Aylesbury contest

Maestro

MartinT said:
I'm hearing that this may have been cancelled - can anyone confirm, please?

Martin Taylor
Chairman, ODBBA

When did you hear this Martin?
We have entered for it, but we didn't hear that it was cancelled on Moday at rehearsal.

MartinT

Info received from one of the adjudicators, who is Wantage's MD - so I suppose I can now confirm this, at least at second hand. Evidently a meeting on Sunday decided this.

Sorry to hear of this cancellation, though such situations are not unfamiliar to ODBBA as well! If anyone's interested, the Oxford Winter Contest is scheduled for Feb 15th (see separate thread).

Martin Taylor
Chairman, ODBBA

I can confirm that this contest has been cancelled due to lack of entries.
Robin Allen secretary of Bucks Association is contacting all bands this week. Any queries contact him on 01908 616463.

Brian Keech

supersplit

I've been to Aylesbury contest quite a few times and it was always at the beginning of December. When did it move to January/February? Years ago that was the time of the old Lewisham contest! Oh, good times! :guiness

WhatSharp?

For some unknown reason they moved it this year. Shame cause we were looking forward to it, however since they moved it we decided not to do it cause its too close to the nationals.

Chunky

It was moved from November / December due to the venue not being available on the date that was originally chosen.

We had entered for November / December but due to the cancellation went to Leicester instead and had a great day out.

When we were advised of the postponement we were asked if we would like details of the re-arranged date, we said that we would like them. To the best of my knowledge we never received them and are heading for Milton Keynes instead! This might explain the low enteries, if other bands never received the revised info.

Cornishwomble

WhatSharp? said:
For some unknown reason they moved it this year. Shame cause we were looking forward to it, however since they moved it we decided not to do it cause its too close to the nationals.

We were told that it was cancelled bacause the hall was double-booked

Madtuba

I have only recently been told of this message board so I'm sorry if some of you have been missinformed or felt kept in the dark. The situation with the contest and the reason for the change of date was well documented in the band press last year. the hall was indeed double booked, neccessitating a cancellation or change of date.
unfortunately after sending out over 60 entry forms i have had agrand total of 11 entries. The closing date was 10th jan and it was decided at a meeting on the 11th to cancel the contest. Bands were contacted on the 12th where possible or as soon as the person on the entry form could be reached.
Every effort was made to reach band's, however some of you have not updated your secretary's details in the federation handbook for several years and at least one gentleman in norfolk was very upset to have what he considered junk mail through his letter box. band websites are a help but there are not always contact details on them! and in one case the website was completely blank!
I hope to be able to make an announcement about the next contest soon although if there is not enough support particularly from bands in membership of the assoc the future may be bleak. If you would like to contact me my Phone no is 01908 616463 or Email rallen2@tiscali.co.uk

Robin Allen B&D.B.B.A Sec