

neiltwist

Bassbones said:
Have to agree with Neil,Adrian Morris is certainly up there with the Bass Chainsaw. Ex Leyland Band player Circa 1987.Mark Frost must be up there as well great sound really versatile able to turn his hand to Brass band orchestral & what an incredible big band player with The Andy Prior Orchestra. :D

oh yeah, they're both there easily!

andys131

Best trombone player!

Personally i think that the best bass trombone player is Gordon Camsey (ISB) and also i know i am biased but the best trombone player is Brad Turnbull (ISB and Leicester Castle)

ScrapingtheBottom

Best Brass Band Trombonist:

Probably Nick Hudson.

Guys I admire generally;

Christian Lindberg
Joe Alessi
Doug Yeo
Dudley Bright
Maisie Ringham
Ian Bousfield
Chris Jeans
Chris Thomas
J J Johnson
Kai Winding
Mark Nightingale
Dennis Rollins
Don Lusher

Amongst others...

There are lots of fantastic trombonists around in every musical sphere, it's great! :-D

sterlingsop

Sorry, but the best bass bone player in the world is Alan Swain. Not just for his playing but for his teaching, conducting, confidence building and drinking capacity. Can go from brass band to English Ballet to West End orchestra pit in the blink of an eye.

Go Al!!

kiwiposaune

Here are a couple of guys (all with strong ongoing band connections) that most of you have probably never heard of:

David Bremer (Dalewool Auckland Brass and principal of New Zealand Symphony Orchestra) - I was embarassed to be named to the 4BR band of the year ahead of him - I feel totally inadequate every time i sit next to him

Ron Prussing (MD - Waratah Brass and principal of Sydney Symphony) - on of the most powerful players in the world and a band nut

brassneck

Lots of good choices here, but for a brass band trom. section my present choice would be Nick Hudson, Kevin Gibbs and on bass trom., Mark Frost. Three extremely talented players who are versatile and time-tested.

PeterBale

Staff member
kiwiposaune said:
Here are a couple of guys (all with strong ongoing band connections) that most of you have probably never heard of:

David Bremer (Dalewool Auckland Brass and principal of New Zealand Symphony Orchestra) - I was embarassed to be named to the 4BR band of the year ahead of him - I feel totally inadequate every time i sit next to him

Ron Prussing (MD - Waratah Brass and principal of Sydney Symphony) - on of the most powerful players in the world and a band nut
I'd definitely endorse both of these: David Bremner featured as soloist with the New Zealand Youth band and was really first class, whilst I heard Ron Prussing give two fantastic performances of "The Eternal Quest" when in the UK with his Sydney Congress hall band.

kiwiposaune

Now I see how you got to 10,000 posts - you never sleep.

Are there any really good new SA trombone solos that have been transcribed for piano? I'm doing a solo CD in April (with piano) and I'd love to include something relatively new that pays some homage to my SA heritage.

John Brooks

I agree with the comments made re Joseph Alessi and Ron Prussing. I recommend the CD's of Alessi with Metro Brass (Song of Exuberance) and Prussing with Melbourne Staff Band (Classics for Trombone & Band). In my opinion both are outstanding.

Other names not mentioned yet include:

Alwyn Green - Winton SA and I believe Bournemouth Symphony
Malcolm Carter - former ISB and Box Hill (Australia)
Brian Midgley - former Norwich SA
John Cobb - guested with the ISB on their 1957 North American Tour, playing The Eternal Quest, then appears to have disappeared from the scene
Bob Merritt - now retired from Canadian Staff Band

There is another outstanding name that I can't recall - played for the RAF Central Band and the SA Red Shield Band - but I just can't recall his name.

In jazz circles there's Urbie Green. I have two recording on which he is backed by 21 Trombones - superb.

Finally, Ronald Barron of Boston Symphony and Eugene Watts of Canadian Brass.

Product tMP members are discussing