Best Area Testpieces of recent years

BoozyBTrom

My favorite top section choices have to be Blitz Prauge and Variationa On An Enigma.

And in the 1st it has to be Mouriana and Land Of The Long White Cloud. ( OOO Just noticed. Bit Of a NZ feel there)

bassinthebathroom

Pretty much enjoyed all 4 of the Area test pieces ive done too
The Undaunted (Eric Ball) - 1st section, 2001
Royal Parks (George Lloyd) - 1st secton, 2002
Prague (Judith Bingham) - Championship section, 2003 (Yes, I really did like it!!!)
Tristan Encounters (Martin Ellerby) - Championship section, 2004

Humphrey

Sharpy said:
I cant believe no-one has mentioned Paganini Variations its an awesome piece for the listener and the player.
I also really like Sounds, Spectrum, Year of the Dragon, Festival Music(Eric Ball), Coventry Variations and Royal Parks.

Have these all been used as Area test pieces? C'mon drummerboy, you'll know this one!

Andy_Euph

Blagger said:
On Alderley Edge SHOULD be used
Cracking piece - lovely (and hard....) Euph part :D

Totally agree, love that bit of music. Mind you imagine bands getting promoted, anyone else having play that :shock:

Sharpy

Sharpy wrote:
I cant believe no-one has mentioned Paganini Variations its an awesome piece for the listener and the player.
I also really like Sounds, Spectrum, Year of the Dragon, Festival Music(Eric Ball), Coventry Variations and Royal Parks.

Have these all been used as Area test pieces? C'mon drummerboy, you'll know this one!

OK some of them may not have been used as Area Test pieces. :oops:
But I like them! And Ive just remembered another one Pageantry.

For championship section in recent years I would go for Sounds and Lowry Sketchbook.

1st section I enjoyed Royal Parks, Ballet for Band, Spectrum and Purcell Variations was also pretty good.

Was a piece called 3 Saints by Goff Richards used a few years back in the 2nd or 3rd section? Remember hearing it at a contest and thinking it was pretty good to listen to but can't remember if it was at the Areas :?

Blagger

Three Saints.........yes I remember that one :?
Nice piece..... Also liked Cross Patonce (used in Top Section Pilks a few years ago) by same comp. Didn't like my performance on the day though :cry:

missflugel

Three Saints was used for the 3rd section Areas in 1998 (BOC Alert).

My favourite pieces of the last few years are:

Champ section: Blitz and Tristan Encounters.

1st Section: Passacaglia and Royal Parks.

3rd Section: Sinfonietta for Band (Horovitz).

Cant choose from all sections as havent heard them all or havent competed in those sections

Jo x

NAS

My choices...

Championship: Sounds
1st Section: Coventry Variations
2nd Section: Hollywood
3rd Section: Vizcaya
4th Section: Lydian Pictures.

I was a year too late to play 'Sounds' at the area unfortunatley but I live in hope that it will be picked as a test piece again SOON!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

BassBlaster

I loved The Sword Jewel and Mirror, in the 2nd section. Ceramic City Festival about 1972 in the Colston Hall for the Youth section.
4th section Shipbuilders 3rd Alice in Wonderland or Aeronaughts.
Championship, ooohhh. did well with un view de blummin matelot, 6th west of england. but Sounds was very good too. :D

Product tMP members are discussing