Area Test Pieces 2004 - ANNOUNCED!

Roger Thorne

Many thanks to Moira Ross for doing some serious tMP detective work in the highlands and finding out the Area Test Pieces for 2004.

We look forward to your comments with interest.

Championship - Tristan Encounters - Martin Elerby

1st Section - Coventry Variations - Bramwell Tovey

2nd Section - Kaleidoscope - Philip Sparke

3rd Section - Vizcaya - Gilbert Vinter

4th Section - Partita - Edward Gregson

:wink:

DRG

It's a set of variations on Coventry Carol, only just over 8mins long though, bit of a short test really.

Darth_Tuba

Hurrah... as ever the strongest rumours for Harmony Music were wrong. Now to get guessing for next year... :wink:

Darth_Tuba

Not really. Coventry carol is decidedly unchristmasy (even though thats not a word!). It's a cracking little piece of music, but it's sombre mood doesnt go down well when carolling to people expecting jingle bells! :)

weenie

:twisted:
Well Darth, I think I had my spies in the right place, I'll see if I can find out what next years piece is by using my newly purchased ouije board!

Roger Thorne

floral_dance said:
what about Kalediescope then, how long does it last and what is it like, never played it and don't think I have heard it.
I've been looking for information on this, but at the moment all I can find is that it lasts just over 11 minutes. Hopefully as the composer is now a member of tMP he may be able to give us some more details. :roll:

:wink:

iggmeister

As regards Coventry Variations, it just so happened that Cory played a new extended version at the Best of British concert after the Open last weekend. What a coincidence! Whether the first section bands will play the original or not is not clear. Perhaps the Coryboys and girls can confirm what they recorded for the CD?

As regards top section my source was correct. You may say 'Oh you are bound to say that' but if you read back my posts they are consistent.

I seem to remember that Vizcaya features the tombones quite a lot. Remember playing it in Cornwall Youth Band conducted by Albert Chappell and he kept giving the trombones hell for being out of tune. Will be a tough test for the 3rd section. Dont know the Sparke piece but the others are great choices in my opinion.

Still, this years nationals are only now starting. Good luck to all, (especially the West of England bands!).

Igg

tewkeshorn

Account Suspended
Vizcaya, don't know about that one. Will look forward to starting practicing again, anyone know what the Horn part's like? :p

Suz

Coventry Variations

We played Coventry Variations at the Yeovil entertainment contest a few years ago. It is about the bombing of Coventry Cathedral during one of the wars.

We all thought it was a great piece of music.

Moy

DRG said:
It's a set of variations on Coventry Carol, only just over 8mins long though, bit of a short test really.

The piece has had more variations added so will obviously be longer now.
Have just listened to Tristan Encounters by Martin Elerby....what a test.
Loads of plastic underpants needed in this one I think.

Moy

floral_dance said:
what about Kalediescope then, how long does it last and what is it like, never played it and don't think I have heard it.
You will enjoy it....all Sparkies music is great.....him and Peter Graham. :D

Coventry Variations

DRG said:

The original, written in 1986, was only about 8 minutes long.
However, more recently, Bram Tovey was asked to write some additional variations in order to bring it up to 'contest length'.
I was a member of the Clarence Adoo Brass Band who performed this music under the direction of the composer at Croydon Citadel in June.
Although we had the parts for the 'contest length' version, we only performed the original as the only rehearsal we had was on the afternoon of the concert!

I think 1st section bands will really enjoy playing this music. I first heard the original version about 7 years ago when Bram himself conducted the Canadian Staff Band in Roy Thomson Hall, Toronto.
The opening will no doubt be scary for cornet, flugel and bass trombone as they are the only instruments playing at the start!
A warning to BBb Bass players!
There is the note in the front of the score that I saw in June that says adjudicators should be strict on bands who add BBb Bass pedal notes where they are not indicated!

PeterBale

Staff member
As Carl says, Bram Tovey conducted the original version of Coventry variations at Croydon a couple of months back, letting sip on that occasion the reason for the extended version, but swearing everyone to secrecy - it seems to have worked!

Having heard the extended version played by Cory's on Sunday, I'm sure bands will enjoy rehearsing and performing it. There are some pretty tricky rhythmic passages in the additional variations, with plenty of shot notes to catch people out. Think it should please both bands and audience.

As for Tristan Encounters, although I've never heard it played live it impressed me from the start as a powerful and musical work - not display for display's sake, and again it should go down well.