Area Pieces 2012

BigHorn

Please, please, please, something new. If I had my way the area tests would always be a new commission. The often used conservative option of selecting well worn old pieces for the area, in my eyes, is a sad reflection of the sad state of banding, always looking backwards, never progressing and becoming increasingly irrelavent to the times.

Bass Man

how 'bout High Peak

High peak is being used for the 1st Section at Butlins next year so it's highly doubtful that it'll be used for the area any time soon.

Spectrum for 3rd section would be fab!

Spectrum is far too hard for the 3rd section, it would be a stern test for 1st section bands and quite a lot of Championship section bands as was proved at the Senior Trophy in 2009

ringa

Blackpool two years ago as well. So no chance.

As for a third section band playing it - not a prayer. Might get from end to end but would never play it.

I love these threads. Though I must admit do sometimes find it difficult to work out who's taking the mickey and who genuinely has so little understanding of the scope of ability in banding that they genuinely think Vienna Nights would be fine for the 2nd section because Cleckheaton Marmalade factory B band ran it out at rehearsal once and 'it wasn't that hard'. Bit like picking Henry the Fifth for the fourth section or something.

Oh hang on......

seems like I'm not the only one that thinks 3rd section bands on "planet experience" could never play spectrum

stevetrom

Please, please, please, something new. If I had my way the area tests would always be a new commission. The often used conservative option of selecting well worn old pieces for the area, in my eyes, is a sad reflection of the sad state of banding, always looking backwards, never progressing and becoming increasingly irrelavent to the times.

:clap::clap::clap:

absolutely, please give us something new

MoominDave

Harrison's Dream for all sections - we'll be asked to divide the metronome marks by 2 for each section you go down from the top.

Pity the poor 4th section euph players...

Damn it, why are we talking about this? It's not sincere, it's not ironic, it's not even postironic any more... We should all know by now that even starting a thread like this as a joke inevitably backfires...

euphalogy

Henry V for 4th section at Cheltenham......... a big ask that is ?. So 2012 another belter from Mr Sparke or Roman Triptych, or another belter from Mr Sparke or Vizcaya or Northern Landscapes, or from many moons back Sirius, Langfords Sinfonieta perhaps, or another belter from Mr Sparke or even further back, Coriolanus, or even Main Street, but another belter from Mr Sparke would be good!!

ringa

High peak is being used for the 1st Section at Butlins next year so it's highly doubtful that it'll be used for the area any time soon.

Spectrum is far too hard for the 3rd section, it would be a stern test for 1st section bands and quite a lot of Championship section bands as was proved at the Senior Trophy in 2009

wow! just had to look at butlins test pieces to confirm that high peak was actually 1st section piece, what a belter.........in my opinion thats harder than un vie de matelot(having played sailors life a while back as area qualifier)

Adamskied

2012 Championship test piece.

Have heard over the last couple of days that
the top section areas piece is likely to be
Devil in the Deep Blue Sea, some reliable
sources have told me.

Anyone else heard this?????

MoominDave

Hope it's true. Don't want to play that one again either (though the bass bone part is rather fun). Would make serving out my time in 1st section exile less vexing.

Laserbeam bass

Have heard over the last couple of days that
the top section areas piece is likely to be
Devil in the Deep Blue Sea, some reliable
sources have told me.

Anyone else heard this?????

No

<Sigh> here we go.....

Play nice 13B

Wait and see non-believer. Lol

See AD's reply below

Yep. Every year for at least the last decade...

.... in fact ever since it was written 19years ago

Red Elvis

Perhaps Paddy can give us odds on a post from Perksy appearing within a set time frame suggesting that any piece by Ball or Vinter (and preferably one that his band were placed on in the mid 70's at an obscure 3rd section local contest) would be more suitable ? :)

Bill Willis

I heard, again from a 'reliable source' that it was to be Harrison's Dream.
I suppose we have 2 months of this. I wonder how many other pieces will come from 'reliable sources'.

Thirteen Ball

Perhaps Paddy can give us odds on a post from Perksy appearing within a set time frame suggesting that any piece by Ball or Vinter (and preferably one that his band were placed on in the mid 70's at an obscure 3rd section local contest) would be more suitable ? :)

Getting shorter all the time I'd say.....

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
I suppose we have 2 months of this. I wonder how many other pieces will come from 'reliable sources'.

Yep another 2 months of speculation, then 6 months of posts saying that whatever is picked is too easy ('well I played it in the 3rd section 10 years ago, with half a cornet section, and a solo euphonium with webbed fingers....'), followed by the inevitable 4BarsRest article bemoaning the drop in playing standards of contemporary bands because 'no-one played it on the day'.

Still, I think most people here wouldn't have it any other way...;)