Are there any decent christmas pieces???

Lauradoll

^^ excellent call!!

Also Stop the Cavalry and that arrangement of Troika where the basses have that mental solo part and everyone gets to shout "OI!!". Sorry if these have been mentioned before, I've not looked through the rest of the posts!

No....no more Santaclaustrophobia........the muted bit ("Here comes Santa Claus....") for the back row near the beginning always makes me cringe.......

My band played a lovely version of Silent Night last year I think it was an SA arrangement and it was a trombone solo - beautiful.

Always liked "Who is He" and recently did the Kevin Norbury "Gaudete" which is a cracker of a piece!

Sellers_Bird

Daff Cornet said:
No....no more Santclaustrophobia........the muted bit ("Here comes Santa Claus....") for the back row near the beginning always makes me cringe.......

why? because you cant play it?:confused:

Sellers_Bird said:
why? because you cant play it?

Thanks for the vote of confidence...... ;)

It's not because I can't, it's because I have to play it (every year)...... just not my cup of tea that's all.

Actually I take it back - the 2nd half of SantaClaustrophobia is quite good - especially the theme tune to "Santa Claus the movie" and the alternative versions we sing on the band bus...

anyway......sorry.......topic.......

bumblebee

Just in case anyone is in doubt, I've never heard anyone play santaclaustrophobia better than Sellers Bird does!

Daff Cornet said:
Actually I take it back - the 2nd half of SantaClaustrophobia is quite good - especially the theme tune to "Santa Claus the movie" and the alternative versions we sing on the band bus...

anyway......sorry.......topic.......

Glad you said that Mr or there may have been some serious trouble in the car to band!! Thats my favourite Christmas piece because of the Santa Claus the movie bit, even before i came to Nitten though obviously Neil does make it sound fab!! See you in a bit!
Han xx

nickjones

vonny said:
At our band rehearsal on Wednesday evening the conductor brought a piece called 'Asway in a manger' It was difficult to play in places, but eh your band is in the championship section - so no worries there :)

Yvonne x

Asway in a manger is written by John Parkinson , he wrote a fanfare type piece called "Salute" which we did in Norway earlier this year , Andy Berryman did bring a few pieces down and Asway in a Manger is one of them , there was another one written by John which was very similer to "Psalm of Praise"
but as regards to any decent chrimbo piece..Mmmm the jury is still out on that.. :D

I've not seen one mention of Christmas Praise and Christmas Joy from the SA green book :biggrin: . A few nice ones in there ,not the hardest thing ever but sound nice , eg: a carol fantasy ,silent night ,how far is it to bethlehem. The 3/4 bit featuring "the holy and the ivy" in a carol fantasy is a nightmare if you have bad horns and barritones;)

Gavin

Supporting Member
Not up to us to say if they are decent or not, but we do have some.

Go to www.jagrins.com and follow the links through our online Music Catalogue to Christmas Music. There is also a Christmas piece by Mark Hutcherson in our Ten Piece Collection.

Gavin
JAGRINS Music Publications
www.jagrins.com

groovy

Can't remember who wrote/arranged it but there is a great piece called Joy which is based on "Oh rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" (I think) and features great clapping from the trombones.

tubafran said:
Could you get a spurt on - Killamarsh has it's first "Christmas" job on the 11th November. We are performing at the turning on of the village Christmas Lights. Now that's just wrong carols before Rememberance Day. Anyone else playing carols earlier than that?

Yes!

3rd Oct 2003 (tmp post)

We start on Nov 19th this year.

tubafran

Janet Watkins said:
Yes!

3rd Oct 2003 (tmp post)

We start on Nov 19th this year.

This must just be a Derbyshire thing then - when I asked why the "Christmas" lights were being turned on so early I was told that the traders wanted it - 6 weeks before Christmas! - I suppose they think they'll get more shoppers but generally the main retailers refer to the Christmas trade getting later each year - so why do they need to push it so early?

Buying Christmas music early that makes sense but not Christmas shopping.

lausonbass

i went to see the enfield citadel band last night and they played a piece called comfort ad Joy by Martyn Thomas and i sounded fantastic a great kit part and bass trom part, very rocky, really good

ScaryFlugel

SADrummerJones said:
<snip> from the SA green book :biggrin: . A few nice ones in there ,not the hardest thing ever but sound nice , eg: a carol fantasy ,silent night ,how far is it to bethlehem.

If you like "How Far is it to Bethlehem", there's a new arrangement of it on Wright & Round's books this year (there's nothing wrong with shameless plugs ;-)) - give it a go and let me know what you think!

i absolutely love when a child is born, its my request in every rehearsal at the moment, i was chuffed we played it three times in 1 night

Gorgie boy has written a cracking arrangement of 'O Holy Night' which has a trombone solo in it. Our band liked playing it and the audience loved it when we played it!!

Dave Payn

A couple I can recommend that haven't already been mentioned.

Darrol Barry's Variations on Adeste Fidelis (Wright and Round), highly inventive and playable by most bands.

We Three Kings arr. John Iveson (BrassWind Publications), originally arranged for the PJBE, but re-set by John Iveson for BB. It needs a competent (and full) percussion section. I feel it's rather descriptive, giving the picture of the three kings on the outset of their long journey, dark and dismal with raindrops falling and thunder rolling in the background, silghtly more cheerful as they see the star appearing in the east. Much more joyful as they present themselves to the new born King and then more solemn again, trudging off into the dark having completed their visit and given their presents.

Last edited: