Are you a tapper?

Do you tap your foot with the beat whilst playing?

• Total voters

bladder

As already mentioned on this thread. There's nothing worse than seeing the conductor out of one eye, and seeing someone foot-tapping, at the wrong tempo, in the other!! If I'm not careful it can throw me into a tail spin!! I sometimes have to close my eyes to eradicate the wayward pulse, but coinductors don't seem to like that approach. I wonder if ex-army bandsman suffer more from the tapping syndrome, having march, i.e. stamp, and play in time(, and in tune if you manage it :wink: )
As for playing into the stand/music, this is an effect that's regularly scored in big band charts. It gives the section a more subdued but still rounded sound, as perceived from 'out front'. What you, the performer hears, is still close to your normal tone. Perhaps you're hearing your true tone, horrid? :wink:

Danny

Tappers!

Ha! Now this is something I do very well!

I allways find that our 3rd cornet players get annoyed with me when im tapping away in a frenzy, often horrendously out of time. As they need every bit of concentration to produce quality bottom G's.

Keppler

Staff member
bladder said:
As for playing into the stand/music, this is an effect that's regularly scored in big band charts.
Never seen it in a brass band one though

bladder said:
It gives the section a more subdued but still rounded sound, as perceived from 'out front'. What you, the performer hears, is still close to your normal tone.
? Unconvinced. Physically speaking, you're surely going to get back-reflection, interupting the spread of the sound, and giving a completely different sound, both to the audience and to yourself. I can cede to your point that this may be an effective sound to the audience, but I can't accept that it's going to be an accurate reflection (excuse the pun) on one's sound. Also, the point was made that people do this all the time. You yourself remarked that it was an effect, and such should be treated as one.
bladder said:
Perhaps you're hearing your true tone, horrid? :wink:
I'm afraid I disagree with you again. Twigglet's tone is not horrid.

blondie

Now I too can be accused of this occasionally, but not all the time, usually only happens when i'm really enjoying a piece or section!!
This could be on par with those of 'us' that also jump up and down in their seats to off-beats, or wag their slides to make difficult tempos and time-sigs easier!!!!!! Couldn't it??

twigglet

bladder said:
Perhaps you're hearing your true tone, horrid? :wink:

:eek: no need to get personal, I was just giving my opinion! And unless I'm mistaken you haven't heard me play anyway :cry:

I didn't realise it could be used as an effect, that would be quite interesting and probably effective in a quiter piece. I just find when you do it you hear the paper vibrating and it makes your sound go a bit fuzzy.

Euph-Bari

blondie said:
on par with those of 'us' that also jump up and down in their seats to off-beats, or wag their slides to make difficult tempos and time-sigs easier!!!!!! Couldn't it??

for off beats i kinda usually gulp in-between - picked that up off the guy next to me as people bobin round me was gettin annoyin

hornblower

i get told off frequently for tapping, but I find it helps me esp when trying to subdivide notes.... but that is because i struggle with numbers.... at least i know i'm a mere mortal!! :)

Stewart

I used to tap my foot until I was in an audition years ago and the guy auditioning me walked across and stood on my foot and wouldn't move until I finished the piece. I tried to get out of the habit after that but I still occasionally tap my toes inside my shoes where nobody can see.

heh, i keep having to physically stand on out Bb Bass players foot to stop him tapping and putting everyone in the band off! thankfully he is slowly learning and only taps in a few pieces now ;)

Aaaarrrgghh! :evil: Nothing more irritating to a conductor than to look down and see feet tapping around the band. Especially when (i) they're not tapping in time with the conductor and (ii) they're not even tapping in time with one another!! It doesn't half make me paranoid - is my beat not clear enough??

As a player, however, I admit to having been guilty of tapping. Still, no-one can see me behind the timps! :wink:

stephen2001

I tap, but only with a very slight movement of the feet.
If someone next to me though is dragging or rushing, I will make the movment much more deliberate, so I can't be accused (much!) of rushing/dragging!

Big Twigge

umm difficult one, I think sometimes I'm a subconscious foot tapper but if I'm say practising and trying to play something thats a bit triccky, I find it really hard to 'tap and play' as I try too hard to tap my foot in time rather than just naturally doing so in time!

Probably nobody understands what I mean, but i do

Just gave a lesson this evening to a bright lad (Gr V passed in 2 years). I asked him to play something in strict tempo, at which point he started tapping his foot. :shock:

Now as he's never done this before, I suspect foul play from a rogue tMPer. This student I feel has been knobbled by one of our Tappers :evil:

Is the culprit going to own up or do I need to get the heavies involved, which will involve your shoes, a hammer and some six inch nails?

Aussie Tuba

I was taught never to tap my foot , I could end up following my own beat and not the beat of the conducter ( Very Bad Habit )

bladder

twigglet said:
:eek: no need to get personal, I was just giving my opinion! And unless I'm mistaken you haven't heard me play anyway :cry:
:shock:
I'm only pulling your leg twigglet...I guarantee that you 'sound' about a zillion times better than me!!

Some characteristics of the 'sound' are provided through dispersion and sonic interactions in the performance room and placing objects, e.g. music stands, front row cornets, in the way can seriously alter the perceived that characteristic in some interesting ways, some quite drastically.

picju96

Fishsta said:
3) Blowing through the instrument when emptying water

Why is that such a bad habit? OK, I see it is during a piece, but what about at the end when it doesn't matter how much noise is made? Or do I have the wrong end of the stick?

And I'm a sometimes tapper.

Fishsta

I was told it's because you don't need to. All you have to do is hold the instrument at the correct angle and let it run out through your spit valve.

stephen2001

Fishsta said:
3) Blowing through the instrument when emptying water

If you try and blow the water out, all you are doing is blow the 'spit' downwind from the water-key, therefore, it dosen't escape. This is especially true with the smaller instruments because of the smaller bore.
Thats why it is much better to hold the instrument at the right angle, and let gravity do it's thing. Plus it dosen't make that awful noise.