Benefits of "Buzzing?"

EIBB_Ray

After reading the thrilling thread on valve oil and the widespread disagreement on do's and don'ts, I thought I'd open up discussion on another practice.

I had a teacher, at one point, advote the practice of "buzzing" with a mouthpiece, in order to extend practice time beyond when one can play a horn. For example sitting in front of television or while driving...etc.

As I find myself increasingly strapped for time, I've started to do this while driving. While you can't actually practice, you can focus a "pitch," work on breathing, build some endurance (just from contact time on the chops) work on flexibility and work on tonguing. The thing I wonder about is what peoples opinions are on the possible damage I could do, since I'm not actually playing notes/hearing the result of my effort as I "practice." Do you think it's good for the kinds of things I mentioned (obviously not a substitute for practice, but an addition to it)? or Do you think I could be doing more harm than good. I haven't been doing it long enough to notice any effects either way yet, just wondering about any of your thoughts.

neiltwist

buzzing is excellent! As you said, it is definitely not a replacement, but if you are on holiday, a buzz a day doesn't go amiss.

I use buzzing as a warm up before I play anything, and before that without a mouthpiece at all. however, not everyone can do this, I don't know why.

buzzing should do some good, although I can say that I don't agree with the driving bit! Also, I have used my mouthpiece (Bach 1G) for resistance during breathing exercises. do you do any breathing exercises? you can do 5-10 minutes worth a day, and you can improve 10 fold in no time!

neiltwist

sparkling_quavers said:
neiltwist said:
a buzz a day doesn't go amiss.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: sorry i couldn't resist that!

hmmmm, I think I detect some rather sordid undertones there!

at least I didn't say 'a-blow-a-day'! :p :wink:

BoozyBTrom

You can get a tutor book with acompanying CD that you can buzz along to. its excllent. Use it most days in the car.

Its Call Buzzing Basics. Well Worth it.

geordiecolin

I assume you buzz without your mouthpiece whilst driving else mr plod'll be after you!! Not being in proper control of the vehicle etc. If i got run down and killed by a buzzing bass trombone player, i'd be gutted!!

Whilst being good practice, buzzing is just fundamentally dull. but i still do it.

EIBB_Ray

One hand on the mouthpiece, one on the cell phone, won't tell you how I steer or change radio stations :wink: But seriously, who'd buzz while on the phone that's either rediculous or rude (perhaps both)

But really seriously, no problem holding a mouthpiece and driving, very uncongested drive to work, not a problem for me, can't speak for our Bass Trom friend. And BTW, Mr. Plod??? I assume we're talking about cops, never heard that nickname. Cops, Troopers, Bears, Fuzz etc.....getting deoragtory and not meaning to.

BoozyBTrom

EIBB_Ray said:
can't speak for our Bass Trom friend.

Luxury of a Automatic Car With cruise control so plenty of opertunities to buzz to my hearts content with mouthpeice. and a dead road.

Valvecap

Not really one to buzz on a mouthpiece - too uncomfortable :twisted:

Seriously though, buzzing seems to make the initial warmup easier and probably does extend your stamina by 0.000001% or so - but dont think buzzing before you play is going to make your range better, stamina last longer or anything like that.

Very useful for when you are away on hols if you cant take the instrument

Sort of on topic, does anyone else (cornet players especially) find that the Wick mouthpieces aint perfectly round on the rim? i have a DW4 and its feels totally different on the chops depending which way round its facing...

I know i am not the only person who thinks this with cornet mouthpieces...

sudcornet

Sort of on topic, does anyone else (cornet players especially) find that the Wick mouthpieces aint perfectly round on the rim? i have a DW4 and its feels totally different on the chops depending which way round its facing...
I do know what you mean....I swapped to the 4W...same cup etc. but wider rim and haven't noticed the anomaly on it.
Sud

Di B

EIBB_Ray said:
After reading the thrilling thread on valve oil and the widespread disagreement on do's and don'ts, I thought I'd open up discussion on another practice.

I had a teacher, at one point, advote the practice of "buzzing" with a mouthpiece, in order to extend practice time beyond when one can play a horn. For example sitting in front of television or while driving...etc.

As I find myself increasingly strapped for time, I've started to do this while driving. While you can't actually practice, you can focus a "pitch," work on breathing, build some endurance (just from contact time on the chops) work on flexibility and work on tonguing. The thing I wonder about is what peoples opinions are on the possible damage I could do, since I'm not actually playing notes/hearing the result of my effort as I "practice." Do you think it's good for the kinds of things I mentioned (obviously not a substitute for practice, but an addition to it)? or Do you think I could be doing more harm than good. I haven't been doing it long enough to notice any effects either way yet, just wondering about any of your thoughts.

Well, I live in a rather thin walled flat so practising for me is an absolute nightmare!!!

I do buzz on a regular basis however, and I have found it has built up my strength considerably, but I guess it is what you actually do when you are buzzing that is important?

Example, I play long notes, single/double/triple tongue and even lip slur to an extent as part of my buzzing practice.

True, it doesn't make up for actual practice, but in my opinion it is a good thing as long as you stick to the basic lessons.

Finally, I have heard that a police bod could 'do' you for buzzing when driving as you are not concentrating on the road.... similar to the mobile phone thing really.

HTH

EIBB_Ray

Thanks for the comment Di B. I've been doing it more and I think it's helping too.

I find it interesting that eveyone is concerned about the police. Things must be so much more strict in your part of the world than mine. Here, you pretty much have to run into someone or something to get popped for "distracted driving." It's kind of an "add-on" ticket here. Anyway, thanks for the concern, I have a very sparse drive, so I can do it pretty safely (wouldn't do it if I was in freeway traffic.)

timbloke

I regularly buzz, both with and without my mouthpiece. Probably easier on a lower instrument i'd imagine. Try buzzing near a piano, then you won't loose your pitch, buzzing can really help with intonation as you rely on your ears and mouth rather than valves/slide to pitch the note. If you can play a peice well on your mouthpiece, esp if you can make it sound any good, you'll notice a difference.

We once did a Brass Bonanza at school, about 100 or soo kids who couldn't play, and buzzed the theme to Neighbours. great fun!!

Tuba Girl

I agree with you Timbloke. Buzzing is good! It strengthens the muscles around your lips so increases your stamina. I try to buzz before I go to band which means that if I was to be late I would be quite warmed up and I would feel comfortable, although I do try and get to band 15 mins early aswell.
I was always told that as a brass player I have to act like an athlete. Just like they have to warm up so do we and buzzing is just a different exercise. That is as far as it goes though as I am not into 50 laps of a track I would rather have 50 pints! :) :) :) :guiness :guiness :guiness

Tuba Girl

I see what you are saying but then how do people play brass instuments?
When I started playing I first played the trumpet but to start you had to buzz if you could not buzz you were not allowed to take lessons. So how do people play if they cannot buzz. I am not being rude just curious.