Best horn player around at the moment?

Who are the best 3 horn players around at the moment?

In my opinion, NO 1 = Sheona White - YBS
NO 2 = Sandy Smith - Grimethorpe
NO 3 = Lesley Howie - Black Dyke / Owen Farr - Fairey

Can't decide between Owen Farr or Lesley Howie for 3rd spot. Definately Sheona for No 1 though. Just listen to her solo cd. Magic!! :D

2nd man down

Staff member
Not heard Lesley Howie or Owen Farr live yet but Sheona is pretty damn good...must get that cd.
Having said that, show me anyone in those three bands that aren't pretty damn good!!

hornulared

Lets face it

Any of the horn players from Foden's, Cory, Dyke and Grimey are gonna be top class. Not forgetting Mr Bathgate at Brighouse.

horulared, I understand that the horn players from these bands are going to be good. This post is just for personal favourites. 2nd man down, you have to buy Sheona's cd 'The Voice of the Tenor Horn'. It's absolutely top class. Some gorgeous melodic playing and some awesome technical playing too. And that's just from the band! I heard Lesley Howie live at the Black Dyke/ISB Eric Ball tribute night. She played September Fantasy for horn & played it very well. Consult the DVD if you don't believe me.

i say there ain't a best horn player
owen for his technical playing wow
sheona sound
sandy hes got both a good all rounder
with out a doubt top 3 players stil today

I've got to say George Thackray ex Faireys, Fodens, Sellers and now Ransomes. One of the most gorgeous sounds I've ever heard and still a top class player.

Jim Baritone

grandfilth

in no order:

leslie howie
owen farr
shoena white
sandy smith

Definately the top four in my eyes, but who knows there could be some t hoprn player in jamaica who is absolutely legendary, its all relative, there could be some 4th section player who wipes the floor who noone knows about.
What's good to see is that there are loadsa young ppl ready to take the next step like:
Arfon Owen
Aidan Smith
Laura Lea etc...

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
spookybiking said:
i say there ain't a best horn player
owen for his technical playing wow
sheona sound
sandy hes got both a good all rounder
with out a doubt top 3 players stil today

... and from what you have said to me in the past Stu, aren't you not mentioning a certain someone here who you've often classed as good as two that you do mention... :wink: :lol:

About time someone mentioned 2 of my colleagues in the ISB; Jonathan Miller on Solo Horn and David Winch on 1st Horn.
It's been a real treat to sit behind these 2 guys on our North American tour. Jonathan was a featured soloist but I've absolutely no doubts that David could perform equally well given the opportunity.

Aidan

grandfilth said:
What's good to see is that there are loadsa young ppl ready to take the next step like:
Arfon Owen
Aidan Smith
Laura Lea etc...
you missed your ugly self off there boyo :p

scott clark

Just come back from the YABB tour to Luxembourg. And having to play Bohemium Rhapsody i heard Helen Vardey who plays solo horn for BT band. She is one of the best i have ever heard :lol:

Heppy

in no order:

leslie howie
owen farr
shoena white
sandy smith

Definately the top four in my eyes, but who knows there could be some t hoprn player in jamaica who is absolutely legendary, its all relative, there could be some 4th section player who wipes the floor who noone knows about.
Arfon Owen
Aidan Smith
Laura Lea etc...

For the record, Chris Pannell (Pannell Angelicus) a.k.a Grandfilth has to be one of the worst horn players I have ever heard. You cant tell him that he is good as he is one of the most arrogant people that I know. He never shuts up about himself.... me me me me, thats all you get.

Jurassic Park!

Aidan

haha well obviously :) had to put his name in or he'd cry and i'd get more abusive txts :wink:

grandfilth

thankyou all for your kind words especially smed!!

note I have changed this just incase there is someone out there who hasnt read the old one in all its drunken glory!!!!!

Sorry John, i only put the known ones down.

yep your wife poah wot a sound or what, :D amazing easily one of the best in wales easily. you have to hear it people 8)