Area 2011

ian perks

Further murmurings point towards Paganini for the top section. I have been unreliably informed that a certain Queensbury based band have recently recorded it for the regional CD.
I have been told this to within the last 3 days by a very trusted band person one band in Yorkshire knew sometime ago what the Championship Section would be

Originally Posted by Bass Man
Further murmurings point towards Paganini for the top section. I have been unreliably informed that a certain Queensbury based band have recently recorded it for the regional CD.

WHY DO WE NEED A CD OF THE REGIONALS?

Bass Man

WHY DO WE NEED A CD OF THE REGIONALS?
I didn't say that we do, I just said that I was made aware that the recording had been made. But in an attempt to answer your question I would say that Doyen produce these recordings to allow those who haven't heard their selections a chance to before rehearsals commence? And in doing so, the aforementioned will buy the CD and make Doyen lots of money

Kjata

But in an attempt to answer your question I would say that Doyen produce these recordings to allow those who haven't heard their selections a chance to before rehearsals commence? And in doing so, the aforementioned will buy the CD and make Doyen lots of money
Genius really isn't it?

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
I think you'll find that it's not necessarily Doyen who make pot loads of cash out of it, nor the distributors - although they'll do ok out of it of course.

The National Championships are very expensive competitions to run. Selling the CDs helps Kapitol to offset some of the running costs of the contest.

johnmartin

If it is Paganini (and personally I hope it is) then surely there are plenty of good recordings of that work already available so why record a new one. I know there would probably be rights issues involved but could a deal not be done to license an older recording. Doyen probably already have one in the archive somewhere.

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
If it is Paganini (and personally I hope it is) then surely there are plenty of good recordings of that work already available so why record a new one. I know there would probably be rights issues involved but could a deal not be done to license an older recording. Doyen probably already have one in the archive somewhere.
It could indeed, John.

Didn't last year's CD contain a couple of 'vintage' Dyke recordings?

jockinafrock

I didn't say that we do, I just said that I was made aware that the recording had been made. But in an attempt to answer your question I would say that Doyen produce these recordings to allow those who haven't heard their selections a chance to before rehearsals commence? And in doing so, the aforementioned will buy the CD and make Doyen lots of money
I think you'll find that it's not necessarily Doyen who make pot loads of cash out of it, nor the distributors - although they'll do ok out of it of course.

The National Championships are very expensive competitions to run. Selling the CDs helps Kapitol to offset some of the running costs of the contest.
Perhaps so that the adjudicators will think they know how it should be played when they come to share their years of knowledge, skills and experience on the day...? :rolleyes:

Martin

I know that Dyke recorded Paganini not too long ago for Naxos, but I'm not aware of a Doyen recording of the piece by anyone
It's the title track of a Doyen recording by Grimethorpe (Frank Renton) which also has 'Journey into Freedom' on it amongst a list of good lighter stuff. Excellent CD! :clap:

Martin

The 'Journey into Freedom' for the 1st section rumour starts here.
:biggrin: A good one to start, I agree.

However, those of us that are older than we care to admit, will remember it was used as the 1st Section finals piece in 1993. So, I doubt that they would use it for the areas (IMHO).

Having said that, I have been known to be wrong before! Often (according to SWMBO)!!!! :)

Last edited:

Martin

Perhaps so that the adjudicators will think they know how it should be played when they come to share their years of knowledge, skills and experience on the day...? :rolleyes:
Knowledge which they will, as usual, impart to us after we have all played!!!!!! :)