Bass Trombone Practice Mutes

Gtrom

Hi.

Can anyone recommend a practice mute to fit a standard 9 1/2 inch Bass Trombone bell ?

I have invested in 2 practice mutes in the past spending about £70 - £80 on each and, although advertised as Bass Trombone mutes, they just don't fit and can easily be blown out. ( I can't believe my airstream is that over-powered!)

I reverted to the Sellers (Wallace and Rath) and was assured they should fit and that I should maybe make the grips slightly rougher by sanding them but surely I shouldn't have to do that or forcibly screw the mute in damaging it and the Bell!

I can't believe I am the only one with this issue.

I have donated the 2 I have to the tenor trombones in my Band and they fit them perfectly.

Any comments and recommendations gratefully received.

Vegasbound

I have the Wallace adjustable mute fits my old 10.5 inch bell just fine, allows you to adjust the resistance bought it new from eBay for not a lot...... It does sound like you where sold the tenor version

Another option is the Shhh mutes, lightweight but great mutes

Gtrom

Hi Vegasbound and thanks for your reply.

Strange, I can't believe I've been unlucky twice, in fact the Rath one I bought the same time as my R9.

The Wallace mute had a French Horn/Bass Trombone sticker on it !

The mutes were both advertised as "compact" and can be stored in the bell when the instrument is packed away.

Hmm......

Basstiger

I’ve just bought a Bremner Shhh mute on eBay for £35. I looked at it for a week or so and today I have tried it. If I have to use one this is the best I’ve come across. It is light, doesn’t alter the pitch and above all stays put. I have a Yamaha 613H with a 9 1/2 inch bell. It doesn’t store in the bell however but that’s the least of my worries. All in all a good buy. Infinitely better than the Wick travel mute that I have for my euphonium.

Gtrom

Thanks guys.

I'll probably have to re-invest in another practice mute then but go for the less compact one.

I just can't believe the compact ones have been designed with this flaw in, puzzling.

Ubertuba

Hi.

Can anyone recommend a practice mute to fit a standard 9 1/2 inch Bass Trombone bell ?

I have invested in 2 practice mutes in the past spending about £70 - £80 on each and, although advertised as Bass Trombone mutes, they just don't fit and can easily be blown out. ( I can't believe my airstream is that over-powered!)

I reverted to the Sellers (Wallace and Rath) and was assured they should fit and that I should maybe make the grips slightly rougher by sanding them but surely I shouldn't have to do that or forcibly screw the mute in damaging it and the Bell!

I can't believe I am the only one with this issue.

I have donated the 2 I have to the tenor trombones in my Band and they fit them perfectly.

Any comments and recommendations gratefully received.
Good pair of sports socks works everytime

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.