Band Uniform at Contests

Should the Women wear skirts at contests?

• Yes and they should all be the same length....it looks smarter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sparkling_quavers

Nadia said:
we're getting measured for our new uniforms TOMORROW :D:D:D:D[/b]
alright for some! :cry: our treasurer has suggested that we try approaching some local businesses/big stores for sponsorship to get some polo-neck shirts. He suggested Tescos.....I suggested Ann Summers :shock:

Aidan

how bout tryin to get a stupidly famous fashion designer to make some post-modern band uniforms :D that could be a laugh

Valvecap

Had a right nice lass in our band (senior youth band) on principal trombone... very very good player - always turned up to outdoor gigs in trousers and indoor gigs in a long black skirt - never worked out why - till i moved onto the front row.
Anyway - she performed a rather hard trombone solo at a summer concert and was obviously nervous - she stood up, played the first movement "okish" and as the tutti were playing, she moved the stand closer to the edge of the stage and changed her posture - becoming instantly more confident in her playing - this skirt was split - not just a dangerous split - right to the waist - all of a sudden, neither the band or the audience cared about the notes anymore - shame cos she blitzed the rest of the solo note perfect!!!!!
Back OT, i dont think it matters - personal preference should rule. however i do think it looks better if all the lasses wear the same - either all skirts or all trousers.

asteria

Uniforms

Nadia said:
we're getting measured for our new uniforms TOMORROW :D:D:D:D[/b]
Haha and about time you got some new uniforms! The person who was doing the measuring told me she was quite looking forward to it!

As for modern band uniforms what do people think of the YBS ones? I seem to recall it was a competition winner from Bradford uni that designed them. I think they look quite smart and think i would quite like them if it wasn't for that shade of green!!

Helen

Aidan

Re: Uniforms

Helen V said:
Haha and about time you got some new uniforms! The person who was doing the measuring told me she was quite looking forward to it!
she??? it was two blokes!! (was during the week i spose tho) hahah, you know some dodgy people helen. (yes yes.. me included.. il save you the hassle of typing it!)

Aidan

oh yeah... i like ybs' too.. very chique (cant spell..pronounced sheek ;))
i think versace or paul smith could do a better job though ;)

sparkling_quavers

Re: Uniforms

Helen V said:
As for modern band uniforms what do people think of the YBS ones? Helen
:? sorry Helen but I think they are horrible.....I like it when the bands were suits (but we have discussed this on another thread :oops: )

Libby

We all wear trousers, it's looks alot smarter, especially good for marching (have you ever tried to march in a pencil-style skirt????) We all wear ties and have walking out jackets and concert jackets and a massive lecture if you're not wearing "correct" uniform whilst out and about! :(
Plus save a fortune - not having to buy billions of pairs of tights! :D

topnote

Trousers Trousers Trousers!!!!!

After spending years in a band that was obsessed with all the women wearing exactly the same skirts, with exactly the same STRIPE down the front.
I am now pleased to be in a band where everyone wears trousers.
Its alot smarter as everyone looks the same and is a lot easier for mute juggling.

I am now of the opinion that skirts are pants! (so to speak)

sparkling_quavers

Libby said:
(have you ever tried to march in a pencil-style skirt????)
no walking is bad enough! I bought a new pencil skirt for the area! After moaning whilst walking to the bus that this was a really silly design of skirt (ranting, 'how are you possibily meant to walk in this?') someone pointed out that I hadn't undone the stitching on the split at the back of it! :oops: :shock:

HBB

Well us blokes don't have to worry about thet problem ---- just trying to find a MATCHING pair of BLACK socks!! --- that's difficult enough for me ---- U have tons of grey ones ! :lol:

trousers for me, i hate wearing skirts full stop, i only wear them whilst going out on the town!

i dont really think men are alowed to decide as to whether we wear trousers or skirts. it sould be agreed among the ladies of the band, and what length etc.

There's nothign worse than helping a band out, or playing in a band and sitting across from a woman with a really short skirt on! and thats coming from a female!

Aidan

aimee_euph said:
There's nothign worse than helping a band out, or playing in a band and sitting across from a woman with a really short skirt on! and thats coming from a female!
Thats because most males wouldnt be complaining much anyway ;)

blondie

Better have my say, it would be rude not to!!!

I seem to agree also with the majority that women should all where the same be it trousers or skirts, but i think for a formal do a skirt looks much smarter even if they are uncomfortable ue to whatever constraints have been laid down.

It would be nice if our band could afford to get marching out jackets and ties, but t-shirts are a very versatile and cheaper alternative. This was done for WJB in time for the nationals and we now tend to wear them for concerts and contests in general.

I thought these days Aidan it would be J-Lo or P. Diddy designer gear. Now that would be terrible.

Beware of The Blonde

twigglet

Wearing a skirt looks so much better because women's trousers come in all different shapes and styles.

BUT..... the mutes are a problem. Being used to quickly shoving them in between your knees in rehearsal then suddenly on stage you have nowhere to put them, a bit of a problem!

But skirts still win it for me!