Best Bass Trombone Player!!!!

Brassbones

Hey Gav thank's for the shout-out mate! I always said you were a man of discernment and taste ;o) (and the Eddy is brill matey .. it runs rings round that old R9 I had!)

In bands (albeit former) Frosty is head and shoulders over everyone else past and present, especially on the proper low stuff. Outside bands Charlie Vernon (Chicago) is a god! Listening to him play the Williams tuba concerto makes me want to take up golf instead ...

kensar

Alf Morton was bass tromb in the fantastic trombone section at GUS in the early 60s. Maxwell Thornton on 1st and Jack Wesson on 2nd. The euphs/baris sat in front of them and the first piece I played with GUS was Intoduction to Act Three Lohengrin. They made my hair stand on end. Without doubt the best trombone section EVER!

PeterBale

Staff member
Andrew Williams (Cory) got to be my favourite, wonderful sound.

I'd also put in a word for Andrew Williams as a first class brass band section player: there are plenty of first-rate players out there, but some I find too prominent in a band setting. I think over the past few years, it is the Cory trombone section that have impressed me most overall, even with the changes in second trombone, with Dyke a close second.

Well here goes,

my opinion, John Ingman (B&R), Phil Spencer (CMFCB) and Gerriant Griffiths (Grimey), and of course in no particular order. Had the pleasure to play in the same section as them for various concerts etc and all are top chaps.:clap:

Toby

Struggling like hell to pick the best bass trombonist.... there are way too many good ones to choose from

JonP

Not sure who "the best" bass trombone player is, once they get to a cirtain level the are all awsome. IMHO.

There is a player though that we always try to use when we do the bigger stuff with WormsHead Brass. He does not do a great deal of band stuff but his name is:

Josh Hayward. Hes a lovely player, great sound and always plays very musically.

He has a biog on our site.

www.wormsheadbrass.com

MoominDave

Not sure who "the best" bass trombone player is, once they get to a cirtain level the are all awsome. IMHO.

That raises an interesting point, one that struck me when I first took up the bass trombone, aged 13, branching out from euphonium - it is possible to get absolutely everything right, in a way that is much harder on other band instruments, because the written parts have such low expectations of players' ability, relative to other band instruments.

yorkshire_lass86

Andrew Williams is very very very good (not biased, not biased at all!) as is James Case who play's for Polysteel (who did a fab job of the solo in Northern lights in Butlins a year ago), Gareth Sykes is a crackin player too, you wouldnt want to sit in a section with him tho, bit smelly !!! (only jokin :p)

That raises an interesting point, one that struck me when I first took up the bass trombone, aged 13, branching out from euphonium - it is possible to get absolutely everything right, in a way that is much harder on other band instruments, because the written parts have such low expectations of players' ability, relative to other band instruments.

I can't agree with that, though I take the point that many bass trom parts are superficially easier in terms of, for example, fewer fast semi quaver passages, I think the day you think you've got "absolutely everything right" is the day you stop progressing as a player.

There is always something that can be better, and if as bass trom players we are on top of the technique, split notes, and intonation then myriad other factors can ALWAYS be improved e.g. balance, prodution, blending of sound, using the right sound at the right time, ensemble skills etc.

Ali

Frosty by a mile! Also Adrian H, Camilla Tveit, Gaz Beck to name but a few more of many.

Totally agree with Messers Frost and Beck(with). But I would also say Gaz (Vader) Sykes of YBS and young Mr Minshall of Fodens as well!

Maestro

One of the best bass trom sounds that I have heard was a chap who played with the ISM, then William Davis and I think, if memory serves me correctly, ended up at First City.
The downside is that I have completely forgotten his name :oops:

MoominDave

Hi Phil,

We've been here before!
http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3947

I think it's undeniable that every other player in the band who is playing the most senior part allocated to their instrument gets more of a challenge than the bass trombone does: principal cornet, solo euphonium, sop, flugel, solo horn, 1st baritone, 1st trombone, percussion, Eb bass, Bb bass even.

Chasing perfection on long notes whilst listening to wildly flailing fingers getting to grips with new and exciting challenges becomes something of a Zen activity after a while...

I should rephrase my original comment ("it is possible to get absolutely everything right, in a way that is much harder on other band instruments") along the lines of:
On bass trombone, you are almost always chasing the last 1% while other instruments are chasing the last 10 or 20%. Adjust proportions depending on the standard of your band, but the what's-left-to-get-right ratio of around 10:1 will in most cases remain approximately the same.

DanB

I did a trombone choir gig with Darren Smith from Syd Lawrence last year - I was (quite unusually) left speechless by his playing... A total star... his playing on Night in Tunisia nearly made me give up, as I'll never get anywhere near it! (CD available of this gig, PM me if interested!!)

Couple of major names been missed out of the orchestral field - Roger Argente at RPO and of course Bob Hughes who was in the LSO chair for many moons. One or the other can be heard crackling away on loads of films - Starwars, Pirates of Caribbean etc...

Hi Dave,

Just re read that old thread - had completely forgotten my little rant!

I can't disagree with you that on b trom we're usually chasing a smaller percentage, that said though it's always the last few percent that are the hardest to find! Law of diminshing returns and all that. Maybe thats what I enjoy about it. I guess I just love chasing perfection on long notes!

In relation to the best bass trombone player discussion - I think it makes one heck of a difference if you've got good players around you. Because (in my opinion) the role of the bass trom is mostly about fitting in with other parts and adding to the "band sound", it is so much easier to sound good when every one else (particularly tubas, troms and euphs / baris) is on top of their game.

Product tMP members are discussing