Bathing instruments

TuTuKu

Sorry if there's already been a topic on this!!

I've just cleaned my cornet out today... eugh! and it wasn't pretty!! it's making me think i should clean it more often!!

How often do you clean yours?

Vickitorious

I used to have to clean my horn out about every 3 days because the valves were so bad, but since they've been fixed, I clean it out every time I've been ill or going to a contest, but about once every month. :) And no, it isn't very pretty! Euw! :( :D

Di

Vickitorious said:
I used to have to clean my horn out about every 3 days because the valves were so bad, but since they've been fixed, I clean it out every time I've been ill or going to a contest, but about once every month. :) And no, it isn't very pretty! Euw! :( :D

Pardon me, WHO cleans yours out for you Vickitorious? Don't think I've ever seen YOU do it!!! :? :wink:

I take out all the vavles and tubes and then use the shower hose with the spray head taken off on Vicki's horn. Luke warm water poured for a few minutes down each pipe always does the trick.

HBB

Relations ?????? :D

I can't remember the last time i've done my cornet or horn!

I guess it'll have to be done some time soon :cry:

Ben :roll:

Vickitorious

Dinie said:
Vickitorious said:

Pardon me, WHO cleans yours out for you Vickitorious? Don't think I've ever seen YOU do it!!! :? :wink:

I take out all the vavles and tubes and then use the shower hose with the spray head taken off on Vicki's horn. Luke warm water poured for a few minutes down each pipe always does the trick.
:oops: It does work though, Get your parents to do it for you, thats my advise :wink: :p

Di

Slaves, thats what we are. :cry:

Chamber maid.
Chief cook and bottle washer.
Purchaser of music.
Laundry Service.
Instrument Cleaner.
Trophy Polisher.
Taxi Driver (no, taxi implies paid transport, :roll: Chauffeur!).

Di

homocidalbennyboy said:
Did you mention Cheif Nagger? :D

Na, comes too close to chief moaner, that's Vicki's job!! :D :lol: :lol:

PS: Get that instrument cleaned out, and I mean NOW! :twisted: :wink:

HBB

floral_dance said:
let's hope your mum is not on here Ben :wink:

Lol ... nah she's too busy writing silly remarks on my band's forum, and with gazillions of posts on here she'll never find it ...

*gulps*

... hopefully! :D

Ben

Di

Mmm, not sure about pressure washing. I think a fast running shower hose is sufficient. If you hold it against the mouthpiece pipe until it looks like all the bleugh is out, then move on to the other pipes. Then go back and start again, usually you get a bit more stuff out once it has had time for the warm water to soak and loosen it. Once the water has run clear for a couple of minutes, it should be nice and clean. :D

Okiedokie of Oz

When I first joined the Senior band as a kid, we had an ogre of a drum major who used to do monthly uniform and instrumetn inspections. So I developed a routine. Also, the older men (55+) in the bass section all had real handy home hints for cleaning. As a result, when I went to Cap Silver, I was known to hand instruments back in better condition then when they were given to me :p

A new guy in my band today told me he uises Car Salt (?????????) on his instruments. I've always used wam water and dishwashing detergent under the shower (or when I was on Bb the garden hose)

David Robinson

I just cleaned mine recently for the first time in ohh... three years (Since I got this particular trumpet) and I actually had very little "icky" stuff in there.

I suppose I clean it whenever I feel motivated, so basically every three years.