Audio Files for Internet

What is the best audio format to use on my website?

• .mp4 (can everyone use this?)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cornetto

I'm trying to get some audio files sorted for my website, what is the best format to get them into, bearing in mind I have a slow connection and takes ages to upload big files? Please vote.
Try the ones ive done on my website as .wma, they're class!! Ta, Nick

Keppler

Staff member
Would recommend mp3 for compatability reasons. wma, though good, requires a windows platform to run, and that's not going to please everyone.

mp3 is across the board, and the most popular. Most people know what they are. Also you can tweak your bit rates to squeeze the file size. 128kbps will give you excellent reproduction right up to the high end of the spectrum.. if you can stand a little loss in quality toward the high end, then 96 will be adequate -

Incidentally, for personal mp3 players on headphones, you can usually get away with 64, allowing you to pack them in there!

Yeah stick with MP3 , wma cause hassle for people as some will need valid certificates to play your files (not everyone).
MP4 never really took off and theres not a lot of difference.

But OGG Vorbis is becoming quite popular, tis smaller and better than mp3 but not widely available yet and most people would not have a clue anyway.

But if you have a slow connection real player maybe more in your league.

Bearing in mind that 99% of users will be using a windows based platform and with the vast availability of conversion utilities I wouldnt worry about what you really choose.

Fishsta

Agree with all that is said here. If you're offering MP3s, try converting to several bitrates, or even VBR format, and find a trade-off between quality and size. You might want to consider a low-bandwidth download and a broadband download. How long a file are we talking?

If a few seconds, you can afford to keep quality high, although a good conversion utility can give crisp and clear sound at rates as low as 48Kbps for larger files. Musicmatch Jukebox uses an excellent converter for just this kind of compression. Failing that, Audacity is an excellent little utility for mixing and converting MP3s of all bitrates, all you need is the "Lame" codec.

Searching for any of these on Yahoo will turn up pages and pages of information on all of these programs and ideas!

Hope this helps!

bladder

Naruco said:
do you realise that OGGY means PASTY?!?!?!?! lol!

Yeah! Of course, but I couldn't eat three!! Besides, PASTY VORBIS, doesn't quite have the technical ring to it, however it could be the procedure used to 'cram' as many oggies as possible into a lunch-box. Now that's what I call compression!! :wink: