Best Soprano Player - Poll

Who is the Best Soprano Player of all time?

• Total voters

Big J

Roberts has to be the man!

He's been outstanding since the '60s, and not many cornetists can do that. Always a well-centred sound, and with a little extra technique and power over most others...

Yip, he's the man!

Griffin

Certainly seems that Pete is The Man.
Can conclude then that Pete Roberts is the Greatest Soprano Player...Ever & Ever, Amen

euphfanhan

Hmm, think I've joined this discussion a bit late, but in my opinion it's Peter Roberts, if that's who played on the european brass band championships 2001 CD. I think it was Vesti La Giubba I Pagliacci (if that's how it's spelt!), and previous to that I hadn't been too keen on sops, due to the fact all the ones I know are pretty awful, but that he changed my mind completely.

Syrup

euphfanhan said:
Hmm, think I've joined this discussion a bit late, but in my opinion it's Peter Roberts, if that's who played on the european brass band championships 2001 CD. I think it was Vesti La Giubba I Pagliacci (if that's how it's spelt!), and previous to that I hadn't been too keen on sops, due to the fact all the ones I know are pretty awful, but that he changed my mind completely.

Do you mean "On With The Motley"? Its one of his signature solo's.

Sonor

Pete Roberts for me by a mile. Have also played alongside Crockford and Wycherley and both fine players.

However at this moment in time our Sop player at Travelsphere is one of the finest around and has been standing in for Mr Roberts at Black Dyke recently. Remember his name for the future: Gary Fountain.

iancwilx

Obviously I can only speak from my own experience, but I remember Peter Roberts' first appearance with Grimethorpe - I think it was at Huddersfield Town Hall, and he must be one of the most talented and famous Sop players of the past 40 year, and deserverdly so.
But Brian Evans in his CWS (Manchester) days must rate as another top exponent of this difficult and exposed band instrument.
Of the bands I've played with, I rate Roy Roe as a 100% reliable and sweet sounding performer.
There were no worries when Roy was in the Sop chair.

iancwilx

PS :- Love 'em all - but as previously stated, ain't they got to be nutters somewhere down the line ?
They make great drinking mates - no holds barred - go for it !!!!

trumpetmike

Michelle Ibbotson would get my vote if she had been on the list. A soprano player who could perform the various tasks of that seat without ever sounding strained. She made it all sound easy. She could dominate a band or sparkle above it. And all done without the need to say "I am a soprano player, I am great."

If only they were all like her.

I've voted for Peter Roberts, although having played next to Alan Wycherley and behind Martin Winter, they come a very close second. I've not heard Kevin Crockford since his Dyke days, I must admit I thought he was a bit OTT for my taste then but had a brilliant technique.

oohaah

Wycherley for me. Still remember him playing Diversions with Fairey's at the National. What a musician.

Last edited by a moderator:
lynchie said:
Peter Roberts .....but his musicianship is second to none!

Only one of those on the list I've heard live is Peter Roberts in a concert with Dyke. He was good, but he played a solo, Memory if I remember correctly, and whilst it was good he was flat. I thought it may have been me but the person I was with, not a brass player but a classically trained singer, said the same unprompted.

HSB

Brian Evans, has to be. Not just a fabulous sop player but a proper bandsman. Played for the sheer love of it and that love came out of the instrument. No glory seeking, posing or money grabbing about Brian, just quietly going about his banding.

Just an honest working bloke with a special gift on the old Eb.

Rest in peace.