Audition Suggestions

DocFox

I am auditioning for an open Baritone spot in the River Brass Band (US). I do not think I have any real competition, BUT, I want to put my best foot forward.

Does anyone have a baritone/euphonium or even trombone (I read both treble clef and bass clef just fine) that is reasonably short they might recommend to me? The committee wants something that has a brass band feel (not exactly sure what they meant by that).

Most auditions I have done through the years I have played a selection from the book "Melodious Melodies" which I recommend to everyone to practice from. But does anyone have any suggestions for something that might be a bit less melodious and a little more march like?

Thanks,

Jim

DocFox

In my heyday, I was probably Black Dyke standard (in graduate school) but at 58 I am auditioning for a 3rd Division US Band. She played that magnificently, but it was very melodic. With a week or two of practice I could play that solo, but certainly not at the level!

I still am in a quandary. What would be less melodic and maybe more march like? I have almost decided to put together a Karl King or Sousa march and play the march parts and the trio as the melody. It would show range, change of style, change of key and articulation. They want me to play some scales, but I practice them all the time so that should be no problem unless it gets to Gb major or so and then I might have to think a bit.
Just as a question, I do like that solo! Where might I get it?

Thanks,
Jim

cjwood555

I'm not sure who publishes it - try just music or studio music perhaps?

Brass band style isn't really a valid concept - we play such a diverse range of music! How about picking bits from Fire In The Blood (e.g cornet part at the start, euph solo in the middle, back row melody or front row decorations from the end)

DocFox

Slaidburn would require having the score and mixing parts. I asked the committee what they wanted to hear from me. I gave some suggestions. Hopefully, I will not have to work up something new as they want me next Monday! Actually, I like the idea of Fire in the Blood, but time seems short.

DocFox

Wow. I doubt I could play half those pieces in 4 days. You can forget "Carnival of Venice" (I could play that when I was 19) or "Harlequin". I could probably play "Jeannie with Light Brown Hair" or "Softly As I leave You" but 4 days time is short. I was practicing just now (it is 6PM here) and my upper register just gave out. I guess two a days is probably a bit much.

I think it will come down to three pieces.

Aces of the Air by Karl King
Melodious Etude #3
I Don't Know How to Love Him (Webber)

Luckily for me, the committee has heard me play as many of them play with me in our local Community Symphonic Band. I am not trying out for Grimethrope. A 3rd Division US Band I should be able to get by with without having "Carnival of Venice" in my back pocket. Of course, who knows what they will ask me to sight read.

If I had more time, I thought about "American Patrol."

Last edited:

2nd tenor

Wow. I doubt I could play half those pieces in 4 days. You can forget "Carnival of Venice" (I could play that when I was 19) or "Harlequin". I could probably play "Jeannie with Light Brown Hair" or "Softly As I leave You" but 4 days time is short. I was practicing just now (it is 6PM here) and my upper register just gave out. I guess two a days is probably a bit much.

I couldn't dream of touching them either, well not in anywhere near their entirety but they are a target to aim for and a route to improving skills through challenge - you could demonstrate the easier variations in some of the pieces. If the Committee are looking for things with a classic 'Brass Band ' feel then parts/melody lines from the book of 20 Famous Marches would surely have the correct pedigree and there are loads of on-line videos of those pieces so you can hear what they should sound like. An alternative attempt to understand what the committee are looking for would be to look at the Bands's recent performance programmes and then pick pieces off of them that come from the British Brass Band tradition. That would match the skill level and demonstrate being able to fit in with the band.

Good luck with the audition. Set out to enjoy the experience and should you not get the seat this time then keep in touch with the band anyway, work at what they play and are looking for - even join in the occasional rehearsal if they will allow it - and no doubt you'll be invited to join at some latter date.

All the best, 2T.

Last edited:

DocFox

Good luck with the audition. Set out to enjoy the experience and should you not get the seat this time then keep in touch with the band anyway, work at what they play and are looking for - even join in the occasional rehearsal if they will allow it - and no doubt you'll be invited to join at some latter date.

This is the only band within 350 miles of me. I am 58 and not sure how many good years are left in the ole embouchure. But thanks for you help and encouragement.

Jim

2nd tenor

I am 58 and not sure how many good years are left in the ole embouchure.
Jim

Only a youngster then. Over here, in the UK, it is not at all unusual to meet good players (in well thought of Contesting Bands) who are in their 70's. I know many players in community bands who play happily into their 80's and sometimes on the biggest instruments too, indeed only the 'Grim Reaper' stops some Bandsmen from playing.

Go for it! And, when maybe you're not quite as quick and able as you once were, get the band to start a second group for the 'golden oldies' to enjoy playing in and those learning to have support in.

Euphman2

Only a youngster then. Over here, in the UK, it is not at all unusual to meet good players (in well thought of Contesting Bands) who are in their 70's. I know many players in community bands who play happily into their 80's and sometimes on the biggest instruments too, indeed only the 'Grim Reaper' stops some Bandsmen from playing.

Go for it! And, when maybe you're not quite as quick and able as you once were, get the band to start a second group for the 'golden oldies' to enjoy playing in and those learning to have support in.
Check out 'The oldest brass band in the world?" on bandroom news about old players which is now 18 months old so add on 12 months and more

nethers

At the recent NZ championships the winner of the C grade sent their horn player up to fetch the trophy... 97 years young!

2nd tenor

Check out 'The oldest brass band in the world?" on bandroom news about old players which is now 18 months old so add on 12 months and more

I guess that this is the article: The oldest brass band in the world...

The average age of members is 74 and you have to be over 50 to join.

Kind of reminds me, happily, of the UK TV show 'Last of the Summer Wine' (Comedy about retired old blokes getting on with being active and enjoying the simple pleasures of life).

Guess I've kind of inadvertently diverted the thread, sorry.

Good luck with the audition (today?), you wouldn't be having one if you weren't thought likely to do well in it so be pleased for that.

Audition suggestion. An audition might or might not be a formality or particularly competitive. Perhaps the band has a policy of auditioning everyone so it can: choose which player to appoint to a particular principal chair; check prospective players for suitable ability and then both welcome demonstrably good ones to the band and find a seat for him or her; justifiably turn away a weaker player seeking to join until some later change and successful re-audition.

Last edited: