Band Sponsorship

I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers about arranging band sponsorship. :D

In our local town we are possibly about to get a new large supermarket and I had this wonderful idea about asking them if they would sponsor us :idea:

What do other bands do in exhange for their sponsorship and what do they actaully get?

Any hints and tips would be appreciated so that we know where to start of.

Thanks

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
Great thread Gemma. I can see this winning the next 'tMP Best Thread' contest ....:)

What we found might work is to present a Business Case outlining the advantages of setting up a Sponsorship deal with a potential supplier. When trying to convince a business to part with their money one needs to be aware that the business will need to know how they can benefit out of the contract.

From my experience it sometimes appears that some bands simply expect that a business should part with their money just because it has been requested... :? this obvipously doesn't work.

I think the management of any band considering sponsorship need to consider first exactly what the band is willing to offer to the sponsoring company. This might very well be different for different potential sponsoring organisations so a lot of research needs to be done beforehand. Once this has been established then the business case needs to be prepared. This should show exaclty, and in as much detail as possible, how the sponsoring company will benefit in terms of publicity figures, attendance at corporate hospitality events, community good will, national/local coverage, use of media/press etc. It would also be good if the business case could show some form of reporting at the end of specified periods i.e. how many people attended events/concerts, what the potential audience figures were if media (TV/Radio) were used - businesses like that promotional/publicity information.

It should also show what the band expects to receive from such a deal. This could include instruments, music, assistance with travel etc.... - anything really associated with the costs of running of a band. As much information regarding costs - as well as income & expenditure - should be included.

In my opinion you also need a good 'front man' salesperson type to do the 'pitch'... look for the win-win situation with any potential sponsors and present a professional detailed business case in a pragmatic and well thought out manner. Make sure that whoever is doing the 'pitch' has been a part of its preparation and fully understands what is being discussed. A confident, articulate and pragmatic approach is paramount. I do understand though that this all depends upon the organisation you are approaching and the extent/scope of the sponsorship deal you are looking to clinch.

The main hurdle/difficulty of course is actually getting the opportunity to present your proposal to a potential sponsor in the first place.... but once the opportunity is 'live', then a band should do all they can to secure their 'deal of the century'....

Just some of my thoughts.....

tMP Consulting available for any bands who are looking to prepare Business Cases :lol:

Keppler

Staff member
well I'm certainly going to watch it.. We're not sponsored ourselves, but after buying 2 basses, 2 baris and 28 assored mutes of all sizes in the last week, I'm keeping my options open..

cornetgirl

At Harrogate we aren't sponsored per se but in recent years we have had a lot of support from one particular company. Sadly, our President died suddenly earlier this year and as he led that company some of that support has also gone, although we still have our bandroom.

We are currently forming a small sponsorship subcommittee to look at the possibility of getting sponsors for individual events, transport etc so we retain our name and autonomy but the financial side of things gets easier.

Any ideas are of course gratefully received! :)

Rach x

PeterBale

Staff member
cornetgirl said:
We are currently forming a small sponsorship subcommittee to look at the possibility of getting sponsors for individual events, transport etc so we retain our name and autonomy but the financial side of things gets easier.
Rach x

I haven't any first-hand experience of obtaining sponsorship for a band, but I would second what has been said about sponsorship for one-off events. It appears that a lot of companies are reluctant to enter into any major on-going commitments, but they may be willing to help out as a one-off.

From their point of view, the publicity they get is very clearly focused. If it is a particular concert that they are supporting then there is the opportunity for them to use it as a hospitality event for their own clients, and from the band's point of view, if all the up-front costs are covered by the sponsorship then any profits from the event itself will be maximised.

When we brought YBS down to Walthamstow for a concert the vast majority of the expenses were covered that way.

Dan

I used to play for a Band on the South Coast called 'Lucketts Travel Southsea Band' (formerly the Southsea Silver Band). We got our sponsership from the coach company Lucketts because the son of Mr Luckett used to play in the band!

It was great though - we used to get free coaches to contests etc in return for playing a couple of concerts a year. Used to save us a fortune! We also had their logo on our band jacket badges although I am not sure who forked out for that.

Obviously it was not that good as the band folded back in 2000! :(

geordiecolin

Apparently Dronfield used to be connected with Stagecoach buses and were often provided with a double-decker service bus for transport!! No problems with finding percussion space there!!

Do people think that it is better to approach small local businesses, or go for larger companies with large local offices.

For example, Dronfield is within 10 miles of large offices of Henderson's Relish, Trebor-Bassett, Sixt Kenning, Royal Mail, Forgemasters and Arnold Lavers but should they be approached over smaller businesses?

WhatSharp?

Dan said:
I used to play for a Band on the South Coast called 'Lucketts Travel Southsea Band' (formerly the Southsea Silver Band). We got our sponsership from the coach company Lucketts because the son of Mr Luckett used to play in the band!

It was great though - we used to get free coaches to contests etc in return for playing a couple of concerts a year. Used to save us a fortune! We also had their logo on our band jacket badges although I am not sure who forked out for that.

Obviously it was not that good as the band folded back in 2000! :(

Hi Dan, nice to see some support from the southern contingent! :D . (sorry I just went widly off topic but it's his first post Mr Moderator).

Keppler

Staff member
That's ok Steve (This time)
I'm just curious by the avatar - looks a bit like it was taken on the sea bed while hiding behind some seaweed

but what do I know...

a sort of on the topic point here, but I think i'm correct in saying The mighty Birghouse have never had sponsership, they have always been a subscription band, and have managed. Mind you they are I think still getting royalties from "The Floral Dance"

WhatSharp?

Keppler said:
That's ok Steve (This time)
I'm just curious by the avatar - looks a bit like it was taken on the sea bed while hiding behind some seaweed

but what do I know...

Does look odd doesn't it, perhaps it was someone with long hair in a high wind.

Whatever you do though DON'T and I repeat DON'T go and click on the pic of the month at the staines website...... <shudder> It's put my therepy back decades!

Dan

OK - it was the only picture I could find to put on the site, but obviously I will change it when I find something better! :oops:

You can't really see what it is as the pic is so small. But the full size version is a picture after someone wound a whole load of brown parcel tape round my head.

Drunken antcis ehh?!! :guiness Interesting theory about the seaweed though!

Can't believe some of you have seen the picture of the month on the Staines website. Not sure how the guy in the pic is gonna feel about that - ha ha!

Dan(ielle)

bigcol

Nik_The_Insane said:
Mind you they are I think still getting royalties from "The Floral Dance"

Oh that must be due a re-release/remix!

Ask Moby to do one like his version of the James Bond theme!

sparkling_quavers

WhatSharp? said:
Whatever you do though DON'T and I repeat DON'T go and click on the pic of the month at the staines website...... <shudder> It's put my therepy back decades!

Yeah I agree with that statement :hammer

LipService

WhatSharp? said:

Pah! That picture happens to be my fiance at one of his finer moments!
:shock: :shock:

I'll have you know that picture was taken by myself, the very night our daughter was conceived!! Ahhhh the power of Vodka in vast quantities! :guiness

Maybe I am just easily pleased or I have an unhealthy fetish for turquoise tanga pants!!! :dunno

LipService

Keppler said:
Back on topic please - we've suddenly gone where no man's gone before..

My apologies Keppler - maybe it was the headings under Rehearsal Room pertaining to "anything in general" and "bandroom gossip" that threw me - or perhaps that a tMP Moderator commented on the picture and kept the thread going... who knows! :dunno

super_sop

Supporting Member
What about asking local companies to sponser a banner. You could charge more for the banners at the front of the stage and less for the ones at the back. and the soloist banners could be wirth a fortune.
OHOH creative juces are flowin now, what about asking companies to supply the money to by a piece of music and when its played at a concert the name of the company is mentioned. That 50 quid for harry potter would be so hard to find then :wink: :wink:

PeterBale

Staff member
super_sop said:
What about asking local companies to sponser a banner. You could charge more for the banners at the front of the stage and less for the ones at the back. and the soloist banners could be wirth a fortune.

But what happens when the soloist messes up in front of the Managing Director of the sponsoring firm? Do they ask for their money back, or issue a disclaimer denying any knowledge of an sponsorship arrangement?

super_sop

Supporting Member
Good point, but in all honesty how often is that going to happen?
In my experience, most wouldnt put a soloist up who couldnt play the music, but admittadly mistakes do and can happen