Area Testpieces 2004 - any ideas?

Andy_Euph

Just looking through some of the topics about previous area testpieces I was wondering whether anybody has heard rumours as to what the area pieces might be next year?

Seeing as there was so much hassle over Prague I wonder whether it will be back to the trusted Sparke, Graham etc for the top section - or maybe the panel who choose the pieces will revive a "Golden Oldie", who knows :!: :D

JohnnyEuph

I wouldn't be suprised if it was instant concert for the top section (It is harder than Prague isn't it!)

[/list]

WhatSharp?

Ok hows about :

An oldie but goodie for Champ section (balances out from Plague)
An old Championship piece for 1st
The usual dire tripe for 2nd (In the last 4 years we have had : Celestial Prospect which some people liked, Symphony For Brass Band which was just plain rubbish, Sword, Jewel & Mirror... ) I don't think the selection board seem to know what to do with second section Sometimes the second section piece is easier than the THIRD!, Cmon guys give us something to get our teeth into!

Sparky for the 3rd
Similar for the 4th

(Rhapsody for Brass due for a comeback?)

JohnnyEuph

.... instant concert's old... so is hootenanny!!

Wouldnt mind Harmony music tho..... Probably won't happen tho!

MoominDave

JohnnyEuph said:
Wouldnt mind Harmony music tho..... Probably won't happen tho!

I would! A bit of meat for Bass Trom would be nice - it's no fun rehearsing a piece for weeks where everybody has got nightmare parts but you.
Also, Philip Sparke's stuff doesn't tend to rehearse well - the patterns to it are generally all on the surface or not far below, meaning that after a week or so, all that's required is note-bashing. Compare this with Philip Wilby's output, which is often so heavily and unexpectedly patterned that new thoughts are still occurring to you on contest day...

Dave

PeterBale

Staff member
floral_dance said:
Have pre-ordered the Regionals 2004 CD from 4 Bars Rest, due to come out second week in September I think.

If they want plenty of sales, they should have it out for the finals in Dundee and the Open in Birmingham.

WorldofBrass.com

Regionals 2004

PeterBale said:
If they want plenty of sales, they should have it out for the finals in Dundee and the Open in Birmingham.

The Regionals 2004 CD will be released, as usual, on our Doyen label.
The very first opportunity to get one into your hands will be from the World of Brass trade stand at the Lower Section National Finals in Dundee on 20th & 21st September.
(I understand that the Regionals 2004 test pieces are announced at that event.)
4BarsRest have their pre-order facility for this CD up and running now.

markyboy

Every year about this time rumours start going round but they are usually 'red herrings'. over the last few years everybody has sworn blind that Masquerade was going to be the top section piece but it never happened.
If Harmony music is the hot fave now, I'll bet its not the correct piece when the official announcement is made.
By the way JonnyEuph if Prague was so easy, how come we could only manage 12th?!?

johnflugel

There were a few rumours circulating at the start of the year that the 2003 Area test 'Prague' was going to be withdrawn and replaced by 'English Heritage'.

Did anyone else hear this? It is possible that the piece maybe used this time....it has not been used for some time.

John
Rothwell Temps