Banding Ambitions

leisa

I personally would love to play at the Open, just because I'd love to play at Symphony Hall. I obviously want to do this with Staffs lol!

I would also like to finally master my tonguing technique again, since having a retainer removed in March I have struggled to say the least lol!...Its getting there...slowly and surely heh heh

I feel your pain on that one!! Mine hasn't been removed even though ive asked the dentist to take it off they keep saying no, and tonguing is not the easiest thing in the world with it on!

drummergurl

i guess in this respect i'm pretty lucky! a lot of things i'd have never dreamt that i'd achieve but i have!

i've played at the RAH at the Championship section finals, at harrogate in the lower section finals, i've played the Masters, the british open, brass in concert, that one in preston organised by philip biggs, yorkshire areas (champs section), north west areas (champs section and lower sections), played at the europeans (though not competing because i was part of the european youth band), played in disneyland paris (on tour with a youth band), won the best percussion section prize on several occasions (with me as principal percussionist at the time... with a youth band).

i've played in places such as RAH, Symphony Hall, Dvorak Rudolfinum Hall (prague), the sage in gateshead, and many other amazing concert halls around the uk mainly but also a couple in europe!

i'd have never in a million years thought that i'd join a band that was ranked in the top 10 bands in the world.. (granted we're not now, but we're still really highly ranked!)

i think now, my ambitions are to qualify for the championship section finals (as much as i've been to the finals and played in RAH i haven't played with the band when they qualify), and to actually win something. even if it's muppet of the year!

Llamedos

Do you have any banding ambitions ?

Dare you share them ?!

I currently have 2

Become Principle Cornet with a band ON MERIT !

Be P. Cornet with a contesting band and win a contest !

it is going to take quite a bit of work to achieve, but...

no pain, no gain :biggrin:
I would like to play in the Albert Hall! I've been in there but not played. Played in the Colston Hall,Harrogate international centre and a big place(can't remember the name of it but its where they have the international summit thingys I think) in Maastricht.
Also to be able to play pieces such as Sovereign Heritage,Downland Suite,High Peak,Journey into Freedom,Diadem of gold etc that seem to be going "out of fashion" and rarely heard these days. These are the sort of pieces that inspired me when I stated banding-send a shiver down your spine when listening to (or even if you might be lucky enough to play). Wish there was a contest where they only used older pieces!I suppose it could be done at an own choice.....??

ScaryFlugel

To dep with a fairly top-ish band and acquit myself well (I'd even do that in a park job and on filthy cornet if I had to!)
To play some good hard music well - not fussed what - it's just I've really got the itchy fingers to tackle some stuff that's too hard for my band
To write well enough that people might regard me as a safe pair of arranging hands.
To write something original and it not be rubbish

flugelgal

To play flugel again. (booo, cornet, booo).
To play Paganini Variations in a contest. (on flugel ;)).

That's it for now. I'm a simple sort of a gal really. :biggrin:

I've already played in RAH finals (ok it was a low section in Y2K but it still counts), and our band is going to the Europeans "B" section this year so I'm getting to do that too. Woohoo.

I want to add to my ambitions - I want to be an adjudicator. So, that percussion get a mention on the crit instead of, "Good sound from perc" or "Perc were slowing things up" that's not really helping us gain anything is it?! Feedback that is useful would be better.

lynchie

I want to add to my ambitions - I want to be an adjudicator. So, that percussion get a mention on the crit instead of, "Good sound from perc" or "Perc were slowing things up" that's not really helping us gain anything is it?! Feedback that is useful would be better.

I always find it odd when percussion complain about that. My one personal objective at any contest is that I don't get mentioned in the remarks.

Thirteen Ball

I always find it odd when percussion complain about that. My one personal objective at any contest is that I don't get mentioned in the remarks.

One of our shed-builders once told me being a percussionist is a lot like being a goalkeeper. Generally, no-one pays much attention to you, however well you're playing.... until you muck it up.

I find the same is true of being in bass sections. If he didnt even notice you, you played well.

grausue

i guess in this respect i'm pretty lucky! a lot of things i'd have never dreamt that i'd achieve but i have!

i've played at the RAH at the Championship section finals, at harrogate in the lower section finals, i've played the Masters, the british open, brass in concert, that one in preston organised by philip biggs, yorkshire areas (champs section), north west areas (champs section and lower sections), played at the europeans (though not competing because i was part of the european youth band), played in disneyland paris (on tour with a youth band), won the best percussion section prize on several occasions (with me as principal percussionist at the time... with a youth band).

i've played in places such as RAH, Symphony Hall, Dvorak Rudolfinum Hall (prague), the sage in gateshead, and many other amazing concert halls around the uk mainly but also a couple in europe!

i'd have never in a million years thought that i'd join a band that was ranked in the top 10 bands in the world.. (granted we're not now, but we're still really highly ranked!)

i think now, my ambitions are to qualify for the championship section finals (as much as i've been to the finals and played in RAH i haven't played with the band when they qualify), and to actually win something. even if it's muppet of the year!

If you're the drummer girl who played with YBS some months ago in Grimsby, I'm not surprised. You were sensational. Hats off!

Sue Grau

BOTBB

Moving from 4th Section to Championship Section in 4 years. Winning every section at the Albert Hall on the way. Then actuallly winning the the whole thing.
I can only think of Swinton under Dave King that has ever done this. I am not sure how many players srarted and finished this magical journey but it must have been incredible

englishgill

hmm lets see, no real championship section ambitions but there are these.....

Goals sadly still to be achieved (or more positively still to be aimed for):

- play a solo without being so trouser-flappingly nervous that a member of the audience could see the trousers flapping from the back row of the stalls
- be asked to play quieter by our MD (pleeeeeeeeeeeeease!)
- be asked to play with less vibrato by our MD (we already do a pretty good Jimmy Saville impression but seemingly that is not enough!)
- master double and triple tonguing so the feeling of dread no longer appears when you get to 'that bit' in a piece
- teach our solo horn how to flutter tongue (so I no longer have to!)

So nothing a great deal of practice wouldn't solve!

Goals achieved:
- play a sop duet with Dave Redhead (probably more fun for Dave and I than the audience - oops!)

There are probably many more but these will do for the moment!

Aidan

Really wanted a nationals but that was never to be (our bogey contest), not much chance of that one now without depping :p
That's only contest I'm missing, apart from the english nationals thingy (glorified masters).
Would have liked NW area win too.
And obv hope to win NM and SIDDIS next year over here :)
A gig in the Carnegie hall would be nice, sydney opera house was an experience (but better from the outside!)

flugelman

Mine at the minute would:-

To be competent at the old Eb bass

Play at the Albert Hall

Win a yorkshire area (any section!)- got a few seconds but no firsts

steve butler

Mine at the minute would:-

To be competent at the old Eb bass

Play at the Albert Hall

Win a yorkshire area (any section!)- got a few seconds but no firsts
You'll get there Dave, on both bass and Yorkshires I hope (although maybe not next years ;)). The Albert hall is a fantastic experience I was lucky to sample on a few occasions. Good luck mate :tup

iancwilx

You'll get there Dave, on both bass and Yorkshires I hope (although maybe not next years ;)). The Albert hall is a fantastic experience I was lucky to sample on a few occasions. Good luck mate :tup

Funny that, I was just about to say exactly the same thing - word for word !
Mr B and I seem to have lead parallel lives !!!

- Wilkie

Will the Sec

To play flugel again. (booo, cornet, booo).
To play Paganini Variations in a contest. (on flugel ;)).

That's it for now. I'm a simple sort of a gal really. :biggrin:

I've already played in RAH finals (ok it was a low section in Y2K but it still counts), and our band is going to the Europeans "B" section this year so I'm getting to do that too. Woohoo.

Surely you forgot "Playing 'The Groove' to a packed audience in the presence of the composer"?

drummergurl

If you're the drummer girl who played with YBS some months ago in Grimsby, I'm not surprised. You were sensational. Hats off!

Sue Grau

yes i did do the concert in grimsby, though you are possibly confusing me with the little blonde one who may have done a xylophone solo (helter skelter i think) in that concert, i can't quite remember. i was the other sarah, though morgan apparently did get us confused one concert, and got our surnames confused.

as for you lynchie... i'm much better at flukey shots at pool now, my best to date is potting 2 of the same colour off the break, and 2 of the same colour as the previous 2 on the next shot after i broke.