Bands in Oxfordshire / Warwickshire

Banana

Just found out I'm moving house in the summer - from Plymouth to south Warwickshire (near Banbury). Anybody know what bands are in that area or how I can find out? This is obviously far more important than looking for a house or a school for the children!

A cornet and baritone from a 2nd section band in search of a home?!!!! :dunno

BANDS NEAR BANBURY

The Bradwell Silver Band is based in Milton Keynes about 30 minutes from Banbury. We are a good 3rd section band with current vacancy for Solo Cornet. Another Baritone player would also be very welcome.

For details contact: MD. Brian Keech 01908 310959 or visit our website www.bradwellband.co.uk

My Dad's band / my 'old' band, Shipston Town Band, in Shipston-on-Stour, Warwickshire. Not too far from Banbury though they are third section at the moment. Very friendly set of people and worth a visit!

jo

geography not being my subject i dont know about proximity to banbury, but city of oxford, wantage silver, abingdon (abbey brass), yarnton, cholsey and kidlington spring to mind. Most of these have websites with contact details and I can recommend both wantage and city of oxford as friendly bands (well they were 10 years ago anyway!)
Good luck in your search!

MoominDave

Just worked it out - that's Jo Jones, isn't it? Moments like this always make me wonder who else I know that regularly reads the rubbish that I write on here...

There's also

Bletchingdon
Hook Norton
Chipping Norton
Leamington Spa

all of which are 4th/non-contesting

and

Towcester Studio (1st)

in the immediate vicinity that I can think of.

City of Oxford are top section;
Wantage are 1st section;
the two Abingdon bands are 4th/non-contesting, as are Yarnton and Cholsey.
We (Kidlington) are also top section.
Brackley are 1st section.

See http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...96&st=4&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf for a map of the area.

There are also a number of bands in the Coventry area - Jaguar (Coventry), City of Coventry, Coventry Festival, etc...

Dave

the fish

Other fairly loacal band's that maybe worth a go are -

Jubilee Brass based in Oxford - Third Section.
Chalgrove - Based just outide Oxford - Fourth Section.
Chinnor - Third Section.

Best of luck band hunting!

Julian

jo

MoominDave said:
Just worked it out - that's Jo Jones, isn't it? Moments like this always make me wonder who else I know that regularly reads the rubbish that I write on here...

Dave

guilty as charged! Hi Dave, glad to hear you are doing well and enjoying life!

bennem

Since this question has preempted my own question I will drag the thread out a bit.

I am also moving to the Oxford area in the next couple of months, if the people buying my house stop pulling out Argghhhh! This means that I have been looking around at which bands are about as well.

I aim to live in or near Bicester although I have seen a nice house just outside Brackley. So an obvious band choice if I move there.

However, a band that some people in my current band have mentioned but hasn't been brought up in the thread so far are Stonesfield who are second section and based in Kidlington. Do they still exist or have they been swallowed up by Kidlington Silver?

At present I play solo cornet in a second section band, Corsham in Wiltshire.

Naomi McFadyen

Sorry to hear about the move! :-(
You and Alex will be missed at Soundhouse...
Good luck for finding a band- hope to catch you before you leave in the summer so I can say goodbye proply!

MartinT

Bennem, Stonesfield definitely exist and are 1st section. Their MD is Terry Brotherhood, who's in the phone book - but I can get contact details for you if necessary.

Glad to see things are going well for you, Jo.

Martin Taylor
Chairman, ODBBA

MoominDave

Hi Jo; I'm working on the same site as your dad these days, oddly enough. Good to see that you're doing well anyway!

bennem said:
However, a band that some people in my current band have mentioned but hasn't been brought up in the thread so far are Stonesfield who are second section and based in Kidlington. Do they still exist or have they been swallowed up by Kidlington Silver?

As already mentioned, Stonesfield certainly still exist (I didn't omit them deliberately!). I'm not sure if they're still based in Kidlington though - they moved rehearsal venue a while back, but it won't be far away. I'm sure you (and Banana of course and anyone else who happened to be passing by) would be welcome to pop in for a blow with us anytime.

Dave

stephen_clapton

Hi Dave, stonesfield were playing in a nice hall in shipton on cherwell last time i helped them, and according to the bandsman, have just got a number of ex-city of oxford players join as well

stevetrom

I play with Brackley band and any of you would alwayds be welcome to come over for a blow - and a beer at the band club is compulsory after rehersal !

Mondays & Fridays 7.30-9.30 - junior band on wednesdays if any of you have kids

Lisa Holley

Can confirm that both City of Oxford www.cosb.co.uk and Stonesfield www.stonesfieldsilverband.org.uk are both looking for players.

If you are thinking of moving to Bicester its about equal distance from there to Oxford Band Room and or Stonesfield Band about 25 mins.

Oxford Practice on a Wednesday & Sunday evenings
Stonesfield Practice on Monday & Thursday evenings