"Band Bashing"

Status
Not open for further replies.

timpanigal

Does any other bands suffer from people apparently bad mouthing them. I recently posted that I was looking for a brass band to play with in my area. I was given lots of suggestions but one band in particular seemed to be actively disliked by lots of players.

I have links to the band in question, my father in law once played for them when they were in the championship section (which they now no longer are). I contacted the conductor about going to play with them and I mentioned how many players had actively suggested that I should not even consider the band.

He messaged me back saying that some ex players were "bad mouthing" the band on social media like this after a historical break up with an ex conductor which left a split in the band. I said that many of the people I had spoken to were not ex players, many were players who helped the band in question but now would no longer offer their support following the way they were treated by players and band officials.

Is this a common phenomenon in banding now or is it just an area thing. I told my father in law who was heartbroken at what he heard, as a long term member and supporter of the band he was upset about what had happened.

Cornetbloke

I remember your post and I believe I know the band you are talking about. I played with the band when they were in the championship section, then they lost sponsorship and almost fell apart. I returned a few years ago, as an ex player was conducting them, and they took part in the areas for the first time in many years. However, not long after the conductor left ( seemingly after the committee and a core group of players decided to oust him, so he jumped before he was pushed) and after that the band lost many players, a few stayed, some may say the wrong few, but it then took another couple of years for the band to find a full time conductor. They had a couple of temporary conductors, including Alan Widdop if I remember rightly, but none stayed. The current conductor seems unaware (or in denial) of the bands problems and reputation, and from what I know, they are still being held together by players and ex players from Otley.

I went back a few years ago to help out, they were being conducted by a teacher who has been in the band for a while, some players seemed to be loving "playing" at being a band but others looked throughly fed up with things.

It is a total shame they are where they are now, they were once an amazing band to play with.

Tom-King

It's not an isolated incident - bands having poor reputations is practically common these days...

Sometimes it's justified, sometimes its exaggerated, sometimes it's mostly unjustified (and every now and again completely unjustified).

In my experience at least, bands with bad reputations tend to be badly run... People are busy, the last thing anyone with limited time wants to do is commit time to a band where things aren't working properly, even as a dep (of course, people being busy can be the cause of organisational difficulties...).

I have no idea which band you're referring to and I'm not going to try to guess.

Sometimes these things go in cycles - players come and go, if a bunch go together then it can take a long time to get it sorted out properly... Sometimes it never does.

Earbyearl

As a regular reader of The Mouthpiece I think I'm aware of the band you are referring to, there have been a couple of threads on here about them and many people seem to be of a similar view to yourself.

I read your previous thread and used to dep for the band in question but would currently never dep for them again. They were indeed once a very good band with a fantastic reputation, however those days are no more.

When I dep'd for them, there are indeed a couple of players who seem to put their egos ahead of the band as a whole.

There were some good players, but not sue how many of them have are still there. The town in question has many great brass musicians but they tend to travel further afield to play or sadly not play at all rather than play for their town band.

Speaks volumes I would say.

Earbyearl

As a regular reader of The Mouthpiece I think I'm aware of the band you are referring to, there have been a couple of threads on here about them and many people seem to be of a similar view to yourself.

I read your previous thread and used to dep for the band in question but would currently never dep for them again. They were indeed once a very good band with a fantastic reputation, however those days are no more.

When I dep'd for them, there are indeed a couple of players who seem to put their egos ahead of the band as a whole.

There were some good players, but not sue how many of them have are still there. The town in question has many great brass musicians but they tend to travel further afield to play or sadly not play at all rather than play for their town band.

Speaks volumes I would say
I remember your post and I believe I know the band you are talking about. I played with the band when they were in the championship section, then they lost sponsorship and almost fell apart. I returned a few years ago, as an ex player was conducting them, and they took part in the areas for the first time in many years. However, not long after the conductor left ( seemingly after the committee and a core group of players decided to oust him, so he jumped before he was pushed) and after that the band lost many players, a few stayed, some may say the wrong few, but it then took another couple of years for the band to find a full time conductor. They had a couple of temporary conductors, including Alan Widdop if I remember rightly, but none stayed. The current conductor seems unaware (or in denial) of the bands problems and reputation, and from what I know, they are still being held together by players and ex players from Otley.

I went back a few years ago to help out, they were being conducted by a teacher who has been in the band for a while, some players seemed to be loving "playing" at being a band but others looked throughly fed up with things.

It is a total shame they are where they are now, they were once an amazing band to play with.
Alan did conduct them for a short period, but soon returned to Marsden.

2nd tenor

From time to time someone airs a grievance on here but I’ve yet to see a long term member doing so ... I’m not sure whether such complaints are a cultural or regional thing but IIRC they have been associated with one particular large County in Northern England. I used to live in that particular County and found both some lovely people there and some who appeared to be insular, mean, obstinate and vocal - I haven’t returned for years but IMHO the later group spoil what is, with some industrialised exceptions, a beautiful place.

Over the years I’ve been a member of quite a few bands, some (the bulk) I would happily play for again and some that just weren’t right for me. What’s to be gained from public criticism of the ones that just weren’t right for me? IMHO nothing much is the answer and an answer that’s right for nearly everyone else too. One might be genuinely warning others against joining a band - perhaps that should be done in private discussion instead - or just gaining some personal pleasure in attacking someone else. Acts of spite are to be discouraged and harbouring grievances against others is a sure way to blight your own life so it’s best to move on and get on with your own life - keep some memory of events (to protect you from painful repetition) but as far as is possible actively remove the blight from your life.

Threads that knock some person or Band must present our Mod’s with unwelcome challenges. It would be best not to unnecessarily load them with such things.

Last edited:

Earbyearl

From time to time someone airs a grievance on here but I’ve yet to see a long term member doing so ... I’m not sure whether such complaints are a cultural or regional thing but IIRC they have been associated with one particular large County in Northern England. I used to live in that particular County and found both some lovely people there and some who appeared to be insular, mean, obstinate and vocal - I haven’t returned for years but IMHO the later group spoil what is, with some industrialised exceptions, a beautiful place.

Over the years I’ve been a member of quite a few bands, some (the bulk) I would happily play for again and some that just weren’t right for me. What’s to be gained from public criticism of the ones that just weren’t right for me? IMHO nothing much is the answer and an answer that’s right for nearly everyone else too. One might be genuinely warning others against joining a band - perhaps that should be done in private discussion instead - or just gaining some personal pleasure in attacking someone else. Acts of spite are to be discouraged and harbouring grievances against others is a sure way to blight your own life so it’s best to move on and get on with your own life - keep some memory of events (to protect you from painful repetition) but as far as is possible actively remove the blight from your life.

Threads that knock some person or Band must present our Mod’s with unwelcome challenges. It would be best not to unnecessarily load them with such things.
There are lots of warnings out there about this group.

MissBraz

Cant agree more with your comments 2nd tenor !!
No long term member has.... Certainly makes me question the new members prerogative when their comments are just fully negative :rolleyes:

Earbyearl

Cant agree more with your comments 2nd tenor !!
No long term member has.... Certainly makes me question the new members prerogative when their comments are just fully negative :rolleyes:
The original poster ask a perfectly acceptable question, as a player from that area I have seen many local bands struggle and fold.

The comments that followed are honest not negative, they answered the original post question. I know the band concerned as I used to guest with them and there current chairman is also the chairman of my current band.

There are many musicians my local area who are saddened by the way a small group of people seem to be entrenching themselves in all local bands and for want of a better word taking over.

This is a problem in many areas I know, not just this one, but I personally find it hard to see how you can be an fully active member of numerous bands and give each one 100%, which is what’s happening in our area. There are many seasoned, veteran players who have given up banding because of this and that is very, very sad.

MissBraz

It's just very funny that on the other post where you were being negative about said band, so was a couple of other 'new members' that funnily enough have not posted since one. Meh not my issue or area to get involved in, you guys carry on.
If seasoned and veteran players are giving up banding because of it that is sad, however they have the experience to use and share their views on the issue? Or even just be loyal to one band. I don't understand why they would just quit. But that's just my humble view.
Hope things in your area sorts themselves out...…...

Mello

A sad situation indeed..I have no idea of who is the 'said' band are .Which - if I were in the area would make me wary of all bands in that area.
Also there seems to be an acceptance by some ...and ignorance by others as to if in fact there are any problems..
May I suggest that problems denied or kept under raps will sooner or later erupt or boil over.
Why not say straight out Who the band ('s ) areally & what the problem are. Surely it's easier to heal a wound if one can see it ...than if the wound is bubbling away under the surface.

Keeping it hidden coupled with rumours can be a deadly combination.Get it out in the open .and give folk a chance to make things better.

Atheana

This band unfortunately suffer from repeated attempts to bad mouth it and victimise the remaining players. They are at heart a bunch of people who only want to get together for the music and make people happy. After all isn't that why we all play? There are a committed core of people who seem intent on destroying it. Let new players make up their own minds, like real adults. I'm sure if they're sensible people they will realise that there are a lot of sour grapes out there who for what ever the reason seem intent on destroying grass roots banding. This bad mouthing has actually affected the mental heath of some of the players. Grow the Frog up. Get an actual life and stop harassing people.

2nd tenor

A sad situation indeed..I have no idea of who is the 'said' band are .Which - if I were in the area would make me wary of all bands in that area.
Also there seems to be an acceptance by some ...and ignorance by others as to if in fact there are any problems..
May I suggest that problems denied or kept under raps will sooner or later erupt or boil over.
Why not say straight out Who the band ('s ) areally & what the problem are. Surely it's easier to heal a wound if one can see it ...than if the wound is bubbling away under the surface.

Keeping it hidden coupled with rumours can be a deadly combination.Get it out in the open .and give folk a chance to make things better.
I see where you are coming from and in normal circumstances your suggested course of action might work for some groups. Personally I think that it’s a completely private matter with some malcontents just wanting to make bother for other people. It would be best if this thread was now locked, such tittle tackle does nothing positive for tmp and this forum should not be enabling trolling in any form.

Indeed some people do need to Grow the F... up, get an actual life of their own and stop harassing people. Did I mention that there were some really nice people in that part of the world, but there aren’t half some ‘Richard Craniums’ as well.

Last edited:

Atheana

I also this is not a coincidence that these latest attempts on social media to destroy the band (and there have been numerous attempts probably by the same sad individuals) comes just before a concert of theirs. The band have grown significantly in the last 18 months under the stable leadership of a very talented young conductor. I've personally never had an issue with them when depping for them and they're very friendly.

Atheana

It's just very funny that on the other post where you were being negative about said band, so was a couple of other 'new members' that funnily enough have not posted since one. Meh not my issue or area to get involved in, you guys carry on.
If seasoned and veteran players are giving up banding because of it that is sad, however they have the experience to use and share their views on the issue? Or even just be loyal to one band. I don't understand why they would just quit. But that's just my humble view.
Hope things in your area sorts themselves out...…...
In this case there were other reasons for some players giving up banding, nothing to do with the band but family matters. In fact the band have seen many former players returning to them!

Atheana

The original poster ask a perfectly acceptable question, as a player from that area I have seen many local bands struggle and fold.

The comments that followed are honest not negative, they answered the original post question. I know the band concerned as I used to guest with them and there current chairman is also the chairman of my current band.

There are many musicians my local area who are saddened by the way a small group of people seem to be entrenching themselves in all local bands and for want of a better word taking over.

This is a problem in many areas I know, not just this one, but I personally find it hard to see how you can be an fully active member of numerous bands and give each one 100%, which is what’s happening in our area. There are many seasoned, veteran players who have given up banding because of this and that is very, very sad.
Except ALL of your posts since 2017 are intent on bashing this band so you seem to have a vendetta against them for personal reasons.

Atheana

Does any other bands suffer from people apparently bad mouthing them. I recently posted that I was looking for a brass band to play with in my area. I was given lots of suggestions but one band in particular seemed to be actively disliked by lots of players.

I have links to the band in question, my father in law once played for them when they were in the championship section (which they now no longer are). I contacted the conductor about going to play with them and I mentioned how many players had actively suggested that I should not even consider the band.

He messaged me back saying that some ex players were "bad mouthing" the band on social media like this after a historical break up with an ex conductor which left a split in the band. I said that many of the people I had spoken to were not ex players, many were players who helped the band in question but now would no longer offer their support following the way they were treated by players and band officials.

Is this a common phenomenon in banding now or is it just an area thing. I told my father in law who was heartbroken at what he heard, as a long term member and supporter of the band he was upset about what had happened.
Don't listen to them, make your own mind up.

Atheana

That does of course make the assumption that it was a genuine post, something I’m no longer sure of ...
I honestly think that it is one or two people intent on harm who use new pseudonyms to rehash the same bad mouthing, it's the same story everytime, the same issues raised and even the same phrases used. It's got to be the same person/people.

Last edited:

2nd tenor

I also this is not a coincidence that these latest attempts on social media to destroy the band (and there have been numerous attempts probably by the same sad individuals) comes just before a concert of theirs. The band have grown significantly in the last 18 months under the stable leadership of a very talented young conductor. I've personally never had an issue with them when depping for them and they're very friendly.
Good luck to then I say, and shame on those who have no better wish than to publicly bad mouth other bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.