Band Hoppers

Well the reason i'v jumped about a bit so far is because iv been involved in youth bands where i'v been brought up, going onto the senior band where they may only be a lowly 4th section and not interested in getting better.

I must admit I only intend to stay with a band who has similar ambitions as I do, wants to push towards the top of the tree and all put in the commitment. Some people will disagree with that but its what I enjoy most. You gotta do what you enjoy.

I 'd imagine most are in bands due to family/social reaons, I think you could almost split all types of players/people into groups - 1. In it to improve and play at the highest standard. 2. In it to have fun, play well but not too interested in going over the top about standard. 3. Just go along for a laugh and not bothered about any particular standard. There's nothing wrong with any of these groups - but group 1 you'd expect that person to move about quite a bit

Last edited:

Al

Not many replies from folk saying they left a band under the category 'trouble' I note.

Maybe it's best to use the euphemism of 'musical differences'.

:)

Kjata

I think that most people do have genuine reasons for leaving a band, for me it's because of travelling issues or money (the evil thing that it is)!!
Btw Al, no one would admit to leaving because of 'trouble', it sends out a bad message you see lol!! ;)

Last edited:

Mesmerist

I agree with Bones`s reasons for moving bands. His are the best ones. Speaking very honestly I`ve left each band because of going to college, moving area, offered seat in championship, not liking new MD, moving area again, needing more than one rehearsal a week, not liking what MD was doing, and lastly confidence crisis - feeling I am not good enough in spite of working hard...

Rob what has happened to your seat is not nice but to be fair to the guy coming in 3 weeks is just time enough to get a true picture of a band and decide maybe its not for you? That doesn`t mean I agree with the way its been handled though.

on_castors

I have moved a few times... it has never been for the same specific reason in each case though.

I gave up playing altogether in 1996 due to disability, then regretted it terribly - on reflection, I probably could have just about managed to keep going with the same band, let alone drop to a lower section.

When I moved home, I went to a non-contesting band, thinking that would be less hassle - it was MORE! Since then it has been VERY hard to keep playing, I moved instrument but really did not like it at all, and wanted to get back with a Tuba, even though a small instrument got around the mobility problems! In a couple of instances I have left due to lack of consideration of my disability by the bands (to be truthful, more specifically just a very few individual people!) in more recent times, that has been a big factor why I have moved on, and is definitely the reason I am not playing at all now.

Most recently, rather than relying on just popping along, and taking too much for granted, I put the emphasis onto a needy band so I offered my services locally to a band of the very lowest status and who were and still are desperately short of Bass players! It was subtly made pretty darn clear I wasn't going to suit them! The only assistance asked for? - someone to carry the instrument as far as to/from the car or take it to a venue when needed.

I am pleased - it saved me having to leave!

Thirteen Ball

So far I've only had one contesting band - which I took a (short) break from playing for earlier this year.

The only reason I've ever left a band (my first band) was that we had a disagreement about potentially starting contesting. Half the band (the younger half) wanted to do it, half the band (the older half) didn't. In the end, The nay-sayers won out, and just about everyone under 40 and over 10 left to join contesting bands.

I was one of the first out, having been offered a chair with a great band, and a great MD. Some of my closest mates are in that band now and, much as I may have had the odd fall-out with a subsequent MD, or got frustrated with the direction the band has taken, my loyalty to my friends has so far outweighed any frustrations. And the reward has been being surrounded by some brilliant people.

It'd take a lot to prise me away to another band. More than just trophies, or prestige at least.

I mean, what's that worth when you stack it up next to friendship?

So far I've only had one contesting band - which I took a (short) break from playing for earlier this year.

The only reason I've ever left a band (my first band) was that we had a disagreement about potentially starting contesting. Half the band (the younger half) wanted to do it, half the band (the older half) didn't. In the end, The nay-sayers won out, and just about everyone under 40 and over 10 left to join contesting bands.

I was one of the first out, having been offered a chair with a great band, and a great MD. Some of my closest mates are in that band now and, much as I may have had the odd fall-out with a subsequent MD, or got frustrated with the direction the band has taken, my loyalty to my friends has so far outweighed any frustrations. And the reward has been being surrounded by some brilliant people.

It'd take a lot to prise me away to another band. More than just trophies, or prestige at least.

I mean, what's that worth when you stack it up next to friendship?

If all of someones friends were in a band I'd see your point but there are pps out there who keep social life and banding (or music) seperate.
There are loads of groups of people who want different things. I personally have social and band seperate atm- like people in professional orchestras (for comparison). I'd assume that some of them keep music and a social life seperate, whats wrong with this? End argument is different things float different peoples boats... lol thats my view.

I have only ever played in three bands. I started at the Menai Bridge Band at the age of 8, who were between the 3rd and 4th sections, and stayed with them until I reached 18 and left to study at University. I then joined the Black Dyke Band, and then to my current band.

Though I felt extremely privileged to go straight from 4th section to championship, but I certainly noticed the difference, and in hindsight I may have benefited from playing in a few more bands to gain a bit more experience.

I dont necessarily think its a bad thing to move ensembles, as long as its for the right reasons :)

toptutti

I left my first two bands because they folded. When the third started to go the same way I began to think it might have been me!!!!
Luckily for them I left when I went to Uni, and illness stopped me playing shortly after that
Since starting to play again I play where needed, either as a signed player of a 'regular dep'. I'm still trying to convince myself I can still play and worthy of the seat I occupy

lynchie

I've been a full time member of 4 bands ever. Each time based on shortest distance from my front door to their band room. It's worked out quite well so far.

Laserbeam bass

Over a 21 year period I have played for three bands. I joined the first because my brother was playing there, and he suggested that I come along and help out. I gained rapid promotion from third cornet to sop in about three weeks. I left because of "Musical differences".

The second band was joined because my brother again asked me to help out Flugel with the idea of moving onto Solo Horn shortly after. This is the band where I discovered the loneliness of the BBb bass player. I left because I was bored.

I have been in my current band for the longest period so far. I took a six month sabbatical, and returned a more motivated player.
If I get bored I will leave, and pursue other hobbies, but, no doubt will get the itch again at a later date.

Bryan_sop

I've only been signed with 3 bands. First move was due to relocation and the 2nd was because I was at a wedding on the day of the 1st section, so played with another band the next day in Championship section, then went back to Where I am now. As someone that doesn't drive, my band is perfect, just a 4 mile bike ride to the bandroom :tup

AEHOWGATE

if you stay with a band long enough, it evolves around you, so there is no real reason to change, I don't mind some band hoppers, as long as they dont go calling there previous bands in a way as to justify their departure. I also think 'band hopper' needs to be defined a bit more as i know a player or two who you never know where they play as they move so often!

jockinafrock

if you stay with a band long enough, it evolves around you, so there is no real reason to change, I don't mind some band hoppers, as long as they dont go calling there previous bands in a way as to justify their departure. I also think 'band hopper' needs to be defined a bit more as i know a player or two who you never know where they play as they move so often!

I've enjoyed reading the accounts on this thread and hey! guess what? It hasn't resorted in any slanging matches/finger pointing... :clap: I suppose I used 'band hopper' because 'Why do players move around bands so much - is it because they're unreliable?' seemed inappropriate... ;) It was meant loosely and has certainly brought about a great response.

I've moved bands for a couple of reasons, mainly through relocation with being in the Army. I have, though, left a band because the numbers were dwindling and a minority of those that were left in the band were apathetic and downright miserable to play alongside. This made the prospect of going to band as appealing as having hot pins stuck in my eyes at the same time as having my fingernails and back teeth pulled out without any form of anaesthesia! I left on good terms, and didn't 'bad mouth' the band, but certainly wouldn't go back.

That said, the majority of my banding career has been a real learning curve, and I now feel I'm playing at my best and being pushed to continue doing my best. I'm loyal to my band and, even though I'd follow hubby's band Fodens anywhere, at the end of the day they're competition, and Co-op's gotta come first ( though not ususally in front of Fodens..:oops:)

Thanks for everyone's posts - would love to hear some more accounts of why folk have moved bands.

jockinafrock

Since July 5th I've played with 4 bands (7 if you count three youth groups) and counting.
Number 5 is on Saturday and I've offered to help 2 other bands out.

The joys of being a jobless student at home for the summer.

There's the difference, though - many bands need support like yours as a dep. :D It does nothing for a band's stability, though, if players come and go. Perhaps it comes down to the individual player's desire to stay with a band and develop with it, or maybe it is the band's infrastructure/politics that makes players move on. :|

JulieSanderson

I can only speak from the circumstances I've seen in bands and I think the MD is a factor in this sometimes as the "glory hoppers" seem to follow an MD round as they hop from band to band, picking off another couple of talented players then moving on. I've been replaced at a band by a "lifelong mate" of the new MD who, if the MD hadn't moved to the band, would not be there. Im equally as sure that he will "Move on" as soon as the MD does.

I think we've all seen this happen but to me it only really becomes a problem when a band committee actively pick a conductor because of his(her) entourage, to kill two birds with one stone as it were - fill empty seats plus new man in middle = (in theory) moving forward. This is fine as long as the seats are genuinely empty in the first place. What I hate to see is when long standing players are moved about to accomodate this type of player, only to be moved again when the band and conductor part company - sometimes just weeks later! In either case, it can be looked on as just storing up problems for later - ie when the conductor (plus friends) leaves. Maybe this happening has more to do with the aims of the band - does the band see winning contests as the main focus, or is it a town band which is more about a mixture of engagements with only a few contests?

Having looked at my own playing experience, I admit to two one year spells at band - but sandwiched between 5 and 7 year spells elsewhere, which improves my average!;) Reasons for moving, incidentally - studying, relocating and most recently to take the chance of playing in a higher section.

Columbo

I don't mind some band hoppers, as long as they dont go calling there previous bands in a way as to justify their departure.

I agree, some players do limit themselves to where they can play due to that attitude (I.e close the door and burn the bridge). Its also ironic how players sometimes feel it necessary to 'call' their previous band when in most cases they leave because of the way the band is run professing their love for that band, which IMHO means they care about that said band! In lots of cases it ruining relationships in banding, therefore its no surprise some bands are half empty! Damn Shame!

Last edited by a moderator: