Best Soprano Player - Poll

Who is the Best Soprano Player of all time?

• Total voters

Liz Courts

It's got to be Peter Roberts for me! Although Brian Evans is a very close second...they're all amazing!! :)

jim

Iwan Fox fine fine sop player for many years in Tredegar played and could have joined any band in britain on many ocasions, he just knew when to shine over the band and when to keep out the way all this and his instrument was in such a state he couldnt moove the tunning slides so tunned totaly by his ear!
Paul Eddy Parc & Dare totaly diffrent player to Iwan but can totaly rip over a band at will with lips of steel and a sound as big as anyone.

HSB

Can't agree with that but do admire you, as a Welshman, for recommending two Welshmen.

Good effort.

jackocorn

choirmaster said:
JANUARYMAN said:-

No Steve Barnsley? I have personally only heard him play 'live' twice, at the Open contest this year and last, but both times have been nothing less than outstanding, pure class!

I couldn't agree more, and said so previously on this thread. I don't know if anybody heard him on Manx radio last week playing the intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana, but it was out of this world. Complete with a soprano high D at pp to finish.

He'd get my vote (but then I did have to room with him!) - great player.

GingerMaestro

JANUARYMAN said:
No Steve Barnsley? I have personally only heard him play 'live' twice, at the Open contest this year and last, but both times have been nothing less than outstanding, pure class!

Dave

I couldn't agree more class player

PeterBale

Staff member
ISBBBb2 said:
Can't believe Gary Fountain isnt even on the poll. He is a class act when it comes to the sop.

The Poll was set up when the thread was started in 2004, and it's probably true to say that many people would not have heard of Gary at that stage. To add another name now, when so many people have already voted, would seem rather pointless.

baribari

Alan Wycherley - seen him (drunk) playing penny lane in my mates ear in Bitburg a few years ago - what a player.:clap:

There is this chap who sits oppositte me in Band - he's a bit handy with the old Sop - goes by the name of Steve Barnsely. Perhaps he should be in the poll? ;)

Rebel Tuba

brassneck said:
... well I know it's supposed to be a poll of the best sop. player, but I want to give credit to one of the most consistent players I've heard on that instrument ... & that award goes to Graeme Lewis who played with the Sun Life Band. Not much has really been said about him, and I have no idea who he is playing with now (... if at all). An unsung hero on sop. in my opinion.

Wow I was looking at the list and wondered why Graeme Lewis wasn't on there and then down the Thread his name pops up.

I think he was born with that instrument to his lips, truly a sleeping giant of that instrument and if Sunlife had still been around, a name that would have been on everyones lips as possibly the all time great.

just as a "one to watch", Spencer O'Leary from Polysteel, can one day be amongst the greats.

trumpetmike said:
Michelle Ibbotson would get my vote if she had been on the list. A soprano player who could perform the various tasks of that seat without ever sounding strained. She made it all sound easy. She could dominate a band or sparkle above it. And all done without the need to say "I am a soprano player, I am great."

If only they were all like her.

I'd go for Michelle too , I was suprised she wasn't on the list really. I've heard her with Bayv a few times , and top class. I never saw her play with Dyke in real life , but the notable contributions on the videos and dvd's especially the collaborations with the ISB for the gala concerts and Eric Ball concert and Eden performance.

Rebel Tuba

Band Lads Army said:
I'd go for Michelle too , I was suprised she wasn't on the list really. I've heard her with Bayv a few times , and top class. I never saw her play with Dyke in real life , but the notable contributions on the videos and dvd's especially the collaborations with the ISB for the gala concerts and Eric Ball concert and Eden performance.

I saw her in concert once at St Georges and she looked miserable as sin throughout the concert and I mean she looked as though she hated every minute of it. May have been a one off but it semi-spoilt a great concert.

Not sure that any of us here are qualified to say who is "best".
However, we can say who our favourite is.... ;)

It's too close to call really, from behind a screen could we tell any of the players from the top 10 bands apart???

Product tMP members are discussing