Best Performance - ever!!!!

Mark Bousie

For pure electricity, Fairey's winning performance of Masqurade at the 1993 Open will always take some beating.It was one of first major contests I'd ever been to and I'll never forget it. At the time it was meant to be unplayable and to be fair nobody had got near it until they played. It wasn't perfect, but brought the house down and won by 4 points (when was the last time that happened in a top contest-yes I know some don't use points any more!). It's a shame that the Open is rarely recorded as there has been some stunning performances over the years.

Bigchap

Best performance ever

For me also Fairey's playing Masquerade at the Open.
Also Eikanger playing Concerto Grosso at Birmingham European.
Whichever band I first heard playing Cloudcatcher Fells at the RAH in '85. It was my first trip to the National Finals, extraordinary piece, I'd never heard anything like it. I particularly enjoyed the performance of the now defunct Jones and Crossland band.
Finally I am told that Fairey's performance of Cambridge Variations at the European in Plymouth was the 'best ever' rendition of the piece but the influence of alcohol meant I dropped off to sleep just after it started and the final note woke me up.

Big Chap

markyboy

Agreed Mark!!
I have a recording of Faireys winning performance and it is truly a great moment of banding history.
(By the way the band that followed them put up a great show and managed to pull off fourth place).
Their soprano player was shaking like a leaf as it was his first Open apearance and fluffed the top A at the end of a superb Principal Cornet solo.
He still remembers it now, 10 years on.
On a more serious note one performance that took some real guts to go through, must have been Britania's (Fodens) at the 1991 Open.
Their Solo Baritone player was killed in a motor accident just three days before, and that must have been so hard to carry on and go the contest.
Sorry if that re-opens any bad memories for anyone but I have to take my hat off to you. I'm sure the late David Brunsdon would have been really proud of you.

KennyC

Tom said:
I have three

1. Masquerade - Faireys and Peter Parkes - British Open 1993
2. Contest Music - Black Dyke and Peter Parkes - European 1986
3. Cloudcatcher Fells - Black Dyke and Peter Parkes - Nationals 1985 (I think)

I find myself nearly agreeing with Tom again (!)

The most enjoyable live performances I've heard are:-

Fairey's 1993 Masquerade with the Major still gets my vote as the best ever.
Black Dyke's Cloudcatcher in Lucerne in 1988 (the Major again) was, for me, even better than the 1985 RAH one and comes a close 2nd.
YBS (David King) with Concerto Grosso in Bergen this year in 3rd. I'll qualify this one by saying the CD recording from Brussells the previous year sounds even better.

Black Dyke with Contest Music in 1987 (the Major yet again) at the European in Nottingham (the 15 second top C# one) and Fairey's Roman Carnival (Hargreaves / Baglin) at Belle Vue in 1979 are two great performances that left a lasting impression on me as well.

So many! So hard to choose! Look forward to adding to the list soon.

Kenny

Bariman

I've only just picked up on this thread but I have to go along with The MusicMan's first posting when he nominated Grimethorpe's performance of New Jerusalem at the National.

I still get a tingling down my spine when I listen to the CD.

I suppose the emotions were pumping that day following the news of the pits demise only a few days before but boy, what a performance.

Valvecap

Few for me...

The whole of Grimethorpes "Classic Brass" Recording

Year of the Dragon (agree with aiden on that one)

Heard a copy of Pagentry done in the 70s with Imps and although there are some nice modern recordings, i think it still hasnt been beat for sheer brilliance

D

Chris Helme

Supporting Member
Best ever....

Many to choose from but let us turn the clock back to the Royal Albert Hall to just over forty years ago - 1959 '...Le Roi d'Ys...' Black Dyke - man of the hour Geoff Whitham and of course Maurice Murphy on the end chair...and then coming forward but a year or two to 1962 '...The Force of Destiny...' CWS (Manchester) Band...led by DMG and conducted by Alex Mortimer. Having original recordings of both performances now they really make your hair stand on end.....

Chris Helme

Best live contest performances for me were by Black Dyke at the European championships at Falkirk in 1990 when they played The Essence of Time in the morning and Harmony Music in the afternoon and were awrded 99 points for each!!

Re: Best ever....

Chris Helme said:
Many to choose from but let us turn the clock back to the Royal Albert Hall to just over forty years ago - 1959 '...Le Roi d'Ys...' Black Dyke - man of the hour Geoff Whitham and of course Maurice Murphy on the end chair...and then coming forward but a year or two to 1962 '...The Force of Destiny...' CWS (Manchester) Band...led by DMG and conducted by Alex Mortimer. Having original recordings of both performances now they really make your hair stand on end.....

Chris Helme

I totally agree with you, and remember them well. Also envious that you have the recordings.
Whitham, Murphy, and Garside, three giants of the brass band movement, and such fabulous people.

DJ

John Brooks

The I.S.B. on their last tour of Canada - I heard Corpus Christie for the first time in Ottawa - that first chord was an amazing start and then listening to the piece unfold; totally awesome. Their later performance in Toronto was captured on CD but that first time in Ottawa still stands out for me.

Black Dyke on Albion at the RAH Finals. A number of great performances (Fodens and Bram Tovey in particular) of what for me is a great piece but when Dyke finished it was so obvious we'd just heard something very special.

The Kingdom Triumphant by Dyke and ISB at Nottingham last year - magnificent; worth the price of the airplane alone.

Contest Performances:
Contest Music - 1982 Finals - Fairey under Geofery Brand.
Cloudcatcher - 1985 Finals - Dyke under Parkes. The memory of the horn player cliping a note in the first bar and the Major's finger poking up his nose and then those chords in 'Helvellyn' have satyed with me for nearly 20 years, although I would agree with andywooler in that Leyland gave a superb 'first reading'.
Cambridge Variations - 1992 Masters - Leyland under Richard Evans. They were the only band on the day to get that 'shimmer' at the opening.
Diversions on a Bass Theme - South Midlands Area 1987 - GUS (possibly Rigid Containers?) under Bram Tovey. My best ever in a performance that sizzled from the first note to the last.
Concert Performances:
RNCM 2000 (2001?) Trumpets of the Angels - Fodens under Nick Childs.
Took me about 3 minutes to get my breath back at the interval!
In agreement with johnflugel about Heaton's Sinfonia Concertante with Winter/Fairey/Snell. I was at the premiere about 10 years before down the road at Studio7, both superb but the 2001 just had the edge.
Finally, the entire Foden performance this year at the RNCM. The evening was two hours of sheer magic, made complete by Mr. Tovey's superb sense of humour and stylish direction.

scott clark

For me there have been two performances from Cory in recent years which have both been amazing.

Harrisons Dream (Nationals 2000)
Maunsell Forts (British Open 2002)

unforgetable and both superb pieces :D

johnflugel

nickjbeaumarisband said:
johnflugel said:
Australian Euphonium said:
How did YBS not win on Blitz in Kerkrade

Think someone wanted to keep a 'major' record in tact :wink:

John Amigo....whatever do you mean?????

Nothing at all ...... Blistering start, tight and rythmical, full of drama, impeccable soloists.....fully deserving of 8th place :wink:

Forgot one. Was anyone in the RAH in '87 when we heard Procession to the Minster for the first time with Brighouse, Desford & Fodens under Snell.
I know the piece reached overkill a long time ago but that night was something special. Whenever I hear the piece I am always taken back to that performance, sitting with friends in the choir behind them all, and just when you thought it couldn't get any louder, it did!

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.