Are you a tapper?

Do you tap your foot with the beat whilst playing?

• Total voters

PeterBale

Staff member
bladder said:
As already mentioned on this thread. There's nothing worse than seeing the conductor out of one eye, and seeing someone foot-tapping, at the wrong tempo, in the other!! If I'm not careful it can throw me into a tail spin!! I sometimes have to close my eyes to eradicate the wayward pulse, but coinductors don't seem to like that approach. I wonder if ex-army bandsman suffer more from the tapping syndrome, having march, i.e. stamp, and play in time(, and in tune if you manage it :wink: )

There is nothing more annoying to me than someone tapping their feet, and it is the visible effect rather than the audible that troubles me. I think the problem is that everyone has their own perception of exactly where the beat is in relation to when they attack the notes, and I, too, have been forced, if not to close my eyes, at least to move my stand so that the offending foot is no longer in view.

If you find it helps you to keep the beat with your foot, then do so by moving your toes within your shoes, and then no-one else need be bothered by it.

PeterBale said:
If you find it helps you to keep the beat with your foot, then do so by moving your toes within your shoes, and then no-one else need be bothered by it.

. . and if you wear sandals????
(which I don't of course, unless I'm doing a hey-nonny gig :) )

Mrs Fruity

PeterBale said:
There is nothing more annoying to me than someone tapping their feet, and it is the visible effect rather than the audible that troubles me. I think the problem is that everyone has their own perception of exactly where the beat is in relation to when they attack the notes, and I, too, have been forced, if not to close my eyes, at least to move my stand so that the offending foot is no longer in view.

Bravo Mr Bale - Mr Fruity is also a BBb bass player, and once threatened to nail his fellow BBb bass player´s foot to the floor if he didn´t desist from said distraction! Needless to say it stopped. (And he made me get off the beach in Majorca to post this reply!!!) Hello everyone from sunny Palmanova!! P.S don´t post loads before next week or I´ll be on a month reading it!!!

I once knew a simultaneous tapper and bobber that played cornet in the band I was in at the time :? It was incredible to watch and I often wondered how he managed to stay on his chair! However, everyone in the band had noticed him so he was somewhat of a distraction....specially when it came to offbeats :shock:

If I ever feel the need to tap, it will always be inside my shoe. Had to sit next to a young lass who tapped once. She used to wear big chunky high-heeled boots and we rehearsed on a wooden church hall floor. I'll leave the rest to the imagination........(she was a heel tapper not a toe tapper....naturally!)

PeterBale

Staff member
Mike Saville said:
PeterBale said:
. . and if you wear sandals????
(which I don't of course, unless I'm doing a hey-nonny gig :) )

I'm sure that, with sandals, you could get the same effect for yourself by simply pressing your toes to the sole of the sandal, without any movement being noticed by those around you.

Sueee

well, if I am sight-readin a piece or there's a difficult rhythm that need to get a grip of I wil tap my feet but never after i've played the piece alot... I just think it helps when practising a part. plus I dont actually tap I just use my toes to move inside my shoe to the beat so that no 1 else wil notice or get annoyed anyway :wink: :p

timbloke

Fishsta said:
Is it such a bad habit?

YES it is a bad habit and should not be done, simply put. And here are the reasons. (Apologies if i'm repeating anyone above, couldn't be bothered to read 4 pages, but this is one of those things, along with blowing to get water out of the instrument, I really can't stand)

1) You will NEVER be tapping your feet in time with the conductor, because it takes time for your brain to see his beat, and then tap your feet. You'll also find you start tapping in time with the music and not the conductor, so are more likely to rush/drag.

2) You will undoubtedly distract other players who might see your foot out of the corner of their eye and start following that, not the conductor.

3) Your brain will be concentrating on the tapping and not the music... focus on your playing, leave the beats to the percussion.

I suppose this is more important to younger/less experienced players who find it harder to play in time with the music and "feel" the speed it is going at. My first week at college some years ago I remember being told off about 15 times in one day for tapping my foot, once the ensemble was stopped in order to have a go at me, even though i wasn't playing. I was told to tuck me foot behind the leg of my chair and not get it out til the end of the rehearsal.

That's what I think anyway!!

sparkling_quavers

timbloke said:
focus on your playing, leave the beats to the percussion.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I do think it is a bad habit. I don't think I do tap my foot unless I do it subconciously :?

timbloke said:
You'll also find you start tapping in time with the music and not the conductor, so are more likely to rush/drag.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Tim!

bladder

We were playing some of that there 7/8 5/8 3/4 4/4 5/8 2/4 8/8 9/8 nonsense the other night... :lol: try tapping to that!!! There was lots of accented nodding though

bladder said:
We were playing some of that there 7/8 5/8 3/4 4/4 5/8 2/4 8/8 9/8 nonsense the other night... :lol: try tapping to that!!! There was lots of accented nodding though

I'm sure Jake-the-peg could tap along to that . . . .

leisa

I am a terrible tapper!!!
our back row cornets take the mick out of me cos i am forever tapping!! remember once had a workshop with roger webster who, after making this tiny girl cry (complete accident not that hes a monster or anything) he then attempted to make me cry because of my foot tapping!! :shock: :?

sparkling_quavers

leisa said:
i noticed that last night :wink: although you were making a brilliant job of 'georgia on the mind' it's sounding lovely!
our back row cornets take the mick out of me cos i am forever tapping!! :?
well Leisa, Alan will take the mick out of anybody for anything- at least you don't have to sit next to him anymore!! :?

Jo Elson

don't do it very often only when I have a tricky bar before I come in, but I make sure I don't make a noise. It's the ones who you can hear tapping that irritate me.

leisa

sparkling_quavers said:
leisa said:
i noticed that last night :wink: although you were making a brilliant job of 'georgia on the mind' it's sounding lovely!
well Leisa, Alan will take the mick out of anybody for anything- at least you don't have to sit next to him anymore!! :?

lol aw thanx!!!
thing is he wasn't too bad when i was sat next to him. i think maybe he resents me for moving away from 2nd!!.....maybe he misses me?!?

sparkling_quavers

leisa said:
sparkling_quavers said:
leisa said:

lol aw thanx!!!
thing is he wasn't too bad when i was sat next to him. i think maybe he resents me for moving away from 2nd!!.....maybe he misses me?!?

yeah i bet he does... i bite back hehe!

leisa

sparkling_quavers said:
yeah i bet he does... i bite back hehe!

ur surroounded really aren't u??! what with the feminine male, the one with no e-mail the one with attachment issues (i think he does miss me).....the list could go on!!

Keppler

Staff member
here's a question.
why are tappers frowned upon, and bouncers are not (by some people)?

is bouncing more acceptable than tapping? Why is swaying your whole body more acceptable than wiggling your toes?

I've seen some bands with an entire cornet section of bouncers... all the way down the lines, bouncing in different directions and at different speeds and times.. It's a most bizzare sight. Looks like they're being dragged over something lumpy

p.s. bouncing to um-chucks looks very funny..

DaveBB

When i played regularly I bounced, swayed and tapped my foot in a different time to the music and sometimes all at once. Still used to stay in time though :)

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.