Best Ever (Or Favourite) Last Note

Bryan_sop

GJG said:
Soprano player's favourite ...... (.....nightmare?):
Final chord of Vinter's "Salute to Youth"

Most definately! Just has to be that fraction too long, just to make sure everyone knows you hit it! (Or embarass yourself if you miss!)

iancwilx

I really rate the ending bars of "The Corsair" (arr Brand)
Raises the hairs on the backof the head.

my favourite last note (and coincidently the one i played best) was in a piece i played with a jazz band last year (cant remember the name of the piece tho) and it was top G# (the one on ledger lines) and it was awsome, even if i do say so my self. it was one hell of a fluke tho, cos i cant play it that well any more.

2nd man down

Staff member
Favourite last note to listen to has to be the sop note at the end of MacArthur Park on the Grimethorpe Classic Brass CD!! It just sounds... Wow!!

Nuff respect to whoever that was. :tup

BbBill

Supporting Member
Where do I start?!

Best I think, YBS with St Magnus at Euros last year, what an ending, def shivers and emotion with that chord. It was 1st time I had heard them live and very memorable! I still rewind the DVD over and over, with the headphones on, up very loud, listening to that!! Sad I know, but you must know what I mean!! FANTASTIC!!

Alot of these others mentioned are great loud ones, also a few quiet ones:

I know thou art mine
Irish Blessing
The day thou gavest

dyl

2nd man down said:
Favourite last note to listen to has to be the sop note at the end of MacArthur Park on the Grimethorpe Classic Brass CD!! It just sounds... Wow!!

Nuff respect to whoever that was. :tup

Believe it was someone called Peter Roberts, whoever he is! ;)

euphoria

My no. 1. ending is the last few bars of In memoriam R.K. by E. Howarth. It is even more sombre in mood that the ending of Resurgam. My favorite Eric Ball ending is Journey to freedom.

For a true testosterone-dripping finale chord how about the ending of Mars in Black Dyke's version where low brass gets the license-to-kill.

(or what about the finale chord of Dyke's winning performance of Albion a few years back - it seems to last for half an hour).

ronnie_the_lizard

If we're including quiet endings - not to everyones taste I know but the last notes of Thomas Wilson's "Refrains and Cadenzas" dying away can be pretty impressive - Dyke again have to take the prize.

For loud ones - Mr Sparke seems to have missed out a bit for once. What about Music of the Spheres, or LotLWQ amongst others.

Orchestrally the whole last movement of Tchaik 6 would have to be my favourite 'ending' (though from a playing perspective you start to get a bit thirsty once the trom/tuba chorale is over........).

matti_raz

Note- YBS Magnus at the Euro's! WOW!
Ending- Dyke and YBS- or any band really (true mark of a good end) Night to Sing at the open- awesome release of all the tensions of the piece!

Most dissapointing ending of a fab piece- Journey to The Centre of The Earth- d'know why just not my favourite ending- awesome piece though!

Mahler 2 takes the orchestral biscuit!! or possibly pines *tut* to indesicive!

Just for the record, the final note of "St Magnus" when we played it at the Michael Fowler Centre in Wellington for the NZ Championships in March this year. T'was pretty awesome!!

I know I keep getting it in, but I have to keep gloating about it!!! :p

Andy, stuck up a tree, in Belfast

ronnie_the_lizard

Gaz Wynne said:
I think the last note of Sounds is pretty awesome.

Is that the last note of 'Sounds' as it is now, after Golland was persuaded to add the octave jumps / loud rising scale finish to make the end more acceptable as a contest piece, or the last note of Sounds as it was originally written with a quiet ending ??