Are bagpipes musical instruments or weapons?

BrianSA

Mid 60s I was in a band at the Edinburgh Tattoo that was to go on after The Massed Pipes and Drums of The Highland Division. Waiting in the wings whilst they tuned up (?). Agony, I still can't bear the cat stranglers.

julian

You asked the question; don't fear this answer.

You asked the question; don't fear this answer.
Don't fear the answer at all - it's only supposed to be a bit of banter to relieve stress, but then it just went off on a strange direction! Let's get a few other posts going!

Toxophile

Did you actually read my post at the top of the thread? - Just asking........
Yes I did. Did you read my answer? It could be assumed you are referring only to the Great Highland Bagpipe in your question. However you only referred to bagpipes and as I pointed out that is akin to classing all brass instruments as trumpets or all string instruments as violins.

julian

Yes I did. Did you read my answer? It could be assumed you are referring only to the Great Highland Bagpipe in your question. However you only referred to bagpipes and as I pointed out that is akin to classing all brass instruments as trumpets or all string instruments as violins.
Hmm. I see what you mean. The question remains - are any of them musical instruments, or are the all weapons of war?......