Arranging

froggy

I am a music student (only at GCSE level) and an aspiring arranger.

I would be interesting in arranging music for someone, something quite short.

The only cost would be to give me some feedback.

I will do the first that is viable and catches my eye, but don't hold your breath - it may take a while.

HBB

Edited: Unnecessary use of the Quote button again Ben! What does Bandwidth equal? (RT)

hey froggo!!!

I'm doing GCSE music too, isn't it just a drag sometimes???

I like arranging too ----- but becareful about the © Copyright © issue - I'm sure Roger will inform you! :D:D:D:D

Try to go for composers that have been dead for 75 years!!! ------- then its public domain! :D

Ben ;)

froggy

yeah... i was going to go for someone well and truly dead.....

me myself, i quite like music GCSE, except for the dance music section!

At the mo, im writing a cool jazz piece for piano and trombone..

HBB

:oops: :oops: :oops: Sorry RT, Like maths, sometimes it goews in one ear & out t'other!!!!

Sorry,

Do you have cubase at your school Froggo-----dance is sooo mcuhb better with it!!

;) Ben ;)

stephen2001

I was advised at school, not to do arranging as part of the composition module.
As far as the examiner can tell, you could have easily transcribed it off a score and in effect, isn't actually 'composing'.

Ask your teacher about it first and see what advice they give. It depends on the exam board as well.

Sorry to stick a spanner in your plans froggy, but it is better to check 1st and there's nothing stopping you from doing it in your spare time.

Cheers

Aidan

stephen2001 said:
I was advised at school, not to do arranging as part of the composition module.
I did arranging for part of my A-level composition module, as long as you submit a copy of the original source to prove you havnt just transcribed, it should be ok. Arranging shouldnt just be about copying notes from one stave to another anyway, try and make it your own piece by changing rhythms and harmonies.

HBB

You sound just like Goff Richards, Aiden!!!!

We had a SCABA workshop with him and he said just that about arranging ----- add harmonies, mutes, colour, rhythms, gosh ..... that brings back memories! :D:D:D

I'm not even going to venture out into arranging for mine - to much hastle, good old original composing for me!! :D:D:D 8)

Ben ;)

and not a quote in sight :p

HBB

We've landed on the subject of cheesy music again!!!!!!! Why??????

Never Mind ...... I'm sure they're not AIden ........ mine are cheesy too! :D WHat've you done then?

Cheers.

Ben ;)

Aidan

most of mine are for my quintet, i dont do that much for band (cos i dont like doubling parts, and writing 27 different parts for the same harmony is quite hard ;))
quite a bit of film/tv music, some classics, and some comedy pieces.
Even managed to get a cheesy fanfare arrangement onto the bbc news when we opened picadilly station :D

froggy

No, I ve been misunderstood..

..Im not arranging for my GCSE, I would like to do some.

I have done some for my band, and would like to do some more, but get some feedback so I can improve.

bigcol

Arranging is tricky - mainly because you need to hear your end results, before you learn what is good and what isn't. And you need a kind band to help you there!

Many a score can look good on paper, but not work in the bandroom.

Just look at Prague...

(Honest - last dig before the nationals!)

Colin.

froggy

I think what I'll do is arrange Danny Boy, then whoever wants it can have it, and hopefully I'll get some feedback.

Danny Boy isn't copyrighted is it?..

Keppler

Staff member
nope.. been around for ages..

I know that that the air was printed in a volume of Irish Airs collected by George Petrie and published in Dublin in 1855

how's that for trivia?..

HBB

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Erm ......... you haven't seen her ----- I hate her like mad, and I was using the computers at school, do you know how hard they are to use? I think it'd be easier to chisel it into stone :D:D:D

Ben ;)