Bass Trombone Stand

Gtrom

Hi .

It's about time I invested in a new Bass Trombone stand. I have had a Hamilton stand now for almost 30 years and found it to be great but found my new R9 just doesn't seem to sit on it right, it's weirdly listing and doesn't feel safe.

I've done a little homework and the K&M Bass Trom stand seems about the best (if the price is anything to go by) although the legs don't seem long enough for stability to my mind, similar to the Stagg heavy duty one.

It seems crazy that an expensive boutique instrument is balanced on a rather inexpensive stand, hope that makes sense.

What does everyone else use or not (I feel nightmare topples are about to resurface!)

Thank you.

2nd tenor

I used to use a Hercules Trombone Stand for Bb/F large bore Tenor Trombone and really liked it. Hercules Trombone Stand at Gear4music . Trombones are rather easily damaged and I’ve yet to find a stand that’s perfect and virtually guaranteed as a secure place to put your instrument.

In your position I think that I’d seek out comments from MoominDave (Dave Taylor), he’s got some expensive and heavy Bass Trombones that he plays to a high level of skill so you’ll get an informed answer.

Gtrom

Thanks 2nd tenor.

I recall Dave still uses a Hamilton stand.

I've now invested in the K & M bass trom stand. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks once again.

gvj

I use a Wessex contra bass trombone stand £50, very strong, I use it on my Rath R9 and my R90 contra!

merv

Hi I have the HERCULES for large bore tenor and find it very stable. Never quite sure where to grip the instrument when engaging the braces in the the grooves. Do you think it would suit the Rath R8 bass bone?

gvj

Hi I have the HERCULES for large bore tenor and find it very stable. Never quite sure where to grip the instrument when engaging the braces in the the grooves. Do you think it would suit the Rath R8 bass bone?
Yes it will

gvj

Sorry Merv. I was in a hurry earlier if you check The Wessex website they are excellent value and strong you might need some extra padding on the cone where the bell sits!

cockaigne

For what it's worth the K&M stands are up to the job - but getting pricier all the time, so I dare say you'll find a better buy, as has already been recommended.

MoominDave

In your position I think that I’d seek out comments from MoominDave (Dave Taylor), he’s got some expensive and heavy Bass Trombones that he plays to a high level of skill so you’ll get an informed answer.
Wanted to insert a boggling eyes emoji here. Not sure any of the set on this site quite do that job...

:eek::oops:o_O

No, none of those seem quite right...

I recall Dave still uses a Hamilton stand.
Correct. Is this celebrity?

Gtrom

Hi and thank you for the replies.

I have now had chance to test drive the K&M Stand and found it to be solid.

It's a weighty piece of kit and whilst the bone is sat on it it feels very stable and sturdy.

I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it to any Bass Trom player.

I recall from a previous thread that MoominDave uses a Hamilton Stand, it certainly isn't celebrity Dave, sorry :).