Basses

Cantonian

Why do some people say that they play EEb or BBb bass? If it is because they are in a lower octave then a Soprano cornet would be a EEb Soprano Cornet.

PeterBale

Staff member
As I understand it, the distinction goes back to former days, when some basses were relatively narrow bore, and the wider bore instruments were designated EEb and BBb to distinguish them - it just seems to have stuck!

Big Fella

I once had it explained to me, by somebody who should know, here goes..

The only difference, between a Eb / Bb, and a EEb / BBb, is that the latter has a compensating system.
Not sure how true, but it sounds feasible to me..

geordiecolin

Big Fella said:
I once had it explained to me, by somebody who should know, here goes..

The only difference, between a Eb / Bb, and a EEb / BBb, is that the latter has a compensating system.
Not sure how true, but it sounds feasible to me..

Thats what I've always been led to believe as well.

Highams

Yes, it's a term adopted by brass bands when words like 'profundo' & 'bombardon' went out of fasion.
Little student models and early non-compensating instruments were also listed in catalogues as single models.
Prior to the large bore coming in, it was also possible get instruments with extra large bells as well.

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk

Cornishwomble

Highams said:
Yes, it's a term adopted by brass bands when words like 'profundo' & 'bombardon' went out of fasion.

Oh wouldn't banding be so much more fun if we kept names like that!
:lol:

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.