Bass Trom Solos

Hello,

Have just decided to play a solo in some up an coming concerts.

Have pulled out of our library Wandrin' Star, Lazy Bones and Bonanza. Upto now i like Wandrin' Star.

Some one else has told me to try Minnie the Moocher. Does anyone in my area have a copy that i could take a peek at?

andybt1984

Wanderin' Star is a good choice, it was my first solo and always goes down well. Have you tried a piece called 'Mr Nice Guy' ?

Minnie the moocher is a fantastic bass trom solo

i have played it many times and always enjoy it

it is a fairly easy solo after a fair amount of practice, but you do need to be confident and fairly good on the lower register

here is a link for the score which goes up to nearly half way through the piece if it is any help

http://www.musikverlag-frank.ch/pdf/BB/0121.pdf

unfortunately on this part it does not go up to the low bits (apart from one note) so just to say it goes down to the Bb below the stave

it is a good crowd pleaser too

hope this helps you

josh

Mujician

In the hall of the mountain king - published by warwick music. Fantastic jazzy version of it, played by Doug Yeo. Do it!!!!! I have a copy - but nobody wants me to play (if anyone needs a bassbone in the midlands (eastish) area - give me a shout!)!!!!

Thanks to everyone who has posted up to now.

If you could also tell me who they are available from, that would be great. I can then try and have a look at them on t'internet.

I am quite a character in the band so a cheesy solo would probably suit me!! hehe!!

Thanks to everyone who has posted up to now.

If you could also tell me who they are available from, that would be great. I can then try and have a look at them on t'internet.

I am quite a character in the band so a cheesy solo would probably suit me!! hehe!!

minnie the moocher, wandrin star and i wanna be like yo are availiable from mostyn music (musikverlag frank ch)

if i were a rich man, wandrin star availiable from obrasso.ch

rainy day in rio etc. from studio music

cheesy solo? well minnie the moocher is a sleezy as it gets

tpcornet12

Hey Scooby, We're thinking of getting "If I Were a Rich Man" for Matt Shaw. I believe it's arranged by Sandy Smith so should be good! We will be doing it on 19th April - could lend it you after that if you want a look?

Adamskied

Wandrin star

Which one is it? Cause i would love to play the Wandrin Star that was played at
the Granada band of the year contest on TV, have a recording of it and its fantastic.

Does anyone know this one? If they do can a copy be got???

Cheers

Hey Scooby, We're thinking of getting "If I Were a Rich Man" for Matt Shaw. I believe it's arranged by Sandy Smith so should be good! We will be doing it on 19th April - could lend it you after that if you want a look?

that would be great, just send me a pvt when your done and i will pop down to a rehearsal and borrow it. Thanks for the offer!!

If you're looking for something more serious "Proclamation" by Gordon Langford is a good blow, not too hard but bits need looking at and a full range (pedal G to high Ab I think) or if you've access to a G trom there's a old SA one called The Passing Years:biggrin:

boneman0970

Which one is it? Cause i would love to play the Wandrin Star that was played at
the Granada band of the year contest on TV, have a recording of it and its fantastic.

Does anyone know this one? If they do can a copy be got???

It was played by Adrian 'Benny' Morris, and I do believe a gentleman called Steve Eccles arranged it, I used to have it but like many pieces it ended up in another bands library. I'm sure he used to be with one of the Police bands( Steve Eccles that is). Best to contact the Leyland Band on this one!
Sorry I couldnt be of more help!!

Last edited:

Masterblaster jnr

I'm pretty sure (but please don't quote me on this) that there's an arrangement of Bizet's Toreador Song and i 'think' it's for Euphonium and Bass trom, but not sure.

Am willing to be proved wrong

Last edited: