ARE THE CHINEESE SAXOPHES ANY GOOD

Andrew Norman

I am looking at a Conn TS711 and was looking for some feedback on there quality.
Thanks Paul.
Hi Paul this is a Brass Forum so you are unlikely to get useful advice on Saxophones however for what it's worth, Chinese instruments are now much better than they used to be and anything that Conn/Selmer put their name to will be better than the cheaper unbranded models.
A secondhand American or Japanese made instrument is going to hold its value better in the long run.
Good luck.

2nd tenor

sorry forgot "brass"forum but in my stupidity they are made from brass. Sorry chaps.
The vast bulk of the expertise here is for Brass Band type instruments (I believe that that’s what this forum is all about) but you struck lucky getting a really helpful response from someone experienced in Wind/Military Band instruments. I hope that you enjoy the Sax, a bit different to ‘Brass’ as we know it here but nearly all music is good. :) .

Tom-King

I imagine the general trends are similar?

In general... There's okay Chinese and there's poor quality Chinese.

To some extent you get what you pay for (though not always).

There are companies that run factories in China; supply the designs (or at least tweaks to designs) to existing companies/factories (eg: Jinbao); do quality control when instruments arrive; audit the factories and so on.
Obviously these are going to be offering much better instruments than companies that just buy "stencils" (off the shelf models with their branding attached).

In other words, do your homework on the specific brand and see which category they fall into.

pbirch

Hi Paul this is a Brass Forum so you are unlikely to get useful advice on Saxophones however for what it's worth, Chinese instruments are now much better than they used to be and anything that Conn/Selmer put their name to will be better than the cheaper unbranded models.
A secondhand American or Japanese made instrument is going to hold its value better in the long run.
Good luck.
I don't know about that, at least one of our members is a decent saxophonist and might be able to give you a useful opinion

paul hardwick

I piked a Bach Strad 37 up a few days ago, like an idiot i asked my trumpet teacher to show me what it would do, so she said pick a piece, Haydn's trumpet concherto i have never heard a better rendition, she is RSM Manchester graduate speciality trumpet. I was going to get it re plated but been talked out of it as it could alter the tone.
Paul.

2nd tenor

I piked a Bach Strad 37 up a few days ago, like an idiot i asked my trumpet teacher to show me what it would do, so she said pick a piece, Haydn's trumpet concherto i have never heard a better rendition, she is RSM Manchester graduate speciality trumpet. I was going to get it re plated but been talked out of it as it could alter the tone.
Paul.
You’re not the first to have such an experience - or a similar one - and you won’t be the last. The positive things to come out of this are knowing how good that instrument can sound and that your Teacher can play really well.

Last edited: