Area Opinions

Dave Euph

Not to say after sitting through ever band at the areas we won't be sick of 'em ... :) ... but certainly they offer more than last year. Prague can be hard enough to listen to at the best of times (although all told I still think it's quite good) and listening to about 15 bands playing it consecutively would have been hard for the adjudicators! :)

bruceg

Dawnys_flug said:
Vizcaya is a fantastic piece! I love listening to it and i could practise it all day!!! :lol: :lol:
I think the scoring is really clever and each part seems interesting. I think that it's a great test for the third section- excellent choice!
Haven't played any of the others but have listened to them on the regionals cd and they all have a lot to offer to the listener. A great selection in my opinion! :D
Did you like it straight away Dawny or did it grow on you? I know I liked it straight off but some others in the band were a bit unsure at first.

Andy_Euph

I think all this years area pieces are quite good choices, they all have the benefit of challenging the players without being beyond the reach of most and probably more importantly they are nice to listen to!

Probably my fave choice has to be Kaleidoscope, didn't really like it when i first heard it but the more i've listened to its grown on me... the fourth variation is gorgeous in places!

Anyway the pieces should make for some good contests... so good luck to everyone!

As I am playing Coventry Variations, i must say i sympathise with all the other 1st section bass players out there.

The 'Chorale Triomfale' is a nightmare!

but then again, it is a cracking piece

Euph-Bari

timbloke said:
Accidental said:
Not 100% sure about Coventry Variations - I suspect its one that grows on you if you play it?
slowly... but it does.
Not Played it much but i liked it from the near beggining - weather that means i'll get sick of it who knows

heard tristan and coventry on cd once each and quite liked them(had a quick scan of 2nd trom 4 tristan, not 2 bad), played kaleidoscope 2 many times now, only var.1 isnt borin me now, quite like that movement actually, mite chop my tongue off if i have 2 play var.5 many more times, lol, played vizcaya a few times, quite like that, plenty 4 trombones 2 do there, and partita, played that at college a couple of times, not bad either, fairly tough test 4 4th section there.

sorry to say but 2nd section bands have the best piece :D . but i do like vizcaya! played it ones seems a really good piece not sure about Coventry Variations i like the start but then after that?....... id raver listen to prauge! sorry

Dave Euph

rickcowens said:
sorry to say but 2nd section bands have the best piece :D . but i do like vizcaya! played it ones seems a really good piece not sure about Coventry Variations i like the start but then after that?....... id raver listen to prauge! sorry
Wow, it must be really bad ... :lol:

bruceg said:
Dawnys_flug said:
Vizcaya is a fantastic piece! I love listening to it and i could practise it all day!!! :lol: :lol:
I think the scoring is really clever and each part seems interesting. I think that it's a great test for the third section- excellent choice!
Haven't played any of the others but have listened to them on the regionals cd and they all have a lot to offer to the listener. A great selection in my opinion! :D
Did you like it straight away Dawny or did it grow on you? I know I liked it straight off but some others in the band were a bit unsure at first.
The first time we played it through (just before xmas just to see what it was like, with an incomplete band!) i liked alot of the ideas but couldn't really see how they would all fit together to make a great piece so i can see why a few were unsure.
But as soon as we started to properly get to work on it, i knew i would love it!!! :D
Some of the sounds created (a combination of clashes and extreme dynamics) make the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end and leave me grining from ear to ear!! :D

AJSOP

All pieces are good. I think that coventry variations is a great piece. Vizcaya is also great but seems to be rather repetative during a rehersal. :? (but still some great music in the piece)

People slated Prague last year but from a 'listeners' perspective at this and last year's Areas, I enjoyed it much more than Tristan. Not sure I'd have said that from a first hearing of each piece but certainly from the point of view of sitting through 10+ bands!

Should add that I haven't seen scores for either work so this is just my opinion based on what I heard. I found I could 'get hold' of Prague more than Tristan. However, Prague didn't make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up as the muted section in Tristan did.

The best bits of Tristan for me were thanks to RW himself!!

Dave Payn

Fulham had played Partita in a number of own choice contests and concerts prior to 'Sunday at Stevenage'. However, rather than get bored with it, it's a testament to a great piece of lower section band writing by Edward Gregson and our MD, Paul McLaughlin's rehearsals, that I found it just as enjoyable a piece to be involved in on Sunday as when I first did so.

Dan

I absolutely love Coventry Variations. I always thought the carol was beautiful anyway, but I must admit I grew to like it more after I played it. It is great fun to play as well as to listen to. One of my favourite area pieces for a few years. It had a great percussion part too :D

Also love listening to Tristan, not sure about playing it though :shock:

I have been a bit rubbish this year and have skipped straight to no 6 on the CD and listened to 7 a few times as well. Now that our area is over I must listen to the other section pieces :)

MRSH

Supporting Member
Dan said:
I absolutely love Coventry Variations.
With you on this. I thought the piece was fantastic too.

Once the percussion parts had been......ermmm......"sorted" I enjoyed playing it as well. Although I did find some of the percussion writing a little difficult to comprehend in places. But, overall, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tristan: Listened to it several times and think it's great. Saw the percussion parts for the first time last Saturday and gulped big time. Especially the timp part. Would've loved to have had a go ai it, though.

Vizcaya: Listened a couple of times and must admit didn't do much for me. Compared to his other pieces falls a little short - IMHO.

Partita: Absolutley love this to death. Never get tired of listening or playing it. 'Nuff said.

Kaleidoscope: Conducted this once and listened many, many times. Superb music writing - as always from PS.

Overall the selection of test pieces for this year has been the best for many, many years.

Dave Payn

MRSH said:
Dan said:
Overall the selection of test pieces for this year has been the best for many, many years.
Agreed. The people who choose the area test pieces usually come in for some flak if they're generally perceived to have 'got it wrong'. Praise where praise is due, they got it right this year, IMHO. Well done. Not always an easy task, I'd guess.

The Cornet King

MRSH said:
Partita: Absolutley love this to death. Never get tired of listening or playing it. 'Nuff said.
I agree totally. I cant stop listening to Partita at the moment. Think its awesome!

Tristan was great fun to play. I still never get tired of playing or listening to it, think its just an amazing piece of music. :D

Overall, i agree with the general consensus that the choice of test pieces has been spot on this year. Hope next years set are just as good!

Will the Sec

Fulham had played Partita in a number of own choice contests and concerts prior to 'Sunday at Stevenage'. However, rather than get bored with it, it's a testament to a great piece of lower section band writing by Edward Gregson and our MD, Paul McLaughlin's rehearsals, that I found it just as enjoyable a piece to be involved in on Sunday as when I first did so.
In addition I'd played it with Harlow at Hemsby in 1989 and depped with someone else at a contest and so truly felt like walking out rather than playing it again.

Needless to say, now we've qualified for the Nationals having played it i think it's a wonderful piece. :lol:

The people who choose the area test pieces usually come in for some flak if they're generally perceived to have 'got it wrong'. Praise where praise is due, they got it right this year, IMHO. Well done. Not always an easy task, I'd guess.
I always imagined that after the Prague debacle last year, TPTB would play very safe. Fair enough, but they played too safe, in my opinion.

*Mild rant mode on*

Are there really only 14 years worth of test pieces suitable for the fourth section?
And God help us when will we see Indian Summer again?
And if we do will we get a triple split to the fourth section draw?
And West Ham are rubbish! (Sorry, that just slipped in - should be in the serious WHU supporters major rant mode section)
*Mild rant mode off*