Best Christmas band piece

What is the best Christmas band piece ever written. Being an SA man I would say there haven't been many good ones in the SA but one which particularly stands out is Gaudete by Kevin Norbury. Excellent piece! :D I also like Troika.

Dave Payn

I like Gaudete but the one by Rodney Newton. As for a favourite? I'll go for Gordon Langford's Christmas Fantasy for band and choir.

leisa

Dave Payn said:
I like Gaudete but the one by Rodney Newton. As for a favourite? I'll go for Gordon Langford's Christmas Fantasy for band and choir.

i like gaudete we just started it at ssbb

PeterBale

Staff member
For a well-crafted Christmas piece, if somewhat traditional, I think Morley Calvert's "The Festive Season" takes some beating, and the movements will hold their own as separate items if required.

Seedhouse

Lol! I think some Xmas music can get very repetitive though, as long as we don't play the same tosh each year then I don't mind.

asteria

Santaclaustraphobia every time! Just cos it's funny to see the back row cornets stand up and struggle through that muted bit!!

The Cornet King

PeterBale said:
For a well-crafted Christmas piece, if somewhat traditional, I think Morley Calvert's "The Festive Season" takes some beating, and the movements will hold their own as separate items if required.

I agree Peter. We have just played it in a couple of Concerts with Cottingham and it was a really lovely piece, 3 different movements that went down very well with band and audience alike.

Also has been mentioned is Gaudete...i have to admit to prefering the Rodney Newton version.

I also like Peter Graham's Spirit of Chritmas...which basically rips off all his other pieces and creates a christmas piece...right in the middle of it...you hear Northern Landscapes...the beginning is shine as the light...etc
Still a great piece though :D

:wink:

johnflugel

The Cornet King said:
PeterBale said:

I agree Peter. We have just played it in a couple of Concerts with Cottingham and it was a really lovely piece, 3 different movements that went down very well with band and audience alike.

It's a fine piece - beautiful 2nd movement. Which wonderfully educated forward thinking MD chose that one then Chris? :wink:

John
Rothwell temps

i know it's total cheese, but Christmas Swingalong.

You can't beat it...

Troika is good, if the band can play it, but me no like the Spirit of Christmas. It's hard euph part at the beginning, and it's all different to Shine as the Light!

Vickitorious

Snow waltz :p That is brilliant!! I'm OK until it gets to the bit where you have to sway, then I start to giggle. I don't think I played any of it once we got past that point!!! :lol: :D Oh, and last christmas! :p

Seedhouse

Lol, I hate swaying Euph's are too big to sway with! But causes much amusement to the rest of the band when we attempt :lol:

PeterBale

Staff member
Seedhouse said:
Lol, I hate swaying Euph's are too big to sway with! But causes much amusement to the rest of the band when we attempt :lol:

If we basses can sway, then I don't see why you can't do the same with those pint-sized bugles of yours :wink: :lol: :lol:

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.