Bass trombone!

What do you play?

• Total voters

JessopSmythe

bigcol said:
BoozyBTrom said:
now got my hands on an Old Contra Bass Trom
Post some more details Gaz - make model pitch etc.

I'm a Contrabass trombone geek - so I'd probably get excited at any details you could spare!
I'm jealous now. Where's a good place to look for a contrabass. I've wanted one for years

amgray

Much respect MoominDave!!! 8)
Now thats a Der Der!!!!!!!!! Maximum Grin Factor :lol:
I presume it's pitched an 8ve below a Bb tenor?
If so, can you "pedal" easily on it and easily use "normal" Bass Tbn double pedals?

MoominDave

Ree-speck! Sorry about that - came over all Ali G for a moment...

Tis indeed an octave below Tenor (i.e. 18' Bb). What are pedals on a normal Bass are 2nd harmonics on this, and are fulsomely round - and prominent, if one wishes. True pedals (i.e. 1st harmonics) are pretty low - the highest is the Bb at the bottom of the piano an octave below a Tenor's pedal C. Though it can potentially go down to the C (concert pitch) below this (!) I can only take it to the G-ish before the sound turns into air. I've got a recording of myself playing this instrument with a scratch orchestra doing 'Die Walkuere' last year, and it is awesomely evident in the octave below the bass staff - it's a musical tank!

Dave

MoominDave

Bb Bass pitch. It's the length of tubing - 18 feet ('). Similarly Tenor Trombone Bb is 9' Bb. Sorry, I thought that these were common designations.

Dave

PeterBale

Staff member
MoominDave said:
Bb Bass pitch. It's the length of tubing - 18 feet ('). Similarly Tenor Trombone Bb is 9' Bb. Sorry, I thought that these were common designations.

Dave
Most commonly spoken of regarding organ stops, the C being described as 16', 32' or 64' for the real monster low notes.

the fish

MartinT said:
MoominDave, when do we get our front room back??? :D
Martin good to see you've joined :lol:

Maybe you could purchase that BBBb Tuba next time you go to Harvard, now that would be something! :shock:

Regards.

Julian

MartinT

I managed to fit a G trombone in the overhead bins once, but Harvard's BBBb tuba? (In what Dave would describe correctly as 36-foot Bb??)

I have a photo which I'll try to get scanned in and posted here somehow.

Martin