Beethoven -- Good Transcriptions?

jobriant

The year 2020 marks the 250th anniversary of the birth of Ludwig Van Beethoven. We would like to play one or two of his pieces during our 2020-2021 season. In particular, I'm looking at Symphony No. 5, either the opening movement or the entire symphony. This is available, in an arrangement by Bram Gray, but I've found no "sample parts" or audio files online, to determine its suitability for our band. (I think it's the entire symphony, but I'm not sure.)

What can the collective wisdom of this group tell me about this arrangement? Is it indeed the entire symphony? It is playable by a reasonably good band? Are there range issues with any particular parts, especially high range for some instruments?

And are there other Beethoven arrangements that you would recommend?

Thanks!

Jim O'Briant, Gilroy, California, USA
Music Director / Staff Arranger
The Pacific Brass Band
www.PacificBrassBand.org

John Brooks

Howard Snell did an arrangement of the finale to Symphony No. 7 and there's also a Denis Wright arrangement of Themes from Symphony No. 5.

jobriant

Howard Snell did an arrangement of the finale to Symphony No. 7 and there's also a Denis Wright arrangement of Themes from Symphony No. 5.
Can you give any insight into the difficulty level of these arrangements? We're not afraid of a challenge, but we're not as strong in some sections, so I try to allow for this when selecting music.

I pretty much know what's currently available, from searching on the websites of several Brass Band music sellers, so I'm really looking for advice such as "This chart isn't a really good arrangement," or "this is an excellent arrangement," or "good arrangement, but all your horns need to be solid on and above G."

Thanks!

The Pacific Brass Band
www.PacificBrassBand.org

John Brooks

Can you give any insight into the difficulty level of these arrangements? We're not afraid of a challenge, but we're not as strong in some sections, so I try to allow for this when selecting music.

I pretty much know what's currently available, from searching on the websites of several Brass Band music sellers, so I'm really looking for advice such as "This chart isn't a really good arrangement," or "this is an excellent arrangement," or "good arrangement, but all your horns need to be solid on and above G."

Thanks!

The Pacific Brass Band
www.PacificBrassBand.org
Sorry Jim, I'm not in a position to provide that feedback. Maybe someone else on here can assist. I obtained the information from a review of my recordings index.

ChrisHelme

Hello Jim

Please have a look at my website www.chrishelme-brighouse.org.uk on the Sunday Bandstand section of the website you will find all my 2 hour shows dating back to August 2014. Type in the search box at the bottom of the page Beethoven click the button and it will bring all the shows where a piece based on Beethoven will have been played in. Look down each play list and you see where it plays in the show's running playlist. Listen to the whole show or move the slider across and listen at the point where the Beethoven piece starts.

Any problems please email me at bandstand@chrishelme.org.uk

Regards

Chris

jobriant

... Please have a look at my website www.chrishelme-brighouse.org.uk on the Sunday Bandstand section of the website ... [search for ] Beethoven ... Look down each play ... Listen to the whole show or ... listen at the point where the Beethoven piece starts.
Thanks for this information and suggestion. I should have some time during the next 10 days to do that.

im O'Briant, Gilroy, California, USA
The Pacific Brass Band
www.PacificBrassBand.org

jobriant

brassneck

Sounds like a nice arrangement. I'll consider it. Can you make it available one step lower (concert keys of Bb and G rather than A and C)? And will parts then be available? (I think you have my email address.... drop me a line.)

The Pacific Brass Band
www.PacificBrassBand.org
Jim, I've sent the amended score/parts to your email address.