bass and euph mutes

CRat63

As its you Andy.....here I go (in my best voice)

For a minute there Dave I thought you were going to throw your Euph away - got all excited! :twisted: :lol:

Done.

CrAt

Andy_Euph

CRat63 said:
As its you Andy.....here I go (in my best voice)

For a minute there Dave I thought you were going to throw your Euph away - got all excited! :twisted: :lol:

Done.

CrAt

Cheers Crat :D master of all euphonium playing in hudds :D

blue euph

I have a R&S mute for my euphonium. They also make it for Bb, Eb and F tubas. It works pretty good once you adjust the dialers to the right position. Since buying my mute 5 years ago, I hardly use it for any performing except for practicing every now and then mainly because I very rarely come across any music that require a mute and when I do come across a piece which requires a mute, the other euphonium player(s) don't have a mute so that section is played without a mute. For my arrangement of Chester, in the beginning of it, I purposely call for a mute and its played without the piano unaccompianment, a neat little effect.

Tuba Mutes

What tuba mutes do you recommend and where's a good deal?
Seems a lot of money for a few bars in the odd test piece.

mikelyons

Supporting Member
The best sound I ever got was from putting my pad over the bell, with the front edge close to the front of the bell and the back open. Produces a lovely distant sound, with no intonation problems. ;)

tinytimp

Why don't you use a euph (or it may have been baritone) mute in your tuba like one of the players for Tredegar did in Ebbw Vale on Saturday? (Did anyone else notice that - bizarre!)

Darth_Tuba

Remembering that the purpose of mutes is NOT to make you play quieter (you do that by, surprisingly, playing quieter) but to create different colours and sounds that are not normally available in a brass band. Playing quieter is just a side effect if you will. With that in mind, if you want decent mutes I refer back to my earlier post and recommend the Paul Lawrence mutes. They just feel the best to me, and I have used both the metal Wicks and the Geter Gane fibre mutes in bands before.

tubamaest

Try the new range of mutes by Mike McClean,Carbon Fibre I think,Superb for the Tuba,they even fit inside your bell for transporting.
We've just tried them at Grimey, and the lads on the Bass end are all investing in their own.Unlike the Peter Gane,all the range of notes speak really clear,a real braek through ,me thinks.

Richard
(EEb Tuba Grimey)

Seems like we're too late but as noted by the last two posts the peter gane mutes are really quite poor for basses. The phil lawrence ones which Darth Tuba suggested were much better when I tried one of Leylands, actually still sounded like a musical instrument. Sounds like the Mike McLean ones have also been designed for music rather than copied from a traffic cone!

Having said that, all the peter gane mutes I've played on have been rather old, I believe the maker has changed recently and it may be that they have been improved?

Richard Cookson.

Besses o'th' Barn band

brassneck

tubamaest said:
Try the new range of mutes by Mike McClean,Carbon Fibre I think,Superb for the Tuba,they even fit inside your bell for transporting.
We've just tried them at Grimey, and the lads on the Bass end are all investing in their own.Unlike the Peter Gane,all the range of notes speak really clear,a real braek through ,me thinks.

Richard
(EEb Tuba Grimey)

... had a look at the site and the mutes after I saw your post! Interesting concept that it serves both as practice and concert mute. How do the clips keep out of the way of the bell? Any prices available for them?

http://www.mikemcleanmutes.co.uk/range/4pc_tub1.htm