Are you unfit?

Are you unfit?

• Total voters

Andy_Euph

Just a thought, I've just took the dogs out for a walk and i'm absolutely knackered after 5 mins running about with them.

I've never been a small guy, but when I was at school I was relatevely fit, I used to play for a football team, played rugby and cricket for the school and used to sprint a bit. Now though I can't even run around for five mins without feeling drained :?

bigmamabadger

My physio told me I should take up skipping as being realatively easy on the old spine. After 2 minutes I have hopelessly entangled my legs, the washing line, my daughter and a passing cat, dived headfirst into the rhododendrons and my lungs appear to be trying leave my chest via my nose.
Then it takes me 3 hours to recover.
When I was 13 I broke (and held for 20 years) the school record for the 100m sprint. What happened?
BMB
xx

akwarose

i didnt realise quite how unfit i was until i was cycling up a hill on holiday. it wasnt really a big hill, yet i was dying when i reached the top.

so i've decided to do more exercise........ how long do u reckon that will last?!?!?! :?

JessopSmythe

Andy_Euph said:
Just a thought, I've just took the dogs out for a walk and i'm absolutely knackered after 5 mins running about with them.

I've never been a small guy, but when I was at school I was relatevely fit, I used to play for a football team, played rugby and cricket for the school and used to sprint a bit. Now though I can't even run around for five mins without feeling drained :?

That all looks very familiar! Have you been reading my diary?

Fishsta

When I was at school, I was quite an athlete. I held the Year 10 Triple Jump record, for example. I was always in the 100m race (although I never won it), and I wasn't too bad at the Shot Putt, either.

When I reached 18, I went way out of shape. So much so that I was out of breath just walking upstairs.

Then I started playing Rugby League and going to the gym. After a slow couple of weeks desperately trying to keep up with the exercise regime they did, I started finding my old speed and building new strength. My legs have always been strong, but my arms comparitively weedy. Now, they're pretty good arms, in my opinion.

When I did my hamstring in, I went off exercising again, and have recently been going back into "out of breath after not a lot" mode.

Started training for Rugby League again, and already I can feel the difference...

If you feel unfit, the best thing to do is take up amateur sport, especially Rugby League. Amateur Rugby League clubs take the exercise seriously... they'll stretch up properly before they train, they'll do proper drills, not just play a game like amateur football teams do.. we've watched them! They just go into a game, don't stretch up, don't even warm up, don't work on strengthening their muscles or building up their stamina.

Dr. Fishsta.

lynchie

I'm seriously unfit... I haven't run AT ALL in about a year and a half, and now my sister thinks I should do a 5k run with her... so, I have to dig out some shorts, get a pair of trainers I can run in and get down the gym to do some of this "exercise stuff"

I was fit before I learnt to drive... used to cycle everywhere... now I don't own a bike....

Seedhouse

I kept quite fit with school activities and doing some sport out of school, but recently as doing sport has become less important and playing has become more important, I haven't done much.
I'm not as fit as I was, but i've found that playing footie in the park with my mates has enabled me to keep in a reasonable state, and i'm hopefully keeping a little bit fit :? :roll:

flugelgal

I'm a grey area.. I put that I was fit, because I'm not as unfit as the unfit suggestion, but I'm not particularly fit either. I can walk for miles, but no running please :wink:

Moy

Totally unfit.....that's why I took delivery of an excercise bike today.

Must lose weight and must get fit. :cry:

paddo

totaly unfit now. I used to (believe me or not but it's the truth) compete in Triathlons. Had a couple of years out from banding and competed in a truely mad sport.

10 1/2 stone wet through and could bike anything up to 150 miles, run in excess of 20, and swim like I was born in the stuff.

I am now 16-17 stone (I don't want to look) DRINK like a fish and dread the thought of getting one of my 3 bikes out of the shed.

few! I need a drink after that.

im an inbetween cause i go the gym, and i lost 4lbs in 2days from just doing biking, cross trainering an treadmill (for half an hour!!!!!)

So i am getting there. But my skinny friend was out of breath when we had to park at the top of the car park and i wasn't so that's saying somehting!!!

akwarose

t'aint aboot how skinny u r.
i'm wayy skinnier than my stepdad, but he can run round a lake and not even be remotely out of breath, and i would have died half way round...
it just depends on what condition ur body is in, not the size of it.

Dave Euph

Is 18 the turning-point for everyone? (ie. downhill?) :twisted:

Up till I went to university (basically a couple of months after I turned 18 ) I was a sport freak! I played tennis 2-3 times a week, usually walking a couple of miles to the courts, and then back afterwards (rain or shine). I went to the gym every other day for a couple of hours, ran every day (and timed myself to try and beat my record) and generally was active. I also drank not a lot.

Since coming to uni, on the first day I chuecked my raquets under my desk and they haven't moved since. I was too lazy to pay the (very small) £60 to join the uni gym for the year. I haven't run at all and I dink fairly often.

Basically I'm toally unfit, so much that I've started to "grow-out" of some of my trousers and I routinely run out of breath for some of the simplest activities.

This needs to be remedied over summer.

Okiedokie of Oz

I have never been a small person. However, I put on 50 kilos in 3 years . However, in the last 6 months, I've lost 30, so now I have the remaining 20, plus the 20 I put on in the 2 years since those first 3.

the bright spot on my record however, is my blood pressure is fine, my cholesterol is acceptable, and doctors are impressed with my health otherwise.

My first year of uni, I didn't have a car so I walked or rode everywhere (yes, with a tuba, a bass torm AND my bari sax!!!! :shock: ), but after getting a car, I had to slap my wrists a couple of times when I was too lazy to walk 700 m to the corner store for bread and milk.

Andy_Euph

Dave Euph said:
Basically I'm toally unfit, so much that I've started to "grow-out" of some of my trousers and I routinely run out of breath for some of the simplest activities.
This needs to be remedied over summer.

Such as playing euph :twisted:

The Cornet King

manx_yessir said:
I'll answer the poll after Sunday's 5-A-Side Football tournament :!: :shock: :oops: :shock: :oops:

Better get running on sunday, or you may get some stick from the (player) manager!!!! :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

As for being unfit, i'm grossly unfit. Walking is fine, but running as Sunday for me will also find out is likely to be hard work! :shock:
St John's ambulance...on stand by please. :D

akwarose

Dave Euph said:
Is 18 the turning-point for everyone? (ie. downhill?) :twisted:

nah mate..... i'm only 16 and very unfit. i think i turned when i got to secondary school :?