BandRoom Injuries

Lauradoll

Helen V said:
At least you know everyone at some point has caught their finger while collapsing a music stand!

I've still got a bruise on my leg from when I yanked the stand box skateboardy trolley off the bus after Preston. Think hauling it towards my leg wasn't the best plan, but after all that cava, who knows what I was thinking!!

Suz

Injuries

One of our cornet players got hit on the head by a frozen chicken after a contest once, it broke his glasses and gave him a black eye!!!

Honest!!!!!

flugelgal

johnmartin said:
A former flugel player with our band managed to go head first off the stage at a contest. The seating was very close to the edge of the stage and the conductor asked us all to pull in closer. Of course one of the legs of the flugel players chair was off the stage and when he sat down.......aaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

He got up and was fine but the flugel looked like dizzy gillespies trumpet and we had to borrow one from another band.

Ooo I remember that! Wasn't mine that was borrowed but I think we were in same section and played after you (not immediately after).

Kirsty

There could've been quite a nasty injury sustained at todays rehearsal. The 1st Horn was being really nice and driving the solo horn to some 'proper' toilets (no crouching in the grass for us classy ladies) but trapped the solo horn's fingers in the electric windows! Fortunately no serious damage was done.

Sorry Sal! :oops:

Dave1

After reading in the British Bandsman about the poor conductor who put his baton through his hand I told the story at band and promptly did exactly the same thing, but not as serious :roll: - very painful

Out celebrating my 21st on a Friday night, i fell over and slid on the right side of my face down a conrete slope (we're talking the sort of concrete that's made with bits of shell, pebbles and suchlike in it). This was fine, scabbed over quite nicely, until band on the Monday evening. As I inhaled for my first note of the night, there was an audible crunch and what felt like half my face fell off. All the scabs had cracked open, and several chunks had dropped off. Tasty!

drummergurl

erm my injuries at band seem to be when playing kit, setting kit up in a rush and gettting fingers trapped in stands, going to kit the crash cymbal with left hand which means stick just hitting cymbal and left hand hitting the hi hat (ouch!!!) , rim shots- getting fingers to hit the rim under stick
that seems like all of them.

Theres lots of percussion related injuries that can be very amusing for everyone else, i'm sure we've all done the ones where...

you're going for a choked cymbal and smash your hand instead of the instrument

a tubular bell drops off stand onto your foot

ditto tam-tam

winding yourself damping the clash cymbals

True Story:

" A professionsal orchestra plays the Verdi requiem in a lunchtime concert. At the climax of the work there is an fffff bass drum note (James McF you might want to put a warning in your piece!), for which the player has to prepare carefully. Rathe than the usual embarrassment of the beater going straight through the drum head, the note sounds at a wonderful fffff. However, a thud is heard shortly afterwards due to the collapsing of the principal viola- having been hit by the head of the bass drum beater......."

WhatSharp?

Split my lip open during a concert, I'd got my instrument down, then suddenly realised that I need my mute about a bar before playing, bent down, grabbed mute, instrument up bang on the lip, blood everywhere!. Fortunatley this was in the last bit of the concert so I struggled through the rest and as soon as we finished legged it to the bar for ice!.

Took me ages to wash my instrument out though!

Fridge

Too many to think of really, but the ones that stand out in my mind was falling out of the coach, rolling down the steps and ending up in a rather big pile on the floor when going to play for the chelsea pensioners in london, the other being shutting my own hand in someones car door and braking 2 fingers, blood everywhere, but it didn't stop me from going to the pub!!

bassinthebathroom

Remember a percussionist at a former band (they and he shall remain nameless, but those who know me will certainly know which band it was :wink:): When asked if he could stop the snares on the Side Drum from rattling when switched on by holding his hand against them, he promptly put his hand between the snares and the drum skin... and switched the snares on!!!!! :shock:

Lothianh

shedophone said:
True Story:

" A professionsal orchestra plays the Verdi requiem in a lunchtime concert. At the climax of the work there is an fffff bass drum note (James McF you might want to put a warning in your piece!), for which the player has to prepare carefully. Rathe than the usual embarrassment of the beater going straight through the drum head, the note sounds at a wonderful fffff. However, a thud is heard shortly afterwards due to the collapsing of the principal viola- having been hit by the head of the bass drum beater......."

This reminds me of a concert PBB did a couple of years ago, where we played Walton's "Crown Imperial". In the section with the long notes and chime strokes (tubular bells to you Brits, I guess), the conductor tells the percussionist "There's no way you can play those chimes too loudly." In the concert, with the chimes right behind me, I remember hearing a great ringing chime stroke on the first one, then the second one sounded a little odd, more of a "thunk" than a chime. Moments later all of us in the bass section were showered with shards of vinyl - the percussionist's mallet had shattered!!

The next chime stroke was nonexistent as the percussionist searched for another mallet. Finally, new mallet in hand, the next few strokes were there again and sounded great, only to be followed by yet another, you guessed it, "thunk" and another shower of vinyl for the basses.

Nobody was actually injured, but we made a lot of jokes about this new hazard in our "working conditions", and how we weren't going to play unless the band issued us safety goggles!! :-D

dashman

Not strictly in the band 'room' but whilst playing and impressive nontheless...

I played in the stage version of 'Brassed Off' a couple of years ago in the Cambridge Arts Theatre (smallest theatre in England?). At one point (Whit Marches scene), the band had to march a figure-of-eight around the stage, in and out of the wings. I failed to spot a very stationary pillar and marched my cornet straight into it. My playing career flashed before my eyes! :shock: I fell backwards into a euphonium player, who barely managed to hold onto his euph as we fell in a heap! I was lucky enough to escape with a bust lip and a slightly chipped front tooth - enough to serve as a sobering reminder.
The cornet wasn't so lucky.

Darren

brasscrest

RobertJohn said:
Coming back from the ripon contest I fell off the band wagon and left a piece of my head on the road. Ayaz!

As long as it wasn't your lip, most bandsmen don't use much of the rest of the head anyway :D

Valvecap

Self inflicted injury - put a small amount of water in a set of bass mutes... half way through rehersal the whole section uniformly moved to put mutes in, promptly soaking the person next to them. Basses saw the funny side, but a young cornet players mother (sat a little too close to the basses) did not. The letter she had spent the preceeding hour and a half writing was ruined. Injuries were slight, if rather painful.

akwarose

it didnt happen in the bandroom, but still painful nonetheless.
we were playing a concert in St James church in bradwell, and we were gettin ready in the vestry. Our bass trom player walked in and knocked a 6ft cast iron candlestick. i leapt forward to catch it and stop it fallin on my mate. as i turned round to put it back, anothjer one fell over and hit me just above the eye. I fell backwards and uttered many swearwords....
cue profuse apologies from bass trom, rather painful headache for the rest of the concert. i had a lovely bruise just above my eye for about 2, 3 weeks, meaning that everytime we went on stage at a concert, i looked like the band thug.
he did buy me chocolates to make up for it tho :)

Best one I experienced was when our old solo euphonium player fell off the stage and landed square on his back after trying to sit back down after we'd all stood up to perform a racey arrangement of saint louis blues. Instead of worrying about his neck and spinal area he kept screaming out that we save his gold sovereign eupho first and then worry about getting him some help....

"don't worry about me, save my eupho, save my eupho"

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.