Best Trombone Player

SBB

timbloke said:
However i will say that in about 5 years time the name Tim Benson will be world renowned.

watch this space.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BassTromBeast

Being a trombone player I find it quite disheartening that I can't give the answer as being me. :lol:

I've heard more trombones than you can shake a slide at and my list of 'best players' includes many of the names already mentioned. However, my favourite trombone playing is found on the collection of Spiritual To The Bone recordings. Not brass band music but the players are all Sally Army bando types. So I will add to the list the names of Herb Bruce and Bill Broughton being two of the better players on those recordings. :)

BassTromBeast

Now you're talking! It'll have to be the hero himself.....Gordon Camsey (International Staff Band)! The man is a legend!

Away from banding, probably Doug Yeo. Special Brew.

johnflugel

Toby Bannon of YBS a real star player. I remember his sound in the big bass theme prior to the presto in 'Jupiter' (you know, the bit where the cornets pretended to be harps!) at the Open, being immense. Mark Frost is also a tip top player.

Away from banding, listen to the Boston Pops Orchestra recordings of John Williams music like 'Olympic Fanfare', 'Summon the heroes' etc: the bass trombone is an animal!

John
Rothwell Temps

PeterBale

Staff member
johnflugel said:
Away from banding, listen to the Boston Pops Orchestra recordings of John Williams music like 'Olympic Fanfare', 'Summon the heroes' etc: the bass trombone is an animal!John
Rothwell Temps

That animal, of course, is Doug Yeo, as referred to above! I must confess to not knowing many bass troms by name, but Stuart Horton of Enfield is first-class, prominent when necessary but not too domineering.

In the wider field of brass playing, Ray Premru's premature demise deprived the world of a great player, and Holland's Ben van Dijk has produced a couple of excellent solo recordings, as well as his orchestral work with the Rotterdam Philharmonic.

lynchie

I'm a fan of Doug Yeo... he did a cd with Nick Hudson a few years back which was very cool! I'm sure WorldofBrass can point you in the right direction to check it out!

Razor

If we're looking at brass band bass trombonists there's a quite a few top drawer players that spring to my mind.

Adrian Hirst - Black Dyke
Mark Frost - Grimethorpe, Brass Band of Battle Creek
Toby Bannan - YBS
Gerraint Griffiths - Faireys
Stuart Horton - Enfield SA
Len Ferguson - Ex Canadian Staff Band
Willis Howell - USA Sothern Territorial Band, Spiritiual to the Bone

For me Stuart Horton of Enfield SA gets my vote. A fantastic sound, great technical ability and a great sense of musical awareness. Many will agree that he has contributed hugely and so consistently to the sound of Enfield over the last 20 years or so.

Ray Collins

PeterBale

Staff member
neiltwist said:
the bass trom tutor at the northern has to be the basstrom for me, he is immense.

. . . but does he have a name, or is that reserved for his students :?: :!: :wink:

Jordan

yippeee

Muppet (aka Andrew Williams) formerly of BTM now with Cory is a cracking player, monstrous sound, Toby Bannan is cracking aswell, i remember me and Nick helping him find his trom as he'd left it somewhere in pirohette park ( dunno how to spell that) in Pontins a few years ago!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

Borfeo

To go back to the Christian Lindberg question, he has played with brass band accompaniment before, he did a concert with Whitburn at the Edinburgh Festival a few years ago. I'm sure he's played with Salford Uni band as well.
As to my fave players.

1. Nick Hudson (Awesome wherever, whenever, the perfect brass band trombone player)

2. Brett Baker (You don't play with Dyke for nowt, I still remember doing Rhyl contest with him guesting on top bone for BT, best experience of my career so far)

I also like Mark Boyd from up here, great sound and technique, also Chris Thomas and Simon Cowen, all great players

Vickitorious

I'm not a trombone player and i don't really have a favourite but I heard Brett Baker play at the British open and it was amazing :eek: :shock:
(I wish I could do lip slurs that well!) :(

Brian Kelly

PeterBale said:
I must confess to not knowing many bass troms by name.

You forgot me! I'm hurt! :cry:

Seriously though, here are my favourite players, in no particular order.

Brass band tenor trombones: Brett Baker, Nick Hudson, Simon Cowan, Chris Thomas

SA band tenor trombones: Clarence White (ex-Canadian Staff Band), Burt Mason (New York Staff Band), Nick Heywood (Canadian Staff Band - recently appointed bandmaster of CSB - what a waste!), Andrew Justice (ISB and Enfield)

People rave about Christian Lindberg, and rightly, for his daring and willingness to push the boundaries as well as for his talent and ability, but IMHO I would advocate Joe Alessi, principle trombone of the New York Philharmonic, as the best orchestral player, possibly even the best tenor trombone player of all around today (IMHO).

No-one has yet mentioned any jazz/dance band players, so I will: Mark Nightingale, Don Lusher, Jiggs Wigham, Tommy Dorsey.

Brass band bass trombone players: Mark Frost, Adrian Hirst, James Cant (ex-Faireys), Paul Applegarth (ex-GUS as it was then).

SA bass trombone players: Gordon Camsey (ISB, and a very nice chap to boot), Christopher Priest (ex-ISB, now in USA with Spiritual to the Bone), Michael Newing (ex- ISB and ex-Kettering SA - whatever happened to him?), Willis Howell (US Southern Territory SA Band and Spiritual to the Bone), Stuart Horton (Enfield SA), Warren Smith (New York Staff Band).

Professional bass trombone players: Douglas Yeo, Ben van Dijk and the late Ray Premru have already been mentioned. I would like to add Charles Vernon (Chicago Symphony Orchestra), David Taylor (New York freelance, doing for the bass trombone what Christian Lindberg does for the tenor trombone), and, the greatest of them all (IMHO), Mr Bass Trombone himself, the legendary George Roberts.

You lot know nowt! :wink:

No one's even mentioned Bill Watrous!

How about Derek James, Lindsay Shilling & John Iveson?

Best Brass Band Trom I've played with is Smon Cowan (although these were orchestral dates).

Best Orchestral player I've played with is Chris Mowat.

Best Trombonist (of any style) I ever heard and had the pleasure to sit next to is Gordon Campbell (doesn't get the recognition he deserves).

There are tons of others - the pick of the bunch all playing outside of the brass band mouvement I'm afraid. :(

lynchie

Brian - That's sort of what I meant when I said if we went for all styles of playing there would be too many to choose from! All those players are excellent (especially Joe Alessi... cracking player) and so it's impossible to really say that one or the other is the best because they play in very varied situations.

Just shows that trombonists are the ones with the talent in this world... :wink:

Okiedokie of Oz

BassTromBeast said:
However, my favourite trombone playing is found on the collection of Spiritual To The Bone recordings.

For a good trombone recording, look no further than London Trombone Sounds. All trombone parts sound exciting!!!!!

And as for best bass trombonist, I want soooo much to say me!!!!! But I know there's probably one person better :wink:

Razor

My understanding was that the origination of this thread was related to brass band trombonists but we seem to have digressed somewhat and are now throwing in names of some of the worlds greatest trombone players!

Like any "best ???" scenario its all down to personal taste and perhaps the impact that a certain player has made on us, either as a listener or as a fellow player. What we can certainly agree on is, there are a great number of talented players in our movement that enrich it and give inspiration to mere mortals such as myself and perhaps a few others!

SA band tenor trombones: Clarence White (ex-Canadian Staff Band), Burt Mason (New York Staff Band), Nick Heywood (Canadian Staff Band - recently appointed bandmaster of CSB - what a waste!), Andrew Justice (ISB and Enfield)

Brian

Presume you meant Kevin Hayward as opposed to Nick Heywood!

Also, last I heard of Michael Newing was when he was playing with the now defunct William Davis Construction Band under Dr Keith Wilkinson. Not sure if he's still on the scene, contesting or SA.

Ray Collins

Product tMP members are discussing