Bach 42 Tenor trom (straight)

spiffy

A number of years ago, in my early youthful playing days I was given a lacquered Bach 42 Tenor trombone (straight) by a family member. I now don't these days play it too often, generally sticking to my Conn 88H. However, I recently used it and looked to find out a bit more about it. I can find quite a bit of information about the 42B (the triggered version) but not too much about the 42. I wondered whether anyone on here might be able to help - in particular what kind of value it might have?

Vegasbound

First to say 42's have never really been that popular here in the UK, hence why Bach don't even try to sell here now

Value depends on age and condition is it a gold bell or yellow, have seen them sell anywhere from £400 to 695 maybe a bit more depends how fast you want to sel it

JimboFB

I used to have a straight 42 a few years back. Lovely little instrument. Didn’t really appreciate it until it got destroyed in aeroplane transit. I then changed to my much loved knackered old 42b which is still probably my favourite hooter. I now play on a shires and and 88h at work and still can’t find anything that plays like my 42b. No idea why they’re not as popular as Conn tho? Reckon about £500 but I’d be reluctant to sell!!!

Jack E

@Vegasbound - Bach may not be putting much effort into selling 42s here, but they are still available new. A quick internet search found that Dawkes Music offer both the 42 and the 42B as "not in stock, but available to order usually within 3 - 5 days."

MTA
Currently, E-bay are showing two 42s and a 42B for sale, with the 42s at £895 and the 42B at £1990.

Last edited:

Vegasbound

@Jack E the fact they don't carry them in stock proves my point about demand

Please don't misunderstand my comments a good Bach is a great horn, but they have as I said never really usurped the 88h, the big sales came when Denis switched to a 42 in 1978

Also those on eBay have been there a long time, it's not what the price people advertise at its the price they sell for

Vegasbound

But if there was NO demand, neither Dawkes nor Thomann nor Gear for Music nor John Packer would be offering them at all, would they?
They offer them because they are Bach dealers, but don't carry them in stock,

Not sure Jack if you are a bone player, or read any of the trombone chat rooms but among many younger players/parents with the emergence of boutique horns such as Shires, Rath, Edwards etc. 42's and 88's are being considered as step up or intermediate horns

Jack E

And I repeat that if there was NO demand, they wouldn't offer 42s and 42Bs AT ALL, would they? And what's wrong with intermediate trombones, anyway?
But I think we're talking at cross-purposes, here, and well off-topic, so I'm calling it a day on this one.