Are you any good at spelling?

Are you a good speller...(honestly!)

• Yes - i'm practically a walking dictionary

Votes: 39 72.2%
  • No - Mee am kno gud att speeling

Votes: 15 27.8%

• Total voters

Andy_Euph

After seeing something on the news the other day, i'm just wondering how many tmpers are actually good spellers. In a little test they did on Look North only 1 out of 10 people could spell all the words correctly on the test.

Personally i'm a totally shocking at spelling's, always used to get detentions for getting really low marks in tests at school (probably had something to do with me not learning the words like ;))

Naomi McFadyen

mikelyons said:
I can spell any word I can pronounce - even in foreign :)
thats impressive! I'll have to test you one day..... when we eventually meet! :)

edit: just a thought.... if I said that, it wouldnt be many words...... so it may not be impressive after-all! :lol: ;-)

mikelyons

Supporting Member
When I was little my aunty used to make me sit with a dictionary and write out all the words and their definitions. She was trying to improve my hand writing and failed miserably. However, a side-effect was that by the age of 7 I had a reading age of 21.

Heather

When I was at HIgh School I won a spelling contest where everyone in the school took part.
I came out on top and got a £50 book voucher, cup and an article in the local newspaper!!

drummergurl

when i was 8 i had a reading age of around 16,
and my spelling is better than what you normally see from me, i think mine is because, being a twin, i used to want to do better than my twin brother, and i always did do better. also i dont really remember having to actually try very hard with spellings, i think it kinda came naturally, i think i was just good at my spellings. and i always wondered how people managed to spell things wrong when i could spell them easily.

also i think with my reading age being as high as it was then, i was used to seeing how words were spelt, and memorised it unconsiously (ok i dont know how you spell that word)

Last edited:

lynchie

When I was 3 I had a reading age of 27... or maybe not... anyway, I can spell, but whenever I spell something wrong, it's simply because I'm foreign...

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
lynchie said:
When I was 3 I had a reading age of 27... or maybe not... anyway, I can spell, but whenever I spell something wrong, it's simply because I'm foreign...
Don't you know it's a proven fact that all good engineers are rubish spelerz;)

kate_the_horn

i was never an awful speller at school, but i cant spell things out aloud, i have to write them down.

its getting late and my spellings are still quite terrific!!
k x

Nigel Hall

Supporting Member
It's not just spelling that seems to be getting worse but I notice a lot of grammatical errors as well. Now, call me a fussy old f**t (and many people do!) but I really hate seeing things like "your always correcting me" instead of "you're always correcting me" and using there and their in the wrong context.

Anyway, rant over - Fussy old f**t going away now!

Mrs Fruity

GGGRRRRR! Don't start me off! Pet hates - definately, and - grammatically- could of, should of, and I think I'm repeating myself from a thread of last year -SORRY.
Right - I'm off to boil my head now.

bigmamabadger

Mrs Fruity said:
GGGRRRRR! Don't start me off! Pet hates - definately, and - grammatically- could of, should of, and I think I'm repeating myself from a thread of last year -SORRY.
Right - I'm off to boil my head now.
Couldn't agree more. And of course that dammned apostrophe....
We once saw a menu in Cornwall which stated that the menu "chang'es every day"
I don't care if I am a BOC, grammar is important!
BMB
xx

louise0502

When I started secondary school, my reading age was 15 and on entering college now, it's reached the grand old age of... 15 (still)!

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.