Are young peoples opinions valid?

Trigger

I don't know if this has already been a topic, being only a Newbie, but I was once told by someone, whilst discussing various subjects to do with brass bands, that I should not give my opinion, because I am only twenty years old and therefore have not experienced enough to know what I'm talking about. In my defence, I said that although I was aware I had a lot to learn, I had been brought up in the brass band world literally since birth and had been playing for many years. And I felt that this experience had qualified me to give my opinion.

Do others feel that young peoples opinions aren't valid? (Just curious) :?

lynchie

no, young people should never voice an opinion on any matter... and come to think of it, neither should women... in fact, only middle aged men in pubs, drinking bitter and walking wippets should ever be allowed to voive an opinion on anything...

now, where's my flatcap?

Chunky

lynchie said:
no, young people should never voice an opinion on any matter... and come to think of it, neither should women... in fact, only middle aged men in pubs, drinking bitter and walking wippets should ever be allowed to voive an opinion on anything...

now, where's my flatcap?

:lol:

Think you might need a crash helmet rather than flat cap :wink:

lynchie

actually just realised that my post may have counted as an opinion, and as a young person, I apologise and will now sit quietly in the corner while the grown ups decide whether my opinions are valid at all... sorry... :oops:

Chunky

lynchie said:
actually just realised that my post may have counted as an opinion, and as a young person, I apologise and will now sit quietly in the corner while the grown ups decide whether my opinions are valid at all... sorry... :oops:

And I realise that I may have sounded old, and have dismissed young persons' opinion :!:

Just a thought at what age does a young person become an old person?

Ive never actually been told that my opinion doesnt count directly.....but as a young person I have been asked what it is and then totally disregarded!!

Id like to at this stage just add that this is not the case with all bands as Breckland in particular are very supportive and always open to new suggestions no matter what the age of the person is (as long as it sensible :D :D )

well, really our opinions should count because in my first band, they werent counted and i ended up leaving the band, wanting to stop playing and hating band practise. now im in a different band where everything i say counts and i love playing and force my mum to take me to band many times a week :)

twigglet

yes our opinions definately count...don't know about anyone else but I can rant and rave with the best of them...give me a pint of bitter and i'll join the flat capped boys down the pub

BigHorn

lynchie said:

now, where's my flatcap?

As the saying goes........
Many a true word spoken in jest.

WhatSharp?

Our band seems to think so. We have a "young person" (sub 16 I think) on our comittee.

Anyones opinion is valid regardless of age. Just so long as they are willing to accept that someone else may have an equally valid opinion. Mind you getting some people to form an opinion rather than just accepting what happens can be difficult.

Big Twigge

As a youngish person, I know that very often I'm not knowledgeable about a lot of things, but very occasionally I have an opinion...

I think that young people deserve the right to voice their opinions and for these opinions to be both heard and listened to. Then if what is being said is utter rubbish there are ways in which someone can be told an alternative view without just forcing an opinion, tact and diplomacy.....all good 8) !

Dave Payn

WhatSharp? said:
Our band seems to think so. We have a "young person" (sub 16 I think) on our comittee.

Anyones opinion is valid regardless of age. Just so long as they are willing to accept that someone else may have an equally valid opinion. Mind you getting some people to form an opinion rather than just accepting what happens can be difficult.

The 16-year-old being homocidalbennyboy, yes? As for lynchie's flat cap. Should that be an E flat cap? ;-)

Nope, I'm all for hearing younger persons' opinions. I'd love to meet the dork who told Trigger that he can't possibly know what he's talking about because of his age. In any case, for every alleged 'young know-it-all' there's an old fogey who can't see the wood for the trees and can't accept change because 'it's always been done like that'. The validity of an opinion isn't age related at all.

Dave Euph

Well, if I thought my opinion in the various aspects of my band didn't count - ranging from how to play a piece to how to fund-raise - then I'd get up and leave, especially if it was for reasons that I was too young and didn't know enough about the scene.

Young peoples opinions are very valid and can be more insightful than older peoples who have been involved for many years and get stuck in the well we have always done it that way mentality.

That's not to say that old or older people don't have a voice either everyone in any organisation should be allowed to express their opinion and fir it to be taken seriously.

Regardless of age everyone's opinion is valid on the understanding that it is only an opinion and may face conflicting ones - depending on how daft their opinion is!

It goes without saying that this is only in my opinion :wink:

On a more serious note - don't any young person be put off from expressing their opinions but do remember the respect for elders saying - that way you'll end up earning yourself more respect too.

deave

I doubt anyone would've disregarded Richard Marshall's opinion when he joined Grimey at 19...chamon!

I love it when I go back home to my old bands, and the oldies say...."you're a bit vibby for a young lad!!" haha

Deave-Sellers

NAS

Dont listen to Deave hes only young, his opinion doesnt count :p , he he.

Good to see you a few weeks ago in scuba mate! Think I will be spending a night in there on the 28th of Feb for my birthday! Make sure your free :D . Will tell Tim to let you know when things are more concrete.

Right sorry to hijack the thread with random babbling. Back to topic :D

Now I thought you would pop up somewhere Jayne.

Its a good job no one listens to you, the world would be in very bad shape, especially if you think you are funny!!! :shock: :D