Award Nights???

Despot

Hi,

Do many bands hold award nights? I train a lot of kids, including a youth band, and it's been suggested as a great incentive. Has anyone any suggestions for catagories, prizes and what to do when attacked by the proud parents of the losers? :D

Thxs!

drummergurl

erm at youth band we have a few awards that are given out at a concert. the ones i can remember are the directors award (given to someone in the band who the director feels deserves it coz they do loads and loads for the band in rehearsals concerts woteva and they give more than is required) most improved player i think, attendance, thats all i can think of.

sparkling_quavers

most of the bands I have played with have awards. These normally consisted of a couple of formal awards ie. 'most improved player' (chosen by the MD) 'bandsperson of the year' (Chosen by the vote) and then some silly ones (seem to recall being rather annoyed to lose my 'most inebriated bandperson' status to geordiecolin one year!) The formal ones are normally presented at the xmas concert and the informal at the xmas social. I think it is a nice idea to present the official awards formally at a concert with a good audience rather than an awards evening. As your band has a lot of youngsters you could have 'most improved cornet player' 'most improved euph/bari etc' or maybe do it on age 'most improved player 8-10 years' ' 11-13' etc etc

dyl

At our Annual Concert last night, the following awards were presented:

R. John Childs Memorial Shield (for services to the band in the previous yesr) - Mr. Wynne Williams, our MD
Player of the Year: Hefin G. Jones
Most Improved Player of the Year - Elin Morris
Mr. & Mrs. O. H. Jones Memorial Shield - Liam

Last night was a special occassion, as we were also awarding our Secretary, Mr. Meirion Jones, and our Treasurer, Mr. Hefin G. Jones, with some gifts to thank them for 30 years service as Sec & Treas. A fantastic achievement we think, giving so much time to a small voluntary organisation.

Personally, I think these awards are an excellent idea - yes, it gives people something to work towards, but they also give us a chance to show our gratitude and appreciation to those who receive them. A couple of our awards as you can see have been donated in memory of people very close to our hearts, making these awards extra special.

My band has awards like that. we also have a internal blow and awards are given out for the categories such as Junion solo etc.

we also have stupid awards like the Myppet award for the biggest muppet (the trophie is a muppet) and a spanner award!

Will the Sec

With the advent off PCs, why not come up with a snazzy certificate for various stages of competence?

"Look what I got, Mum/Dad!"

Owen

We have two awards - Player of the Year, awarded by the MD and Players Player of the Year, voted for by the playing members of the band. Only on one occasion has the same person won both awards....

2nd man down

Staff member
All my previous bands have had some sort of award system but we don't have one at Emley...yet. I'm in the process of trying to set something up.
I think it's a good idea, especially if you have something to keep younger more easily distracted members interested.

akwarose

we have bandsman of the year (voted for by the band), young bandsman of the year (chosen by the MD i think), chairmans trophy (chosen not surprisingly by the chairman) and the keith clements shield (chosen by the MD, can be anyone from players to the supporters club, junior members etc) all given out at our concert in april (which we had last nite)

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
We have awards for Bandsperson of the year (note the politically correctness!), voted by the band, most improved player, nominated by the MD, best attendance, which is sorted out by the bandmaster and any other "appropriate" awards. The awards are presented at the annual band dinner. I think that's a good place to award them, our band dinner is a slightly, but not too formal event with all of the committee present (including el presidente!).

BTW the trophy for "bandsperson of the year" is the Charles and Edward Moore memorial cup which is a flippin' great big rose bowl. It used to be the cup for the old Leicester Contest top section - I wonder if any tMPers have won it in the past :?:

Well Worth It

Hepworth have a rather extensive list of awards, given out around New Year.
Although I didn't attend the ceremony, (I was linked by Sat-phone) to pick up the highly covetted award for being "The Most P##### at Pontins 2003".

I'd just like to thank Jack, Stella, and my close friend Jim Bean, for without them, this award would not have been possible.

lynchie

We had plans for these at Flixton to be sorted out at New Year... unfortunately everything went a bit hectic around then, but maybe next year...

We used to have them at my old Youth Band, best bandsperson, most improved player, and best attendance. I won most improved player one year, which I'm sure will make some people wonder what I played like before!

AJSOP

we have our annual dinner and dance each december. Awards such as player of the year and most enthusiastic player are presented at the event.

geordiecolin

sparkling_quavers said:
most of the bands I have played with have awards. These normally consisted of a couple of formal awards ie. 'most improved player' (chosen by the MD) 'bandsperson of the year' (Chosen by the vote) and then some silly ones (seem to recall being rather annoyed to lose my 'most inebriated bandperson' status to geordiecolin one year!) The formal ones are normally presented at the xmas concert and the informal at the xmas social. I think it is a nice idea to present the official awards formally at a concert with a good audience rather than an awards evening. As your band has a lot of youngsters you could have 'most improved cornet player' 'most improved euph/bari etc' or maybe do it on age 'most improved player 8-10 years' ' 11-13' etc etc

Heheheh.... Not sure which i'm prouder of "Most Inebriated Band Member Award" or the "Exel (sic) Logistics Cup for Most Improved Player" I won the subsequent year :lol: :lol:

(I won Most Inebriated Band Member after playing a gig absolutely slaughtered... had drunk the best part of a crate or Reef in about 40mins flat during the day. When my lift came to pick me up I was asleep on my bed and still mullered, i think that perhaps the band socials might have had something to do with it too.... 15 pint pub crawls down West St.. those were the days...)

Dave Payn

Will the Sec said:
With the advent off PCs, why not come up with a snazzy certificate for various stages of competence?

"Look what I got, Mum/Dad!"

How often does the prizewinner get a mum and a dad???? ;-)

Indeed, it's something Fulham started this year, awarded at the band's AGM. We have two awards; player of the year and most improved player of the year.

Jo Elson

We have awards every year at our christmas concert for most progress made by a young player in the senior band and bandsman of th year and then there are awards for the junior band too. We also make our own awards ceremony at the bands dinner in november which awards all stupid incidents and embarrassing moments from during the year. unfortunately Bagpuss is the award co-ordinator so you are never safe!!!

bagpuss

Jo Elson said:
We also make our own awards ceremony at the bands dinner in november which awards all stupid incidents and embarrassing moments from during the year. unfortunately Bagpuss is the award co-ordinator so you are never safe!!!

You got that right!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

We make various awards in the 'unofficial bit', from the loud shirt award (take a bow super_sop) to the a*** of the year award presented to our illustrious leader Mr. Thorne last time for making an absolute hash of 'The Little Mermaid' on stage at a concert!!! It is however quite true that no-one is safe. Even music man got an award last time he came over!!!! Myself and my colleagues on the 'unofficial' awards committee have both very long memories and many contacts!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Puss