Bands at Cheltenham 2013

ekimmort

Is it time for 4barsrest to stop making predictions. their 3rd section predictions :-1. Hucknall & Linby Finished 4th,
2. Dronfield Genquip " 16th
3. Eccles Borough " 5th
4. Ireland Colliery (Chesterfield) " 11th
5. Marple " 14th
6. Wotton & District " 10th
Dark Horse: Pontypool Brass " 15th

This post is not a comment about any of the above bands who all played a very demanding piece of music, it is to show that 4barsrest do not know much about the 3rd section bands.

Bob Sherunkle

Thats assuming of course, ekimmort, that it is not the adjudicators that are "dodgy".

I recall that one of the pairing has had less than favourable reviews on here in the past.

Just saying...

You could also use logic to draw the conclusion (based on the section winners at this contest) that the relative strenghts of the British Areas is:- 1. Wales, 2. London and SC, 3rd equal. All of t'North and the West.

QED

Bob

Is it time for 4barsrest to stop making predictions. their 3rd section predictions :-1. Hucknall & Linby Finished 4th,
2. Dronfield Genquip " 16th
3. Eccles Borough " 5th
4. Ireland Colliery (Chesterfield) " 11th
5. Marple " 14th
6. Wotton & District " 10th
Dark Horse: Pontypool Brass " 15th

This post is not a comment about any of the above bands who all played a very demanding piece of music, it is to show that 4barsrest do not know much about the 3rd section bands.
How do you draw this conclusion? The results are, after all, only the opinions of the adjudicators in the box on the day, and as we all know another pair of adjudicators might well have come up with a completely different set of results.

tubafran

How do you draw this conclusion? The results are, after all, only the opinions of the adjudicators in the box on the day, and as we all know another pair of adjudicators might well have come up with a completely different set of results.
Those "predictions" were made before a note had been played and are usually based on the previous and recent form of the bands. However after all the bands had played and 4bars had heard them in similar conditions to the adjudicators, probably with a score but not in a tent and this was their "educated" opinion

1. St Ronan’s came 9th
2. Bodmin came 6th
3. Eccles came 5th
4. Skelmanthorpe came 2nd
5. Hucknall came 4th
6. Dronfield came 16th ! - do you think they were trying to justify the pre-contest prediction on this one?

Dark Horses: Marple came 14th /Pontypool came 15th

Doesn't read much better does it?

Those "predictions" were made before a note had been played and are usually based on the previous and recent form of the bands. However after all the bands had played and 4bars had heard them in similar conditions to the adjudicators, probably with a score but not in a tent and this was their "educated" opinion

1. St Ronan’s came 9th
2. Bodmin came 6th
3. Eccles came 5th
4. Skelmanthorpe came 2nd
5. Hucknall came 4th
6. Dronfield came 16th ! - do you think they were trying to justify the pre-contest prediction on this one?

Dark Horses: Marple came 14th /Pontypool came 15th

Doesn't read much better does it?
Yes, but 4BR, and, for that matter, other online pundits, are giving THEIR opinions on how THEY would call the results having listened to the bands, and for me that provides an interesting alternative perspective on the contest apart from the one produced from 'the box'.

MoominDave

It's still quite fun if you come 3rd... :tup

But I think I wouldn't have been too distraught to come low down - it's the finals, after all, and every band there knows what they are doing. You can turn in an excellent performance there and come nowhere - it happens to a number of bands every year. And for the pundits, such as 4BR, it's an exceptionally difficult one to call accurately.

WhatSharp?

It's still quite fun if you come 3rd... :tup

But I think I wouldn't have been too distraught to come low down - it's the finals, after all, and every band there knows what they are doing. You can turn in an excellent performance there and come nowhere - it happens to a number of bands every year. And for the pundits, such as 4BR, it's an exceptionally difficult one to call accurately.
huge well done to you guys!, we ( Alder Valley ) were very happy with 9th ( after reading the 4barsrest comments we thought we'd be last! ) more so when you see the strength of the bands there!

good weekend for L&SC bands all things considered!

MoominDave

Thanks! We thought we'd turned in a good couple of movements, then spoiled it with looseness in the 3rd, so it was very pleasing. In the end, the main criticism, from both 4BR and one of the adjudicators, seemed to be that we didn't razz it enough in the loud portions - not had that before!

LGB are the real stars from a L&SC perspective though, winning the 3rd section. Top effort, chaps and chappesses.

LGB are the real stars from a L&SC perspective though, winning the 3rd section. Top effort, chaps and chappesses.
Aye they definately seem to have pulled that off rather well. Certainly flying the flag for L&SC region.

Congratulations.
(first horn Amersham band)

Andy_Euph

It's nice to see that over the past couple of years there has been a diversification of success at the Nationals...it seems banding is alive and well outside the NW/Yorkshire boundaries!

Well done to all the winners and particularly Eccles Borough for a creditable 5th in the 3rd section.

Now, when are the areas??? ;-)

Pillsbury

Aye they definately seem to have pulled that off rather well. Certainly flying the flag for L&SC region.

Congratulations.
(first horn Amersham band)
Very happy for the bands in the region who competed at Cheltenham. Some great results all round.

Philip Doe

cockaigne

Very happy with our 6th place (Epsom & Ewell, 2nd section) - and pleased to see other L&SC bands doing well in the other sections too. Now if only 4BR would come and hear us at the Areas next year... ;)

cockaigne

Now, when are the areas??? ;-)
The dates listed in the programme for Cheltenham are given for the regions as follows (in alphabetical order):

London & Southern Counties - Saturday March 15th (3, 1) and Sunday March 16th (4, 2, C)

Midlands - Saturday March 8th (1, 3) and Sunday March 9th (C, 2, 3) NB. not sure which is the typo, but the 3rd section is listed twice in my programme :confused:

North of England - Saturday March 15th (3, 2) and Sunday March 16th (4, 1, C)

North West - Sunday March 9th

Scotland - Saturday March 8th (2, 4, 3) and Sunday March 9th (1, C)

Wales - Saturday March 15th (3, 2, 1) and Sunday March 16th (4, C) NB. held at Venue Cymru, Llandudno

West of England - Saturday March 8th (4, 3, 1) and Sunday March 9th (2, C)

Yorkshire - Saturday March 1st (3, 1) and Sunday March 2nd (2, 4, C)

cockaigne

Thanks for the clarification; I wasn't sure of the usual routine, and couldn't find any confirmation on the Midland area website, so posted the information given in the hope that someone else would know better than I!